aberdeen-music

The Feeding Of The 5000 to be performed live in London November

Yep, Crass man Steve Ignorant and selected guests will be performing Crass opus The Feeding Of The 5000 at Shepherds Bush Empire Nov. 24th and 25th. Also appearing alongside and performing for the first time in over two decades are FLUX OF PINK INDIANS plus CONFLICT, ZOUNDS, and THE RESTARTS. For more information and on how to obtain tickets, visit Conflict Appearances

Guest Phantomsmasher

As partial as I am to a listen to the odd Crass record, 15 quid for what is essentially a cabaret show, with old punks reliving their past glories seems a bit excessive to me. I guess Steve Ignorant must have ran out of cash and felt like fleecing it out of the 'true believers' ;)

As partial as I am to a listen to the odd Crass record, 15 quid for what is essentially a cabaret show, with old punks reliving their past glories seems a bit excessive to me. I guess Steve Ignorant must have ran out of cash and felt like fleecing it out of the 'true believers' ;)

A cabaret show? Sure, if you're talking about fests such as Wasted, then I'd be the first to agree with you, but in this case, man not at all. And hey, what is wrong with celebrating a movement as important, and yes truly revolutionary, as anarcho punk, and whose impact is still being felt today? A thing of worthy attention no? And we're talking about a quite seminal release whose message would touch many thousands of people up and down the country, and a band whose politics would introduce anarchism to an entirely new generation. So should we remember? Most definitely.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
A cabaret show? Sure, if you're talking about fests such as Wasted, then I'd be the first to agree with you, but in this case, man not at all. And hey, what is wrong with celebrating a movement as important, and yes truly revolutionary, as anarcho punk, and whose impact is still being felt today? A thing of worthy attention no? And we're talking about a quite seminal release whose message would touch many thousands of people up and down the country, and a band whose politics would introduce anarchism to an entirely new generation. So should we remember? Most definitely.

you're right, how can you put a price on something so beneficial to the world?

• 4 months later...

yeah, about as much impact as a 5 mm BB falling off a coffee table.

as it says in the toilets in drummonds "PUKS NOT DEAD" - yes, it includes that sp' error for those who haven't seen it.

time to wake up and smell the nu metal

Saw Conflict over the weekend, they were playing the Wasted festival now called Rebellion. Guess they didnt consider it to be too much of a cabaret show! Much to a lot of anarcho punks disappointment Colin Jerwood came on stage sporting a freshly ironed white shirt whats that all about? First time Ive seen them and was blown away. Had a bleather with Colin the day after at their stall, what a genuinely interesting and nice bloke he is. Hopefully catch them again soon..

Saw Conflict over the weekend, they were playing the Wasted festival now called Rebellion. Guess they didn’t consider it to be too much of a cabaret show! Much to a lot of anarcho punk’s disappointment Colin Jerwood came on stage sporting a freshly ironed white shirt – what’s that all about? First time I’ve seen them and was blown away. Had a bleather with Colin the day after at their stall, what a genuinely interesting and nice bloke he is. Hopefully catch them again soon..

Gotta say that I do have mixed feelings regarding Conflict, Subhumans et al playin' fests like Wasted, but hey I ain't gonna get upset about it. But man that's cool you enjoyed Conflict. Yeah they're truly awesome live. Caught 'em on four occasions - with Schwarzenegger and Fear Of Fear at The Venue '94, with Citizen Fish, DIRT, and Kochise in a warehouse near Kings Cross '94, with Icons Of Filth, Subhumans, Lost Cherrees, Anti-Flag, Disorder, Inner Terrestrials, Headjam, and more at The Forum '03, and with Lost Cherrees and Constant Fear Glasgow '05. Lookin' forward to catching 'em again November. A much maligned band, but shit I think they're great. And still puttin' out material of quite incredible intensity and power.

What's a "BB" ?

"Nu" metal is sit, wak, pis and utter fuing bollcks - put that in your spelling rule book you drone. You're just judging graffiti for the man - we don't need your grammatical systems

and oppressive lexicons - viv le puk

yeah, about as much impact as a 5 mm BB falling off a coffee table.

as it says in the toilets in drummonds "PUKS NOT DEAD" - yes, it includes that sp' error for those who haven't seen it.

time to wake up and smell the nu metal

What's a "BB" ?

"Nu" metal is sit, wak, pis and utter fuing bollcks - put that in your spelling rule book you drone. You're just judging graffiti for the man - we don't need your grammatical systems

Ball Bearing.

and was it soemthing from midsummers night's dream and one of it's "stars" not being dead, forsueth, perchance, folly! ha!

What's a "BB" ?

*abe lincoln voice* "In this case, and hitherforth - 'BB', means 'Bawbag'."

but yes, a ball bearing.

im not into nu metal myself, just referring what, imo, replaced puk.

nevermind the bollocks, oh wait....it is bollocks.

Feeding%20Egos%20Aka.jpg

Looks like the other Crass guys aren't too happy with old Stevie. :laughing:

This is taken from the Active Distribution site, and not the work of Steve's former Crass collegues. Yes, it is true that both Gee and Penny were not entirely enthused by news of this event, however as I've said this is but a celebration of times past.

And regarding this events critics, and I'm thinking in particular of those who have posted on the PE board on this very topic, I'd be far more inclined to listen to what they had to say if those who'd expressed their utter disgust and dismay were active participants in political action. If they're gonna talk about a betrayal of this community and what it stands for, then they should first take a long look at themselves. The movement's revolutionary potential has been squandered. While many of it's early advocates, some of which are appearing at this event, took their politics seriously, gettin' out there and doing shit, today's participants only wanna rock out and get drunk. Making punk a threat again indeed.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
And regarding this events critics, and I'm thinking in particular of those who have posted on the PE board on this very topic, I'd be far more inclined to listen to what they had to say if those who'd expressed their utter disgust and dismay were active participants in political action. If they're gonna talk about a betrayal of this community and what it stands for, then they should first take a long look at themselves. The movement's revolutionary potential has been squandered. While many of it's early advocates, some of which are appearing at this event, took their politics seriously, gettin' out there and doing shit, today's participants only wanna rock out and get drunk. Making punk a threat again indeed.

There you have it, folks. Unless you've spent X amount of years "doing shit", you're not allowed to criticise this charade for the hollow cash-in that it is. Anarcho-punk has been on life-support for years, this cabaret show will kill it once and for all. And thank fuck for that, hopefully all the has-beens will piss off once and for all. I realise I'm not allowed to think this because I don't spend my life thinking in slogans and being out there "on the streets". Apparently all meaningful political activity takes place there. It must do, someone told me.

Anarcho-punk drained all the fun out of punk and turned it into a sterile, humourless haven for uptight, intolerant hippies who won't be missed in the slightest. Can only hope this is reversed now with its long-overdue demise.:up:

"Yes, that's right, punk is dead".

There you have it, folks. Unless you've spent X amount of years "doing shit", you're not allowed to criticise this charade for the hollow cash-in that it is. Anarcho-punk has been on life-support for years, this cabaret show will kill it once and for all. And thank fuck for that, hopefully all the has-beens will piss off once and for all. I realise I'm not allowed to think this because I don't spend my life thinking in slogans and being out there "on the streets". Apparently all meaningful political activity takes place there. It must do, someone told me.

Anarcho-punk drained all the fun out of punk and turned it into a sterile, humourless haven for uptight, intolerant hippies who won't be missed in the slightest. Can only hope this is reversed now with its long-overdue demise.:up:

"Yes, that's right, punk is dead".

There you have it folks? I've expressed only an opinion. People are quite entitled to disagree if they so wish. In fact discussion is welcome. So yes folks can indeed criticize an event of this kind. I ask only that before doing so, that they first consider their own behaviours and how these may impact on the wider DIY punk community, behaviours I should add that have wrought great damage on the scene.

Really I find it quite humourous that folks should take a swipe at Steve and co, folks whose actions have made a real and significant impact on many thousands of people, not only in this country, but across the world, while those quick to point the finger have made little or no impression cept outside their small and largely insignificant scene.

And finally, if folks are interested in reading a more detailed description of my views regarding this matter, then check out my piece (called The Revolution Betrayed) in the second ish of GFN? zine here: Good For Nothing? Records

And regarding meaningful political activity? Yes, I may have indeed oversimplified my views regarding this, and yes while street activity is of paramount importance, community activity is also of some significant value - participating in community struggles as wide ranging as the setting up of alternative community spaces to working with local residents on all matter of important projects.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
There you have it folks? I've expressed only an opinion. People are quite entitled to disagree if they so wish. In fact discussion is welcome. So yes folks can indeed criticize an event of this kind. I ask only that before doing so, that they first consider their own behaviours and how these may impact on the wider DIY punk community, behaviours I should add that have wrought great damage on the scene.

Really I find it quite humourous that folks should take a swipe at Steve and co, folks whose actions have made a real and significant impact on many thousands of people, not only in this country, but across the world, while those quick to point the finger have made little or no impression cept outside their small and largely insignificant scene.

And finally, if folks are interested in reading a more detailed description of my views regarding this matter, then check out my piece (called The Revolution Betrayed) in the second ish of GFN? zine here: Good For Nothing? Records

And regarding meaningful political activity? Yes, I may have indeed oversimplified my views regarding this, and yes while street activity is of paramount importance, community activity is also of some significant value - participating in community struggles as wide ranging as the setting up of alternative community spaces to working with local residents on all matter of important projects.

I might be picking this up wrong, but that effectively reads as saying that because Steve Ignorant achieved a lot, that absolves him from any criticism because those criticising him didn't achieve as much as he did. That, to me, goes against the anti-authoritarian and anti-hierarchical principle of DIY. Steve Ignorant is no more important than a 12-year old who got into punk 5 minutes ago. For the record, this forthcoming event doesn't really put me up nor down, although it was a surprise to hear about it. If people are willing to pay the money, that's up to them. No sense getting het up about it. A fool and their money and all that. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy this gig when it comes around. It could very well galvanise a whole new generation of people and inspire them to get involved in the DIY scene in some way. I sincerely hope that's the case, as long as the same old divisions aren't sown i.e. ideological nit-picking. I have a feeling that's not going to happen, the whole thing smacks of a bit of a cash-in. I was told tickets are 30 a head, is this true?