aberdeen-music

Kasule, Frogpocket, Chevron & Electric Tibet, Saturday 15th May 04

chilli

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like my kind of song.....I should be arrested for singing!

Dougie Bell was ace.......he really took the piss out of Bayern Munich in the first leg of the Cup-Winners Cup Quarter Final.

If I was naming a band after a Dons player of yore it would be the Zoltans, after Zoltan Varga, or maybe Basil, after Davie Robb.

Nah......couldn't risk skiving off work. I watched the final at my folks, and nearly broke a ceiling light when the Dons scored. Then I headed down to Union Street for the party.

I only had a season ticket for one season, and that was the one!!!! (But I went regularly from c 1966 onwards apart from playing Amateur league myself for a few seasons). However, like yourself I'm never there nowadays (hangs head in shame).

Originally posted by Graeme:

We're short of one for 5-aside tonight.

one and a half coz you are a crock mr eclectica

I was in Gothenburg, but stopped going to games @ Pittordrie

in 1985, due to hard line RACISM by morons in the south stand

against Mark Walters.

Originally posted by Graeme:

We're short of one for 5-aside tonight.

Once upon a time I could play 3 five-a-side games in one day, but I was 2 stone lighter then, and had non-knackered knees. I'd probably have a heart attack if I tried it again now!!!

(but thanks for asking, anyway....if you're ever having a gentle kick-about, zimmer frames for goals etc, then I'm your man).

Dashing off to pubs now to celebrate the Timson & ShaunF thread going mental.

Originally posted by ragudave:

I wonder if Luke Sutherland (from Lin Fin Killie / Bows) will pop in by to see Kasule after he has finished at the Ltree ?

Dave

Damn. Is he doing the Word thing? Somebody invite him, his latest music project Music A.M. has been getting fine reviews.

Originally posted by Alan Cynic:

..........yep..it's wheely great!.....what's next in the chain of events........I'm all pumped up............are Mudguardhoney coming?................I like clubs, but I can't handlebars....etc etc etc

*sorry, sorry*

"She's the village bicycle, and she needs to be stabilised

Her sleek frame punctured my inner thighs

I tread air, every time she spoke

Bells ring, no joke

I've been well oiled, I been drunk

I can't handle bars, bang clunk

She chained me on to the wall

The wheels turn, the car stalls

I sleep through all the day,

Cause she keeps me up all night

Of all the things I like,

She's my bike"

© Some crap local band, several years ago...

I rather like that one, FJ. Have you got it on disc??

Hmmmm...bike songs...."Bike", "My white bicycle", "The pushbike song"....it gets me in the mood to do a bike-related song ..."Raleigh Boulevard Tourist" it'll be called.

(ps ....if I was out of order on Tuesday I apologise...it was the antibiotics, honest)

Originally posted by Alan Cynic:

I rather like that one, FJ. Have you got it on disc??

Hmmmm...bike songs...."Bike", "My white bicycle", "The pushbike song"....it gets me in the mood to do a bike-related song ..."Raleigh Boulevard Tourist" it'll be called.

(ps ....if I was out of order on Tuesday I apologise...it was the antibiotics, honest)

It is available actually, I'll give you a copy tomorrow or Sat if I manage to get out. Should do. And don't worry, you were completely 'in order' on Tue, and did very well with the 'not drowning in vomit' thing...

Just a reminder about what this thread is abou

Sat 15th May 04

Doors 8pm

Start 8.15pm SHARP (Electric Tibet)

Door tax 5

Kasule

Are from Albion Rovers country & are Interesting Music's most favourite NEW find, Their sound is diverse, melodic & challenging & fits the mood. To generalise their sound can be best related to Joy Division big chords; Ulrich Schnauss Slowdive, Elbow guitars; slow-faster-harder-louder type Spaceman 3, Mogwai; however this is only reference points to their unique sound. Their 1st LP Demonstaration, contains many moments of utter sublimeness. Kasule also wrote the soundtrack for an award winning film Black Coffee, which was voted most popular feature film @ The Australian AUSFEST 2002. Kasule's 2nd LP called VHOR is out in May & they will feature quite a few tracks from it as well as some of our old favs. This is kasule's 1st visit to Aberdeen & we hope it isn't their last......

Frog Pocket

Is a rising star on the Benbecula & Planet Mu labels. His live shows are a fantastic spectical as witnessed at last years Unknown Pleasures, where he literally wiped the floor. He is a man who looks like he should be fronting some lo-fi guitar band playing a mixture of insane gabba and folk reels. The best thing is that the Chris Morris rave works incredibly well with the live sound of Frog Pocket's violin. Even at his most extreme he still allows the listener to make out traditional folk melodies beneath the scree. If there was ever to be a Noughties remake of 'Restless Natives', Frog pocket would be the man to record the soundtrack. He often swings wildly from the ridiculous and berserk to the sublimely beautiful in the space of one song, The man is accessible & challenging, he will be 100% dynamite at Drakes.

Chevron

Hails from Blackpool & is a recent Plant Mu signing & his "in your face"

live shows are earning him a great reputation. Here is a review of his last single; "Devastating goodness from Lancashires Chevron on the Mu, Swimming Lessons on the A-side unleashes chopped-up stuttering chords and IDM templates offset by a harrowing dubcore echo of reflectve vocalising pressured deep into a squashed beat mix. Killer. I Remember on the flip taps into the hardcore juice awesome destroyed production and metallic twists lock into oldskool vibes reduced into something altogether new. Mighty mighty stuff". His 1st LP is out later this year & is keenly awaited.

Electric Tibet

Are one of Aberdeen's most innovative four piece bands; influences range from Eric Satie to Sonic Youth & lots in between. Their live shows can be full-on in your face wallofsound, or a very much improvised slow sets with lots of space, like the magnificent show they performed with & supporting The Microphones last year.

Tonight they will be.......................

"To comfort the afflicted & afflict the comfortable"

Their clothes are faded but their souls are black - Electric Tibet