aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
David Insurrection

The Ruts - Something That I Said

Sure the vid is pretty atrocious, but shit, these guys were really nothing short of amazing. Still a firm favourite of mine after all these years. And man, full length The Crack (from which this track is taken) has I think some of the finest songs ever committed to tape. Sadly missed.

A great band - "It Was Cold" from "The Crack" is absolutely fantastic. "Something That I Said" was one of the best singles of the late 70's.

A great band - "It Was Cold" from "The Crack" is absolutely fantastic. "Something That I Said" was one of the best singles of the late 70's.

Most definitely. Jah War is right up there too.

And from the said full length? Dope For Guns has gotta be my personal favourite.

I got into the Ruts via their collaboration with Kevin Coyne, and was hooked.

He worked with Ruts members Segs, Dave Ruffy, and Paul Fox did he not? Gotta say that it isn't a collaboration I know a great deal about. But really without Malcolm, they just did not cut it for me.

Yes...it's a double album called Sanity Stomp. It's those Ruts you mention plus Paul Wickens and Gary Barnacle backing Kevin on disc 1, and folks like Robert Wyatt and Brian Godding (with whom I'm on a CD!) on the second one.

Yes...it's a double album called Sanity Stomp. It's those Ruts you mention plus Paul Wickens and Gary Barnacle backing Kevin on disc 1, and folks like Robert Wyatt and Brian Godding (with whom I'm on a CD!) on the second one.

Hey, thanks for that.

Ah yes, Gary Barnacle. The man would appear on much of their later material, then after Malcolm's death becoming a full member with the then renamed Ruts DC. But like I said, found their output rather disappointing.