aberdeen-music

REVIEW = Ry Walker, Mark McCabe, ParitysFall

StewCat

Aye min - mare reviews - im just keeping the juices flowing before i get the fanzine going.

2 demos and an EP...how exciting!

Ry Walker

Ry Walker - Husky Session - Demo

Number of tracks: 3

Cost: I think if he likes you he'll give you a free copy

Saw this lad at the ever popular tunnels open mic night - too many talented people dawn that stage on a tuesday night.

I was handed this square, selotaped with a cd inside. It said Ry Walker on the front.

I ripped it open. Put it in my CD Player.

This Cd is way too easy to listen to. Ry Walked has a cool jazzy/folky stlye of guitar playing - the tone on the recording sounds lo-fi enough to sound like OLD TIME RADIO and Ryans voice is so warm - mmmmm soothing like the most perfect cup of coffee.

Track one is Road to nearest Bar (featured on www.myspace.com/rywalker) its a groovy (and i mean groovy) tune about drinking, reading news papers hungover, bumming about, road trips,mostly drinking though...and song with a whistling solo needs a grammy.

Track two The Floor is the highest light of this demo. Its such a simple jazz tune - Very Jamie Cullem(sp? i dunno his name) esq - also reminds me of some of Brian Piltins old stuff. Track three is called Beach Hut - its mostly a song about being at the beach...surly not aberdeen beach??? Like The Floor is a simplistic jazzy track - very honest and a nice wee tune to listen to. Must quote the best line in the cd is in this song: "The walls may be two inches thick, the sight of seagulls make me sick, but if your Scottish, Irish, Arabic"

Really cant find a bad word to say about this...cept the '1234' on track 2 is out of time and invest in a cd box but because it was free i cant complain - just record more stuff and gig more!

10/10

Mark McCabe

Mark McCabe - You Needed to Know...and this is the only way i know how - Demo

Number of Tracks: 3

Price: Unknown - i think he also just gives them away - good show!

This Cd also comes in wee paper square - cept this time it has nice little drawing on it!

Track one Tesco Value Devorce (cool name) starts off cool - like a Cat Power song -minimal and enough. The lyrics in the first verce are AMAZING - its about a smelly bum of a husband who is about to be left by his wife...really cool somgwriting - but after that the lyrics sound like you rushed to get them finished. Also the music changes from a nice picking strings tune to a horrible strummy Dashboard esq - im even baffled how you made that change. I like the vocals in this song untill they start to go higher - ruined it for me. Track two Playground Competition is not very good. Sounds like a rubbish emo song played on acoustic guitar. Not very original. And the vocals are poor on this recording - they are too whiney to hear what your singing about. Track 3 You Need to know... i had to turn off 45 seconds into it. Its fast pased and all over the shop. Vocals crap again - whiney - prob about an ex-girlfriend. me no like.

First song there is room for improvement but the other two tracks are either not to my taste or really shit OR it might be so edgy that nobody understands.

3/10

last but not least!

PARITYSFALL

ParitysFall - ParitysFall EP

Cost: Unknown - but you should buy one at their EP Launch on 23/11/06 @ Snafu

Picked up a brown package off the stairs of my flat. Ripped it open. Unwrapped it from a smelly old Asda bag and there it was... A BRAND SPANKING NEW PARITYFALL EP!!

It has cool artwork (see their myspace - www.myspace.com/paritysfall) my flatmate is impressed - he takes lots of photos of lamp posts...dont ask...

Before i listened to this i had seen them live (infact played a gig with them) before and knew its not really the kind of music im into...but here goes:

Track one What are we looking for has an intro that reminds me of incubus a bit - its nice - the the vocals kick in! They are nice as well - not too sure what is the dude is singing about but i like his vocals - kinda sounds Breathy/Spoken. The chorus is a little cheesy but everyone loves a cheesy harmony! Track two Escape this Crash starts off affa out of time - and very Biffy Clyroish. Im also not too keen on the vocals in this one - compleatly different to the first song. Starts to get a bit better - love it when the singer gets shouty & the wee twinkely guitar pickage! Bouncy! starting to enjoy this tune. The breakdown towards the end is cool untill it time signiture makes a sloppy change. It Ends on an anticlimax. I remember this song sounding alot better live. Track 3 with radiant world Starts very good - im enjoying it - dreamy, soothing vocals...guitar is kinda post-rock esq - 10 points but then when everything kicks in that delay effect on the guitar upsets the song. Cant find anything wrong with this tune other than that bloody effect - makes such a nice song sound so cluttered. Thats just a personal opinion. All the songs are on their myspace!

Overall the sound quality on this record cant be touched - recorded at Exile Studios - think i might book a few recording sessions there for my band. Highest Quality!

8/10

thats it...im spent...untill i get some more demos i guess.:finger:

Mark McCabe

Mark McCabe - You Needed to Know...and this is the only way i know how - Demo

Price: Unknown - i think he also just gives them away - good show!

This Cd also comes in wee paper square - cept this time it has nice little drawing on it!

Track one Tesco Value Devorce (cool name) starts off cool - like a Cat Power song -minimal and enough. The lyrics in the first verce are AMAZING - its about a smelly bum of a husband who is about to be left by his wife...really cool somgwriting - but after that the lyrics sound like you rushed to get them finished. Also the music changes from a nice picking strings tune to a horrible strummy Dashboard esq - im even baffled how you made that change. I like the vocals in this song untill they start to go higher - ruined it for me. Track two Playground Competition is not very good. Sounds like a rubbish emo song played on acoustic guitar. Not very original. And the vocals are poor on this recording - they are too whiney to hear what your singing about. Track 3 You Need to know... i had to turn off 45 seconds into it. Its fast pased and all over the shop. Vocals crap again - whiney - prob about an ex-girlfriend. me no like.

First song there is room for improvement but the other two tracks are either not to my taste or really shit OR it might be so edgy that nobody understands.

3/10

That's the first negative review I've seen you give... So there are some things you don't like! :p And thankfully, it seems to be emo.

yo, almost, two out of three tracks can be listened to on myspace...a copy of our EP is required to listen to "with a radiant world" ;)

Steve

my mistake! if im not working i'll be down to see you guys again!

So there are some things you don't like! And thankfully' date=' it seems to be emo. [/quote']

not all emo - its a broad genre. Just rubbish whiney taking back sunday/panic at the disco rubbish.

• 1 month later...
would you be interested in reviewing some rockier, grungier music say.....us?

i'd be more than happy to supply you with a free copy of our demo :up:

do it!

im at the tunnels every Tuesday hosting open mic - give it it me then...if not leave it with a note at the bar and i'll pick it up anyother day!

i have to agree with 'THAT GUY' Ry, i saw mark not long ago - his new material is alot more interesting! He's recording a Demo at my house. Funny how things go - from a bad review to helping each other...its pretty gay if you think about it.....suppose it would make sence.....i better shut up now.

do it!

im at the tunnels every Tuesday hosting open mic - give it it me then...if not leave it with a note at the bar and i'll pick it up anyother day!

i have to agree with 'THAT GUY' Ry, i saw mark not long ago - his new material is alot more interesting! He's recording a Demo at my house. Funny how things go - from a bad review to helping each other...its pretty gay if you think about it.....suppose it would make sence.....i better shut up now.

great thanks man! sorry to totally hijack the thread, the review is great and i really enjoy ry walker. The perfect musical equation to fall asleep to, in a good way :up:

Wouldn't be complaining if I was gettin' paid :D

Open Mic is looking like a plan. Exam at 9 tomorrow though, so I could actually play quite coherently for a change! I presume you're going to belt out a couple Mr Hog?

One shall indeed annoy people with my dark acoustic dittys.:up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I have a new song called Joy on my Myspace page

Oh no, you absolute fucking cheesemonger. It's bad enough having a Cryspace page, now you're writing songs about the missus. Next week, Baldy starts self-harming and keeping a journal about his "inner pain".