aberdeen-music

Stag do advice required...

Lemonade

I'm on best man duties next year so I'm in charge of a stag do, which is going to take the shape of a boozy weekend in abroad. (Amsterdam and Prague are not allowed, ditto Falaraki, Ibiza etc.) I've narrowed it down to four potential destinations - Riga, Kaunas, Hamburg and Krakow. I've never been to any of these places so I'm lookng for words of wisdom from folks who have, in regards to price of flights, hotels, drinks, quality of nightlife, quantity of strip bars etc.

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom that could help?

If your planning a trip aboroad prepare for a mass amount of moaning.

I had to plan a stag do for my mate in Preston, we decided to go to Prague - but getting people to go abroad is a nip. Money issues/passport issues etc etc We ended up at the Dog track in Manchester and had a bloody good time.

Hope you have an easy time of it dude.

Riga is thoroughly recommended, although it might not be the best place for a stag do as the Mayor has publicly denounced them - and there was definite signs of a beginning of a clampdown on them.

I would pass on Hamburg due to the likely cost - leaving just Kaunas and Krakow. The Polish are a miserable bunch of bastards, so Kaunas would be my vote - but it may not have enough to make it really worthwhile.

For Riga -

Flying from Prestwick to Riga will be cheap as fuck on Ryanair. Hotels are deadly cheap in Riga too - even in the centre. Drink prices can vary wildly, but when I was there, the best place in town to drink was still only about £2.50 a drink on a Friday night. It's got an amazing nightlife - I can recommend it thoroughly, and apparently the women are good too. No idea about strip bars, but that's something you can find out easily, surely :p The only real problem is the Mayor's comments - and the cold if you go in winter :(

Guest DustyDeviada

In my experience it doesn't matter where you go, as long as you have a good crowd with you and you get steaming. One of the best stag weekends I had was in Dunkeld, drinking there one night, white water rafting and stuff the next day then a night out in Perth. You would think it would be crap, but if you have a good bunch of guys and alcohol you can have a great time anywhere.

I was at Kaunus a couple of years ago for a Scotland game. It's ok out there but it's a bit "Eastern European" if that makes sense - cheap but strange.

When you going? We were in March and it absolutely freezing.

Booze is cheap though - you're looking at 30p / 40p a drink.

Oh, and the taxi drivers seem to like taking you the "scenic route" home when you're pissed - the realisation the morning after when we noticed the strip club was round the corner from our hotel and not a 20 min taxi drive away was priceless! Still it only cost a couple of quid anyway.