aberdeen-music

sat 14th october @ the moorings bar - 4 bands - details here!

The Ghost Of Fudge

The Moorings Bar

Saturday October 14

9pm, 3

Fudge Present:

TORO + THE APHRODISIACS + HOLY FOLKS + PARITYS FALL

www.myspace.com/toroscotland

Yes, I am TORO from Edinburgh, Scotland. The gods dreamt me long ago but I have only had corporeal existence since 2004. I take the form of a three piece rock band, all of them men. The very purpose of my existence is to entertain you, my friend and remind you of musical values of old. My music has been described as Frenzied Classic Rock/ European Blues-Core/ Progressive Party Metal/ Doom Boogie, but I simply call it FEAST-ROCK.

Influences: nineties Rock and Metal, Classical, Gipsy, Folk

theaphrodisiacs.co.uk

www.myspace.com/theaphrodisiacs

Three piece experimental dancey electronic rock from Motherwell. Their debut album "This is a campaign" is still currently available in most good independent record stores throughout the UK, released on Edinburgh independent label SL Records (www.slrecords.net). The band had the privilege of recording two sessions for the John Peel show on Radio1 (2002/2004), featuring twice in the BBC's legendry festive fifty chart (no. 49 in 2002 & no.45 in 2004).

www.holyfolks.cjb.net

http://www.myspace.com/holyfolks

They say on their Myspace site: Classic folk music and just enough pop to make you think, hmm, maybe i shouldn't have bought that metallica album!

Their influences include Nuetral Milk Hotel, Ivor Cutler, Tom Waits, LACH, Major Matt Mason USA, Jeffery Lewis, Bob Dylan, Cat Power, Johnny Cash, The Flaming lips..........

http://www.myspace.com/paritysfall

Influenced by the places they have been and the people they have met, Parity's Fall are said to be the ideal mix of lo-fi pop and alternative indie rock. With many various influences behind them, they fuse together different sounds to create a new, fresh sound. With strong emphasis placed on the notion of DIY, band members Matthew, Steve and Alastair are confident that their ambitious dedication will bring them a prosperous and successful future.

bullFLYER81.jpg

The Moorings Bar

Saturday October 14

9pm, 3

• 2 weeks later...

This has only happened to us once before back in April 2004.

This time pretty much everyone must share a small part of the blame, even the audience!

Usually we allocate an hour of stage time per band, kicking off at 8pm and finishing up at midnight leaving an hour spare at the end. For some reason the gig was scheduled for a 9pm kick off... but of course the audience didn't arrive until half nine... so we held back the first band until then. Since all the bands were three pieces we gambled that it was going to be easy peasy. Doh nope.

The first band took longer than anticipated to setup, mainly due to a slightly unorthodox drum set up. Not than there is such as thing as an orthodox drum setup. I liked them, reckon they've come a long way these past few months. Of course dismantling of the unorthodox kit arrangement cost a few more minutes, but this in itself wasn't a hughe problem

The second band had 2 drum machines (in addition to the drummer), a stage mixer, their own stage monitor, a broken cable, and a missing power supply. So the setup was quite convoluted. Sourcing a power supply and tracing the cable fault cost us a bit of time. And there were some minor pedal issues. Sounded great though. Again, in isloation, these problems would not have ammounted to anything serious.

The third band looked easy on paper. They wanted to plug their combo into our 4x12, so the Engl head was removed and the swap made. But no sound came out. After a few minutes of troubleshooting it became apparent that this combo amp had stopped working so the Engl head was reinstated. This cost a few more minutes. Then because they were havign a good time, and getting a decent repsonse they decided to slip in a few more songs. In the end they palyed for the guts of an hour. I quite liked them. Normally this would have all worked out fine, but on the back of everythign else running over it was starting to get tight.

This left us with 35 minutes for the last band to set up and play their 30 minute set. On paper this was doable, until there were some issue with tuning the guitars. Eventually Mark came on stage and took care of this, but it proved to be the final strw. This left only 15mins for the performance... which was going well until we pulled the plug.

Unfortunately we've were recently warned about letting gigs go on past 1am (which is against the law), so decided it was safest to call a halt, as being caught in the act may have resulted in loss of licence, or an Enviromental Health resolution/embargo that we had to stop live music an hour earlier (like we had a couple of years ago).

So our sincere appologies for our part in this cluster fuck. Lessons we've taken from this:

A) Promoter to make sure than venue is issued with a copy of stage time.

B) Last band should be scheduled to finish 1 hour before closing.

C) Each band to be issued with 1 hour of stage time.

D) If a band goes on too long then shut them down.

So apart from running out of time it was a decent enough night.

It might be worth expanding on that last point. We will not be reintroducing soundchecks during my lifetime.

For a venue with a much bigger stage, where all the bands equipment could be left in-situ then yes a soundcheck may be of benefit. But in our particular situation, they are pointless, a thing of the past, a legacy from when PA equipment was less sophisitcated.

The last time we did a soundcheck there were more problems during the gig than is usual for us. Presumably because only the exceptionally gullible, would believe that it is possible to conduct soundcheck, cart everything down off the stage to make way for the support band, then reinstate the equipment 4 hours later... only for everything to be exactly the same... so lets not bother doing a line+level check. Dun dun daaaaahn. After all if that was possible then it would negate the need to soundcheck in the first place.

Bands should check out their own equipment before going on stage. Frequently, the more professional bands dissappear off into our cellar to carry out last minute checks, in addition to tuning up.

Once they are on stage it's getting a but late in the day to ask for "a loan (yeah right) of a 9V battery". Incidentally I don't begrudge a battery EVERY FUCKING WEEK :) but I would rather hear about it beforehand!

D) If a band goes on too long then shut them down.

It's the number 1 reason for overrunning gigs and the last band not getting to play their full set. Bands should know that at this level a 30 minute set is what you're going to get and work within it. Time the set in practice and have a plan for what to do if you start to go over by more than a couple of minuts on the night. i.e. which song are you going to cut from your set at the last minute so everyone else gets their allocated time.

Not that I'm saying this is what happened here, I wasn't there. But when I was actively playing gigs nothing pissed me off more than having our set cut short because other bands decided they were having too much fun to stop, or they'd broken something and added the time on at the end.

we'll have the holy folks back soon by way of an apology, no fear.

An apology? What for?

In the end getting cut off was a good call. We were totally tanked...really stupid drunk. I couldnt play/sing anything and id didnt help i couldnt hear anything on stage, rushed getting set up..yadda yadda - just everything fell apart after the other bands taking so long..but in the end it wouldnt have done us any justice had we played on.

But as for the other bands - not very fair taking all that time to set up then play forever. We only had a 30minute set and played bout 12minutes of it. Felt upset after that.

Moorings is a cool wee venue! would love to be invited back but not as a way to say sorry. We'd play the moorings again but wait to get drunk after our set - trouble is there are too many tasty drinks!

i dunno - we are still kinda a new band - but we have alot to offer and really wanted to play well as we really enjoy seeing gigs at the moorings. dunno what im trying to say.

...the holy folks are putting that gig down as experience...

i dunno - we are still kinda a new band - but we have alot to offer and really wanted to play well as we really enjoy seeing gigs at the moorings. dunno what im trying to say.

...the holy folks are putting that gig down as experience...

Might be worth paying us a visit on a Sunday evening sometime before your next gig. It would give the band a proper chance to gel on stage, and get more live experience. Plus Sunday nights have been very busy lately, with an appreciative crowd. I reckon you'd be well received. Plus we have no qualms about chucking people off on the Sundays if they go on for too long.