aberdeen-music

Door to door Mormons

Swingin' Ryan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best opening line they've used was: "Oh you play in a band' date=' there are many musicians who are mormons by the way." [/quote']

Haha, that's a brilliant one. The whole thing is ten times more cringeworthy when they desperately try to search for some kind of common ground to get you interested.

Never can be bothered getting into some lengthy philisophical debate as to why I don't agree with their religion' date=' just a simple "that's nice, i'm not interested" seems to do the trick...[/quote']

I really wanted to probe them for answers the last time they came round but I just ended up taking a card to try and get rid of them. The guy had actually written his own mobile number on it which was brave. I'd imagine it never stops ringing with prank callers pretending to be God.

I haven't read the whole thing, but unless it says at the end "all the bits about rape, violence and burning in eternal hellfire were an innapropriate joke", then I don't agree with it.

There's a lot more to the Bible than rape, violence and eternal hellfire. If you want some love, hope and romantic poetry, I can direct you accordingly?

The bit where Lot (who is referred to as righteous) offers up his Virgin daughters to the angry rape mob is truly bewildering

Correct, it is bewildering. Apparently it's some cultural thing where strangers accommodated in one's home were treated with utmost respect, and obviously a lot of societies (not just Christian societies) haven't always treated their women with suitable humanity...the story isn't intended as a moral guideline though!

....the only real way to truly interpret the Bible is by being selective in interpretation as it is the only true way to understand its meaning. This is why fundamental Christians are fuckin' fruitloops.

The first part of what you say is essentially correct...it is dangerous to treat the Bible as restrictively literal, when a great deal of it is allegorical, lyrical, or just culture-specific. The fact that a certain law no longer applies, or a certain passage is poetry, not history, doesn't negate the Bible as a true and valid book though.

As Ryan has already said the Bible is riddled with contradictions from the very start: the early part of the book of Genesis gives two different recollections about how God supposedly created the world! Its even more blatant in the New Testament with the contradictions of Peter, Luke etc. The fact of the matter is that they are different interpretations of what God apparently conveyed to them

Can you show me some of these glaring contradictions?

It's meaningless to cherry-pick aspects of the Bible that you like while leaving out what you're not comfortable with. It's a cohesive system of belief that needs modern interpretation, but not simply because we think we know better.

cheers

AKM

Guest DustyDeviada
the South Park episode featuring Mormons is comedy gold.

'dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb' etc

Yes! For those of you who haven't seen it' date=' check it out here:

[url']http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=south+park+mormon

I quoted bits of it to the two Mormons that turned up on my door a few years ago, but they said it wasn't an accurate reflection of the Mormon faith. They seemed impressed by my knowledge of it though (gleaned entirely from South Park) so some of it must have been right.

i've had one stop me on my way to work once, i was early so i decided to hear him out

he asked if i believed in god

i said no

he asked why

i said "because science proves that god did not create the world, it was the big bang"

he said it was god that did the big bang

i said wait, no didnt he take seven days to create the world and not thousands of years for it to form from rocks and lava?

he went silent and then asked if i'd like to carry this conversation on at my house sometime, me thinking this seemed a bit homosexual thought it was odd since they are homophobic, said no and carried on with my way to work

just thought i'd share that with you all

The first part of what you say is essentially correct...it is dangerous to treat the Bible as restrictively literal, when a great deal of it is allegorical, lyrical, or just culture-specific. The fact that a certain law no longer applies, or a certain passage is poetry, not history, doesn't negate the Bible as a true and valid book though.

Sorry but I dont care if this offends anyone. I have no problem with someone having religous beliefs, thats their business. Anyone who applies a bit of logic would realise that the Bible is a shit load of fairy stories made up by "wise" men who, when asked questions they couldnt answer, made up some crap to satisfy the curiosity of the masses. To claim that the Bible is a "true and valid book" makes me want to laugh out loud.

Sorry this is my opinion and I dont apologise for it.

Correct' date=' it is bewildering. Apparently it's some cultural thing where strangers accommodated in one's home were treated with utmost respect, and obviously a lot of societies (not just Christian societies) haven't always treated their women with suitable humanity...the story isn't intended as a moral guideline though!

[/quote']

I appreciate that the vast majority of modern day Christians don't take these as moral guidelines. I think the most understandable of Christian variants is the Christian Anarchist view that the a true Christian is not answerable to any church or any organised religion, but only to God himself and their view of what is right and wrong in God's eyes.

Religion should be one of the most personal thing we have. Religion nowadays is more a tertiary industry than a spiritual belief. Incidentally, the Mormon church is the most wealthy, per capita, in the United States. Primarily due to the tithings it takes from its followers, it's literally making a fortune out of spirituality.