aberdeen-music

Wixel + talkingmakesnosense + Andy Da Kipp - Frid 6th Oct 06

chilli

interesting music are delighted to announce another great night of electronic music in a wonderful space.

check out all three artists via our front page friends & join our myspace mailing list @

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

Wixel + talkingmakesnosense + Andy Da Kipp

Fri 6th Oct 06

Doors 8pm. Entry 6 on the door

Peacock Visual Arts, 21 Castle Street, Aberdeen. AB11 5BQ.

Phone (01224) 639539

Wixel

Wixel is the indietronica outfit of young Belgian Wim Maesschalck. His music can be described as a warm & organic mix of acoustic instruments and gentle electronic treatments with a lot of care for detail and subtle nuances. Comparisons have been made with bands ranging from Hood to Fennesz, from Manyfingers to Sigur Ros. Wixel has played countless shows in various formations, from introvert laptop sets to unplugged acoustic gigs with a full band. In Belgium he has shared the stage with bands like Xiu Xiu, Greg Davis, Explosions In The Sky, Jel, Alias, Radian, Dsormais, Amusement Parks on Fire industy basements, fancy discotheques & clubs, big art centres He's played a few shows in neighbouring countries too, including Utrecht, Luxembourg & the Spitz in London. Now he's playing Scotland with a 3-piece live band. After (sold-out) releases on small European cd-r labels like Soundzfromnowhere and Mechanized Mind, summer 2006 saw the release of Wixel's debut Heart, The album has already generated quite some attention from the Belgian press and resulted in several shows and appearances on compilations, including a track on the Domino sampler that came free with a recent issue of The Wire.

http://www.wixel.be

http://www.myspace.com/wixel

Talkingmakesnosense

talkingmakesnosense is Dominic Dixon, a musician from Scotland. He has written and recorded music in one form or another since his early teens. Starting off on home made percussion, then graduating to the guitar. He is now experimenting with computers, analogue tape and a wide range of acoustic and electronic instruments to create the music released under the name talkingmakesnosense. You can also find him playing drums with Genaro, who are about to record their debut album for Benbecula Records.'

http://www.talkingmakesnosense.com

http://www.myspace.com/talkingmakesnosense

Andy De Kipp

A rare, but very welcome solo performance for Andy more usually seen as part of the Mickel Mass collective. Expect the unexpected.

http://www.myspace.com/andydakipp

• 3 weeks later...
Comparisons have been made with bands ranging from Hood to Fennesz, from Manyfingers to Sigur Ros. Wixel has played countless shows in various formations, from introvert laptop sets to unplugged acoustic gigs with a full band. In Belgium he has shared the stage with bands like Xiu Xiu, Greg Davis, Explosions In The Sky, Jel, Alias, Radian, Dsormais, Amusement Parks on Fire , including a track on the Domino sampler that came free with a recent issue of The Wire.

bump..... see who wixel have supported

:up:

Some 'influences' and 'sounds likes' courtesy of Wixel's myspace.

Interesting...........*scratches beard*

:up:

Influences

sonic youth, blonde redhead, the notwist, the microphones, hood, xiu xiu, the remote viewer, pavement, fennesz, amute, third eye foundation, matt elliot, jim o'rourke, colleen, yo la tengo, sufjan stevens, wio, get on jolly, broken social scene, tortoise, neutral milk hotel, mount eerie, rivulets, stereolab, havergal, antony & the johnsons, scout niblett, owen, american football, clickits, the notwist, sparklehorse, fennesz, "thanksgiving" and many other bands.. also thousands of moments and thousands of places.. thousands of words, and thousands of people (well, maybe not thousands of people, but still, like, a lot! :)

Sounds Like

hood, the notwist, mm, fennesz, jim o'rourke, explosions in the sky, schneider tm, the remote viewer, xiu xiu, album leaf, clickits, xela, khonnor, helios, third eye foundation, matt elliot, manyfingers ...

quick question

Those of you signed up to our mailing list - did you receive the wixel mailout on Sunday evening?

cheers

yes i received the message. hopefully going to make it down to this tomorrow night. what's the current situation regarding booze in this venue?

yes i received the message. hopefully going to make it down to this tomorrow night. what's the current situation regarding booze in this venue?

i'm gutted i can't make this tomorrow but i'll be @ the Isan + Tomcats in Tokyo event in early November & a few other events there. The line up @ peacocks is as chilli has posted is fantastic.

ref booze the couple of music events we have been to @ Peacocks have been really good & there is always a donation bar, which means the drinks are a good bit cheaper than other live music venues, even though there is a limited range available.

have a good un tomorrow

As nobody else has mentioned, just a quick thank you to IMP and to Wixel for being so entertaining and excellent. Liking the album too.

I'll second that. Peacock was looking and sounding ace! To think that in future if I am not enjoying a support act I can always nip up stairs to my desk to do a little work... Just like the good old dayso_O