aberdeen-music

Thomas Truax + The Kitchen Cynics -Thurs 28th Sept 066

chilli

interesting music are yet again delighted to announce the return of one of our favourite sons, joined on stage by a rare autuminal live show by our favourite cynic.

go to the link below to see our autumn events & join-up to our mailing list:-

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

Thomas Truax + The Kitchen Cynics

Thursday 28th Sept 06 @ Musa, 33 Exchange Street, Aberdeen. Phone (01224)571771 Doors 8.30 Entry 6

Tickets in advance from Musa

Thomas Truax

For those of you that don't know, Thomas builds his own kooky instruments and travels all over the place playing original songs on them, and on his resonator guitar, backed by his special mechanical drummer Sister Spinster. He has two full albums, 'Audio Addiction' and 'Full Moon Over Wowtown' and some singles and compilation tracks out there on various labels.

Press stuff:

"Thomas Truax (is) a feisty sonic dreamer gadgeteer, songwriter and performer...capable of crafting some very potent songs... poetically evocative and rich with melancholy, both by dint of sounds and the texts." -David Greenberger, Signal To Noise

"...not of this earth...I still can't think of a single show I've seen that was as beguiling or as charming or as plain bananas as this one." -AlexKirk, Gigwise.com

"Beguilingly Bizarre" -Uncut

There's a lot more press, reviews, information, music and interviews at his 'official' website:

"beware the mighty skint man"

www.thomastruax.com

www.myspace.com/thomastruax

The Kitchen Cynics

Longstanding Folk/Psych practitioners from Aberdeen, Scotland.

Alan Davidson (aka The Kitchen Cynics) has produced many tapes, records & CDs, and supported the Incredible String Band, Terry Reid, Josephine Foster, PG Six, Major Matt Mason USA, Marissa Nadler, Black Forest/Black Sea, Thomas Truax, Amy Rigby and Schwervon. He has also played as part of Damo Suzuki's Network and is part of the loss Mickel Mass Collective.

"Music that sounds like its emanating from a very old phonograph, fitting for this sort of moody folk pop impressionism"

"One of God's songwriters, he has been firing off intriguing compositions like sparks from the Catherine Wheel of his mind for as long as I can remember, and probably longer than he can." (Ptolemaic Terrascope UK)

"Alan wouldn't easily accept it but he's making quietly important music and recognition will come. He's trying in the songs of small moments to explore genuine emotions, to connect rather than just entertain." (Woven Wheat Whispers UK)

"Much to my delight, Davidson has continued producing quixotic music through the years and shows no signs of letting up. There will always be something legendary about the Kitchen Cynics for me. It's amazing how fresh & enthusiastic Davidson is about this after 20 years." (Foxy Digitalis US)

"The Kitchen Cynics isnt so much a band to enjoy, as a member of the family you havent visited for a while. The charming, eccentric cousin you are amused, beguiled and often moved by. Dont wait to visit so long next time." (Unbroken Circle UK)

"They could be joining the likes of the Fence Collective, Lucky Luke and Scatter as rulers of Scotland's skewed folk realm." (Beard UK)

www.myspace.com/kitchencynics

• 2 weeks later...
tickets are available in advance from MUSA, however there will be tickets on the door; as we expect this to be very busy in relation to capacity we would advise you to come as near to 8.30 door-time as u can to guarantee entry.

I'll definately be there - not going to manage to get to Musa either.

if you can set aside a ticket for me, i'd be most grateful..... :)

I think it's all said above isn't it? Thomas is without a doubt original and unique. Nobody else is like him, nobody else does what he does. Fact. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing what he does in the Musa space. Will he get on the bar? Will he go outside and play? Will he go up on the balcony?

I think it's all said above isn't it? Thomas is without a doubt original and unique. Nobody else is like him, nobody else does what he does. Fact. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing what he does in the Musa space. Will he get on the bar? Will he go outside and play? Will he go up on the balcony?

will I get there before tickets are sold out?

questions, questions....

I got through to Thomas.

The term genius is one that should not be used lightly. However, for New York based musician Thomas Truax, the term certainly applies. Not only does Truax play all of his own instruments, he creates them and builds them himself too.

The New York anti-folk artist has built a strong cult following for himself across Europe and the USA, somehow finding time to tour the UK 2-3 times a year, create new inventions and record a handful of singles, as well as the 2 full length albums he has released in the last 2 years.

Truaxs inventions include; Sister Spinster, a mechanical drum machine which resembles a sewing machine and the Hornicator, a horn with programmed beats which he drinks beer through and has an extended old fashioned telephone speaker the audience participate in singing into. And he has more ideas up his sleeves.

I have far more ideas than I could ever find time to build and only a few of those that I do will probably ever function the way Id imagine they would, but theyre coming he says.

After legendary performances in Aberdeen which have seen Truax singing on top of the bar with his resonator guitar at the Tunnels and the audience joining him in a conga around Dr Drakes in 2004, Truax will play at the caf Musa on Exchange Street.

Ive always had a warm reception there so like it very much, the human warmth balances out the physical chill he explains.

The event is hosted by local promotion outfit Interesting Music Promotions who have bringing critically acclaimed underground acts to Aberdeen for years at venues such as the Tunnels, Peacocks Visual Arts Centre and the Lemon Tree. The promotions group is at the heart of the underground music scene and has brought acts as diverse as Arab Strap and Faust here in recent times. However, Thomas Truax still remains a popular favourite.

Nobody else is like him, nobody else does what he does. Fact. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing what he does in the Musa space says Graeme Duncan of Interesting Music.

The event starts at 8.30pm. It is advised to purchase tickets in advance from Musa to avoid disappointment as this will likely sell out. Support comes from local folk act Kitchen Cynics.

Sorry I didnt mention more on Kitchen Cynics Alan, needed to keep it under 400 words!