aberdeen-music

football quiz for you.............

Something to do with winning the Cup Winners Cup? Just tell us' date=' I'm getting bored and I want to send the question out via email ASAP.[/quote']

Ach, you're impatient!

And you're right - something to do with the Cup Winner's Cup.

The answer is win the three European Trophies (ignore the Super Cup) - The European Cup (Champions League), UEFA Cup (formerly The Fairs Cup) and The ECWC.

As the ECWC is no loger played then unless you'd won it previously then you'll never complete the treble.

Arsenal came closest this year to all three - but lost in The Champions League Final.

Man U can do it this year (but don't want to) because they'd have to gain entry to the UEFA Cup after being knocked out of the Champions League first.

It would take Man City / Everton longest as they're not in Europe this year - so could, potentially, take at least a season longer than anyone else (who have either won two trophies or are in Europe this year).

And, of course, the only British team who could do it are Aberdeen - who won the ECWC in 83.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada

Um, Rangers won the ECWC in 72, so they could also do it. And I guess that sadly they are more likely to win the EUFA cup and Champions League than the Dons, although I think it's fair to guess that neither will win a European trophy again.

Collective sound of 'ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'.

Here's one: name the only player to have made more han 50 premier league appearances for four different Premiership teams since its inception.

Clue: He's still active.

I thought it might be Les Ferdinand but a quick check shows that he'shad plenty of teams but not that amount of appearences.

Um' date=' Rangers won the ECWC in 72, so they could also do it. And I guess that sadly they are more likely to win the EUFA cup and Champions League than the Dons, although I think it's fair to guess that neither will win a European trophy again.[/quote']

Yeah, rangers are mentioned there as being able to do it - celtic couldn't though.

and you're right - chances of a Scottish team winning a European trophy are highly unlikely.

Collective sound of 'ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'.

Here's one: name the only player to have made more han 50 premier league appearances for four different Premiership teams since its inception.

Clue: He's still active.

He'll either be Teddy Sheringham, Shaka Hislop, Robbie Fowler, or David James

Guest DustyDeviada

Here's an oldie but goodie, which former Scotland International and cup winning Dons "legend" could also have played for Jamaica?

Guest DustyDeviada
Roy Aiken - his Dad was "Jim Aiken"........

Correct!

Another fun one - which three 90s Premiership players had prime-time UK telly programmes named after them?

Guest DustyDeviada
Ian Wright is one.

Wasn't thinking of him actually.

It's another one of these jokey ones, to be fair the actual players had nothing to do with the shows.

Try this one without looking at the SPL Tables...

What is the only club in the SPL or SFL leagues that does not have any of the letters in the word FOOTBALL in their name.

E.g. it wouldn't be celtic because they have the letter L and T in their name

Does Elgin count? They are Elgin FC though' date=' the F obviously being the downfall there.[/quote']

... and the L.

Don't include the FC, as pretty much every team is a *something* FC, which would make it impossible to have an answer for this question