aberdeen-music

Eric Euan EP Launch

less_than_stu

Any feedback on the Launch Party at Drakes last night?

The first acoustic act, Chris (don't remember his second name), astounded the audience, opening up with an instrumental (I think) piece which absolutely blew me away. It reminded me of Leo Kottke with it's fantastic intricate picking, Mark Knopfler with it's interesting styles, and there was also a bit of Chet Atkins in there I think. This man is an amazing guitarist.

He then went on to play a set with more vocals in it, which were good, but none of hte rest of the set quite matched the epic starter. Still, one of the best acoustic acts I've had the pleasure of seeing in Aberdeen.

After this was another acoustic act, a guy called Adam. I have to say, I didn't particularly enjoy this set, probably partly due to te immense heat building up in Drakes. The set started alright. It was quite melancholic, mood-setting music. He mad a real effort throughout hte set to stay interesting, playing harmonica and singing over various recorded backing-tracks as well, but the songs were too similair. After the first two or three songs, it just became slightly depressing.

I don't mean to post too negative a review on him though. His music was good, and he had a very nice voice, it's jsut htat the music became very samey quite quickly.

I've seen Orwell once before, playing with Turning 13 recently. I enjoyed them then, and enjoyed them again tonight. Each piece of music was held together by a wealth of fantastic, innovative riffs. They have a lot of energy coming form them and seem quite charismatic. The guitarist dealt well with a broken string in the first song. He covered it up so well, that I didn't even notice it was broken 'til he swapped guitars and told the audience. The one criticism I have of Orwell is that I believe their vocals are a bit of a waste of a good voice. The guitarist is a great singer, but spends most of the time shouting. I'm not against the shouting, but it really does outweigh the singing, which I htink is a shame. Overall though, a very entertaining band to watch.

Finally, Eric Euan. As with Orwell, I have seen Eric Euan once before, at Moshulu, and the fantastic thing about their music is that I recognised lots of their songs. With a lot of bands nowadays, the set can seem to drag on a bit, as every song rolls into the next and it all becomes one big mush. But Eric Euan's riffs and vocal melodies ensure that every song can be recognised as "Oh yeah. That one". Tonight, their sound is clearer than at Moshulu, and you can hear everything better. Vocals, guitars, bass, drums; everything fits together nicely tonight and provides a very tight, highly enjoyable end to the evening.

...Now it's someone else's turn.

I missed the 1st 2 sets, because of my shite job!!! but got there just in time for Orwell, who rocked as per usual, even though maxi was pished. some really cool "add on's" to there tunes, like some touch harmonics (think thats what its called?) that aren't normally there.

That was the second time I have seen Eric Euan, they are quality and I totally agree that each song is very recognisable. The 3rd guitarist give them a much fuller sound, and they are very tight.

Anyway thats enough cliche's I'm away to do my Java project.

:dunce:

Originally posted by IamScrooge:

WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE ABERDEEN MUSIC SCENE UP EVERYONE ELSES ASSES?????????? ITS LIKE THE GUY FROM ERIC EWAN CANT SIT DOWN BECAUSE HIS ASS IS TOO SORE FROM IT, AND HE HAS TROUBLE BREATHING WHAT WITH HIS HEAD BEING UP ANOTHER GUYS ASS!

What the fuck are you on about? I think Eric Euan and Orwell are ace, so why the fuck shouldn't I say so? At least I'm giving some feedback. This forum is pretty much dead, and it should be the busiest, with all the gigs that are constantly going on. If everyone was up everyone else's ass, wouldn't we have a constant stream of good reviews, rather than absolutely nothing?

Originally posted by IamScrooge:

WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE ABERDEEN MUSIC SCENE UP EVERYONE ELSES ASSES?????????? ITS LIKE THE GUY FROM ERIC EWAN CANT SIT DOWN BECAUSE HIS ASS IS TOO SORE FROM IT, AND HE HAS TROUBLE BREATHING WHAT WITH HIS HEAD BEING UP ANOTHER GUYS ASS!

Im not starting anything!

but!!!!!!

Im sorry were not all full of hate and criticism,

the guys in some bands work really hard and somtimes the only payoff is somone saying "well done" or "you guys are getting better all the time"

you may want to take some time out to read some of the bitchy stuff thats said on these boards and you will see were not all UP ASSES

THANX

Originally posted by SHAWN THE OX:

Just coz U didnt cum!!

Oh thats harsh...oh my god did i start sumthin? I was making a sarcastic remark about ass kissin' for the record. Plus it's better making a network of bands gettin along rather than hav all these fuckwits slaggin each other off, these ppl know who they are!

peace,

danny.:dunce: