aberdeen-music

OK, lets start a real feedback thread

ghost

Wow. Thanks! Great to get some honest feedback on the CD - will take those tips and apply them to the next CD (which is in production). You got Beautiful World bang on by the way. Nice thought about Why I Ran on a classical guitar - you thinking spanish flamenco strumming and hand claps? I may well have a red silk shirt somewhere too..... :p

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that you Greig? Good to hear from you!

Quite like the site. Of course, I get an error on the first page because it can't play the mp3 [firewalled], other folk might get the same error and it's a bit untidy. Not sure if there's any way of telling if a download has been successful or not before attempting to play it? Alternative is to go the way of deadenstereo and encode the mp3 in a Flash movie. Works perfectly across firewalls.

The site itself is a bit plain, a bit like mine really! Could do with more photos on the main pages (fast loading ones!) and someone with a bit of design savvy to make it draw folk in. A nice example here: http://www.boygirlparty.com

All the best

Soup - Definately a Nick Drake influence coming through which scores a thumbs up in my book. however it actually goes almost, sonic youth at one point (the part where it speeds up and the percussion comes in, 2.00 mins) which is also cool. I like the little acoustic lick in this part - dah de deh duh ding, sounds somehtin like that. All round good quality / consistency, good voice cool sounding lyrics 'saw the can soup float into his right?'. A good listen and will def download some more. Duno about the distortion at the end tho... kills the vibe a bit but I guess also adds another dimension to it, creates an ending.

What made you want me to review that song exactly?

Hi Bryn

It's the spirit of co-operation. You help me, I help you, the world keeps turning! :)

Apraxia - Song X

For a song recorded on a four track, this is surprisingly clear. Drums and bass are really well recorded. Guitar is a bit muffled at times, usually when distortion is applied, but varied and keeps the interest up - especially enjoyed the solo towards the end! This song is more funky than metal and I'm ashamed to admit the only band I can think of that sound similar is Red Hot Chilli Peppers (feel free to cover your face with your hands and scream "nooooo you ignorant fool!"). The vocalist is rather good when he really lets go, however the verses are a bit whiny for my liking. Mix wise, I'd bring the vocals up 6db and adjust the high range EQ to give them more presence. Recommended listening, but is there anywhere you can read the lyrics as I can't make out most of the lines...

nah, his lyrics are usually fairly spontaneous :)

that song is particularly RHCP sounding which is shitty!! but by no means are many of our others, just the older ones....

thanks tho, gona check back through these pages write sum more reviews

hi, yup there should still be one copy left in One Up (you might have to ask at the desk as they seem to move it around a bit - it's not in the local section, or wasn't last time i checked!) - alternatively i sell it off the lofimusic.co.uk website (and don't charge anything extra for posting it out to you...) :D

</salespitch>

re: the void mp3s - can't download from work! it's on my list to download from home (swap a review for a review of 'soup'? :D)

Ok here's my review of it.

Pretty different from what would normally come out of the local scene. Very atmospheric, good incidental music that would be good with a film.

The sudden change to that pumping heavyness is really quite extreme and intense, not sure what the idea about that is, and to me it seems pretty out of place. But i really like the slow atmospheric section. The guitar licks are being finger picked, right? Sounds very much like Mark Knopfler actually. The sounds in the background suit the atmosphere quite nicely, and overall its a very atmospheric track.

Probably best used in a film score somewhere. Maybe for a lone detective sharing a quiet evening with a bottle of jack daniels on his balcony. The guitar licks are really ace also!