aberdeen-music

Electric Guitars?

craigt2000

i have never bought a guitar from the net, i always travel down to the likes of london or manchester if i am away with work anyway to purchase guitars.

Amps or effects, if i know what am looking for i will purchase from the net. Thats how i got my Diezel and mes boogies.

I have heard of a few people having the same problems with second hand gear costing more than brand new in R&B.

I havent purchased anything from them in about 5 years though.

Ross was always famous for sniffing at you if you tried to get a good deal from him.

I heard a few conversations over the years of being a customer there with him degrading certain aberdeen musicians.

also his customer service entailed someone who purchased a "brand new" amp which the customer took back in about 2 weeks, as the grand worth of amp had tube failure. to be told that the customer will have to pay for new tubes!!

yep jamie is a sound bloke' date=' there's another bloke in millers with long blond hair...i don't know his name, he's pretty good an' all....

i can't agree with your r&b comments though... i've had some craking good deals from them that could easily rival anything on the net...

i'd also have to say that r&b have a better selection, especially in the amp dept, than a lot of stores...

look down their noses...(?!) i usually find them very friendly and helpful...

steve left some time ago... i think he's in edinburgh...

you got to remember a lot (not all) of the net outfits dont have the same overheads as operating a store in aberdeen.... if you want to try a guitar off the net you are going to have to wait a few days and pay for transport.... with r&b and millers you are paying for the convenience of having a bunch of axes to try out there and then....[/quote']

Hey man, all I know is what happened that day, which involved being made to feel like a twat after walking into a shop with £300 to spend?? To me, that makes no sense, and it was more than one guy in there who seemed to have that smug look on his face. :down:

Bruce Millars = Awesome

Felt completely reassured at the support and after-sale service I was going to get for spending the money in their shop, so I did. :up: Plus, as I say, Bruce Millars quoted me £4 over online prices.

I honestly feel that I will never go back to R&B right now, unless I really need something from them. I hate them.

Reputations are fragile things, and from most the comments in here, it looks like R&B's has smashed all over the floor (right on top of a fresh dog turd)

8) Peace

ok craig.... getting back to your original quote....

Well' date=' I did it - I got myself the RG 350 EX (the unchallenged standard in hard and heavy rock guitars!).

It's F*****G SWEET!![/quote']

cool... i'm glad you are bowled over with your new axe.... it's good feeling...

btw R&B - I can't beleive what a rubbish service they have become. I walked into their shop with a cheque practically written for them:

I had a blast on a 370DX - after about 3 mins a little shit came over (staff) and started asking how long I would be as there was a que for the amp (it was two 14 year olds who clearly had no intention of buying).

that wasn't about 2 o clock on saturday afternoon by any chance.... if it was there were a fair few people trying out guitars or amps around then... how many stores in aberdeen can accomadate 4 people trying out electrics at one time...?

After 5 mins he had established that once I'd left the shop I'd get no support with my new 300 purchase (which had parts I am unfamiliar with) unless I payed them more money.

i've never heard of this service...

He also said how being asked for a little extra support was something 'We haven't ever really been aked before'.

again... doesn't sound at all like the r&b i know... mates of mine have been going there since the mid 80's (when they first opened) i've never heard anything like this...

Aaah - that feels better' date=' even tho I'm sure no-one will read this!! :D[/quote']

well you got that wrong...

i have never bought a guitar from the net' date='[/quote']

i have... it's a lottery... one bad...once ok.... in both cases the guitar in question was not available in aberdeen...

also his customer service entailed someone who purchased a "brand new" amp which the customer took back in about 2 weeks' date=' as the grand worth of amp had tube failure. to be told that the customer will have to pay for new tubes!![/quote']

as you will know with your boogie... the amp has 12 month warrantee.... the tubes have three months.... and even that can vary depending on the amp manufacturer... what kind of amp was it....? usually two week old failed valves would be covered by the manufacturer...

btw which boogie have you got?

OK Skuzzlebutt, in response:

cool... i'm glad you are bowled over with your new axe.... it's good feeling...

It is indeed - a very good feeling. I'm totally getting the hang of the floater' date=' and the sounds is sooo good.

that wasn't about 2 o clock on saturday afternoon by any chance.... if it was there were a fair few people trying out guitars or amps around then... how many stores in aberdeen can accomadate 4 people trying out electrics at one time...?

It was about then - and I do realise this. However, I had literally had about 2/3 mins before having it 'Politely mentioned' (yeah!) to me - not very good when your spending a lot of money in one shop - sorry but to me, thats bad service. Now this wouldn't have hugely bothered me, except when I came back over 5-10 mins later, the two 14 year olds were still on the f**king amp!!! So, sorry, but I (the paying customer) gets 3 mins, and they get as long as they like to piss around!! wtf?

i've never heard of this service...

I don't care - it happened' date=' I was there. I was (in no uncertain terms) told, unless there was an actual defect with the guitar, I would have to pay a £30ph (£30 min) charge for time spent going over anything on the guitar.

again... doesn't sound at all like the r&b i know... mates of mine have been going there since the mid 80's (when they first opened) i've never heard anything like this...

Fair enough, I spent a lot of money on drums and related products in there when I was younger, and never had any problems. On Saturday I did, the guy who served me must have been 18 with short spiky(ish) black/brown hair, and for me - he has given R&B a really bad rep.

well you got that wrong...

Guess so..... :p

The last 2 quotes weren't mine so that'll do for now.

In short - I'm not saying R&B is terrible, and no-one has ever had good service there. But reputations are fragile, and R&B have destroyed theirs in my eyes - as it wasn't just this guy, it was the smug looks on most of the staffs faces, the fact that 2 other guys did not intervene on our conversation, if this guy was getting it so wrong - they just ignored it, the fact the guy obviously felt two kids who want to play were more important than a potential customer etc etc.

Bruce Millers - none of these problems. Felt great, reassured. confident, happy - I WANTED them to have my business :p

It's all just an opinion tho!!

• 2 weeks later...