aberdeen-music

cleaning your guitar!?

Guest MKII

Guest MKII

Whats everyone using to clean their guitar with?

My Les Paul is in need of a good clean, the surface of the guitar has a dry sticky film of dirt on it which is showing up finger marks and general blemishes, looks pretty manky. Household furniture polish used to get rid of it, but it just seems to be making it worse now. :(

Any suggestions on what would be best to remedy this minging problem?

:)

Guest DustyDeviada

Virtuoso cleaner:

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

A hassle to get from the states, but once you have tried it you will never use anything else. Seriously, it's amazing. It will make your guitar look like brand new.

Do a search for it over at the Les Paul forum, it seems to be the cleaner of choice over there too. I bought some in the US, but you can get it mail order. I wouldn't bother with the polish, just get a few bottles of the cleaner, amazing stuff.

As for a cloth, you need a micro fibre cloth to avoid scratching the finish. I bought a Vidella micro fibre cloth in Sainsburys a while back, but they don't seem to sell them anymore.

I use Mr Sheen on me strat.

:up: Same here

I found it works wonders on the neck but anywhere else and its annoying as fuck. It brings out all thoes tiny pick-caused scratches and takes a shit load of work to get thoes jizz type stains off (does anyone know wtf they are?).

:up: Same here

I found it works wonders on the neck but anywhere else and its annoying as fuck. It brings out all thoes tiny pick-caused scratches and takes a shit load of work to get thoes jizz type stains off (does anyone know wtf they are?).

Actual jizz?

I do love a stratocaster me.

I use damp bounty, followed by lint free cloth, goddards silver dip for my chrome bits and the essential Lemon oil for the frets. I think I could make it shinier with polish but I dont want to look like a glowing fog beacon so I dont bother. I use Hemp oil to clean my viola - it works really well so I spose I'd use the same thing to make my bass/guitars shiny if I could be arsed............

Someone mentioned fingerboard oil. Does it make much difference? I'm in the habit of just cleaning mine with whatever I'm using to polish the rest of the guitar.

It depends on the wood. All my fingerboards are rosewood so they benefit from rubbing a little lemon oil into them' date=' but I believe it's a big no no for other woods such as maple

[url']http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/guitar_polish_fretboard_cleaning.html

All electric guitars have an automotive finish whether it be nitro cellulose or otherwise, so why dont you try an automotive product to clean and polish your guitar, if you have been using pledge or mr sheen on it then all residue of that should be removed first, auto glym paint restorer applied with a soft cotton cloth, (an old tshirt is fine) you'll need to put a bit of work into it and always work in a circular motion, this can then be buffed up with a micro fibre cloth, I then wax it to retain the shine....

The finger board as mentioned above is best cleaned with lemon oil, do this at every string change...oh and maple finger boards dont require lemon oil.

G...