aberdeen-music

My bass amp...

Adam Easy Wishes

My bass amp (a Marshall B-150) broke like six months ago - just stopped working. I had it repaired in R&B, but ever since, it hasn't been nearly as loud as it should be. I only really noticed when I was away on tour.

Any suggestions as what it might be? Just something simple? Or should I just take it back into the shop..?

Your main problem is

YOU OWN A MARSHAL AMP!

They tend to brake down without warning

Then dont fix right

Buy a Peavey or a Laney or if your flush an AMPEG A real workhorse amp

Stick your marshal on EBAY and get a trustworthy amp

MARSHAL thrive on the fact that people see rock stars using them

But rock star stuff is handmade in England but the stuff you buy in the shops is cheesy mass-produced units churned out in Korea or India or something

But it must be cool its marshal.

you'v found out the hard way my freind

were playing the same fudge thing next Thur c u there

Interesting fact from the OX

Jim Marshal sacked his own SON then married his sons wife so he is his owns grandchildrens step dad!!!!

:puke:

Guest Dresden Style

dont listen to em Adam

get your Marshall fixed and save a load of cash for other stuff is my advice like .... just tell em its low on power and they should know how to fix it

especially if you like the sound of the Marshall

if it what you used on your sharks ep thingy, then its a good bass sound, and a good bass sound is rare

our bass player uses an old marshall superbass head he got for 150 quid....and its the best thing hes ever used. He abuses it with effects pedals and it goes everywhere we go and usually played at full blast....its 15 years old at least and shows no signs of falling apart

Originally posted by Dresden Style

dont listen to em Adam

get your Marshall fixed and save a load of cash for other stuff is my advice like .... just tell em its low on power and they should know how to fix it

especially if you like the sound of the Marshall

if it what you used on your sharks ep thingy, then its a good bass sound, and a good bass sound is rare

our bass player uses an old marshall superbass head he got for 150 quid....and its the best thing hes ever used. He abuses it with effects pedals and it goes everywhere we go and usually played at full blast....its 15 years old at least and shows no signs of falling apart

Can I just pick out the words 'head' not 'combo' and ' 15 years old'. This is a really heavy case, can I rest it somewhere.

Guest Dresden Style
Originally posted by soundian

Can I just pick out the words 'head' not 'combo' and ' 15 years old'. This is a really heavy case, can I rest it somewhere.

agree a combo will not sound as good as head plus cab....but me point is that said chap shouldt fall into the trap of forking out for new gear if he dont need to just cos some people wanna frown on his equipment (chuckle).....especially having got a decent sound from his current amp

once you start changing your amps on a whim (like it needs a small fix) you just end up wasting a load of cash and usually ending up back where you started minus le cash

dunno if Marshalls have got worse over last 15 years either.....i had a JCM2000 a couple of years ago and it was solid as fuck, certainly no worse than other amps, and considerably better made my than my current vox or line 6 amps....the only reason i ditched it was down to it sounding too rrrrrrawk. And thats the only reason i would buy/sell and amp > to get a different type of sound

you sound guys hate my AC30.....TURN IT DOON TURN IT DOON!!!!

no sir

you turn your rubbish PA up!

*ducks for cover*

chortle

I agree that an AC30 sounds better cranked up, but why not get a power brake (or similar) which goes in-line between the amp output and the speaker. Same valve, slightly over-driven sound but at a volume where it doesn't bleed over all the other mics.

Especially since the vocals are so quiet.

*chortles back*

Guest Dresden Style

I agree that an AC30 sounds better cranked up, but why not get a power brake (or similar) which goes in-line between the amp output and the speaker. Same valve, slightly over-driven sound but at a volume where it doesn't bleed over all the other mics.

Especially since the vocals are so quiet.

*chortles back*

....you might be glad to know it only comes out for bigger venues now, when i can use two amps without causing oral offence

if we play Drummonds again ill be asking you (nicely) for two direct XLR outs from my cute wee stereo Line 6 amp (much more pub gig friendly....and set up to sound like 2 AC30s at full blast ....but quieter if you ken what i mean).......ive heard a lot of people say these amps are shit but it does the trick for me like and sounds better-er than the AC30 on our last rekording sessionette.......nu teknologie see......it also does fender-ish sounds too which im starting to like and me fookin neighbours defo like it better

....you might be glad to know it only comes out for bigger venues now, when i can use two amps without causing oral offence

if we play Drummonds again ill be asking you (nicely) for two direct XLR outs from my cute wee stereo Line 6 amp (much more pub gig friendly....and set up to sound like 2 AC30s at full blast ....but quieter if you ken what i mean).......ive heard a lot of people say these amps are shit but it does the trick for me like and sounds better-er than the AC30 on our last rekording sessionette.......nu teknologie see......it also does fender-ish sounds too which im starting to like and me fookin neighbours defo like it better

I'm always up for trying new stuff if I think the person asking me to try has a good reason. We will investigate.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dresden Style

I'm always up for trying new stuff if I think the person asking me to try has a good reason. We will investigate.

hey theres a thing

we are now gonna need two direct outs for the guitar and two for the stereo mix (from our onstage mixer) of the multitude of synths we have now.....

and then sometimes you guys wanna the DI the bass too (yuk)

cos thats a lot of DI boxes really

so does that mean we should get some of our own DI boxes???? If so what type????? (my amp has two balanced XLR outs that have adjustable settings)

i dont understand DI boxes at all as is probably apparent

hey theres a thing

we are now gonna need two direct outs for the guitar and two for the stereo mix (from our onstage mixer) of the multitude of synths we have now.....

and then sometimes you guys wanna the DI the bass too (yuk)

cos thats a lot of DI boxes really

so does that mean we should get some of our own DI boxes???? If so what type????? (my amp has two balanced XLR outs that have adjustable settings)

i dont understand DI boxes at all as is probably apparent

A DI box takes an unbalanced signal, e.g. guitar or keyboard, and balances the signal.

A balanced signal requires 3 connections. One is the earth, the second is the signal and the third is a phase reversed signal. When it reaches the mixing desk the out of phase signal is inverted and added to the in phase signal (both now in phase). Most of the RF noise picked up in the multicore will cancel out because of this phase inversion and subsequent addition.

I believe an unbalanced signal gives the same noise after 6 metres as a balanced one after 60 metres. Top of my head figures cos I always balance before the multi so never need to know this.

Send the venue a spec sheet if you're worried about the amount of DIs, but with music tending towards the use of samples, decks and related electronic paraphenalia most venues carry a lot more than they used to.

If you are worried and want to buy your own, Behringer do a nice little mains-powered, 4 way DI rack unit. Sub 100 and it's got all the bells and whistles you expect on a DI box.

Guest Dresden Style

woah

good info thanks

so like our synths/stage mixer and stuff have un-balanced outputs so they need the DI boxes yes

but my guitar amp that has balanced outputs? can that just be routed direct to le desk then (via that box of sockets on the stage)

the multi DI box sounds like a good idea actually cos it should make playing/changing over between bands sets less complicated IE: we set up / take away our synth gear and the specific DIs too....rather than sharing DIs with the other bands and causing DI spaggetti and confusion (im imagining Delbert wandering around with a lead in his hand saying ''where can I put this?''.....the reply is always the same)

woah

good info thanks

so like our synths/stage mixer and stuff have un-balanced outputs so they need the DI boxes yes

but my guitar amp that has balanced outputs? can that just be routed direct to le desk then (via that box of sockets on the stage)

the multi DI box sounds like a good idea actually cos it should make playing/changing over between bands sets less complicated IE: we set up / take away our synth gear and the specific DIs too....rather than sharing DIs with the other bands and causing DI spaggetti and confusion (im imagining Delbert wandering around with a lead in his hand saying ''where can I put this?''.....the reply is always the same)

Yes, any unbalanced signal from stage needs to be balanced before going up the multicore. You'd be amazed at the noise difference otherwise. Those pesky lighting guys.

I'm always dubious of balanced outputs on guitar amps. They need a decent amp sim to work properly and most outputs on amps have not had the time/money spent on them (this is because an electric guitar needs an amp and speaker cabinet to make it sound like a guitar, it's horrible on it's own). Pods and other more upmarket effects units are generally alright.

Oh, and a lot of balanced outputs on amps don't work properly. Probably due to the time/money thing.

If you can figure out how to keep all your cables in e.g. a small rack unit with all the cables labelled and kept plugged in to the DI is common, take the other end out and plug them into the relavant synth, voila. This could potentially make it more confusing for an engineer but they should mark the end of the mic cables. Even Del could plug the one marked sampler into the sampler.

Guest Dresden Style

I'm always dubious of balanced outputs on guitar amps. They need a decent amp sim to work properly

hopefully thats wot ive got....used it in a posh stoodio in glasgow recently and the DI signal was as good as any of the miked positions (they did both just to be sure), if not better, which was a surprise .....but maybe the teknologie is finally here....i dunno....the DI sound ended up in the final mix anyhoo cos it fitted with the synths better.....worth a try live....are you doing the sound at our next secret gig at Drummonds?

Even Del could plug the one marked sampler into the sampler.

erm....theres more than one socket in the sampler

hopefully thats wot ive got....used it in a posh stoodio in glasgow recently and the DI signal was as good as any of the miked positions (they did both just to be sure), if not better, which was a surprise .....but maybe the teknologie is finally here....i dunno....the DI sound ended up in the final mix anyhoo cos it fitted with the synths better.....worth a try live....are you doing the sound at our next secret gig at Drummonds?

erm....theres more than one socket in the sampler

1) Yea, more than likely. It's not secret any more though, is it.

And yes, worth a try. (take into account that live in Drummonds I've normally got 3-4 bands normally with 15 mins to change over with no stage crew)

2) Label the sockets as well. 1 plugs into 1, 2 into 2 etc.

Guest Dresden Style

1) Yea, more than likely. It's not secret any more though, is it.

And yes, worth a try. (take into account that live in Drummonds I've normally got 3-4 bands normally with 15 mins to change over with no stage crew)

2) Label the sockets as well. 1 plugs into 1, 2 into 2 etc.

1) it is still a secret....no one knows when it is, and they never will....apart from when we turn up and make a racket

2) its actually a quicker way to a really good sound and theres only two bands on that nite...it also means i wont have that screaming loud AC30 interfering with your fantastic mixing....which was me original point really....the wee neu amp is a lot easier to control. Fucking great effects loop (that actually works!)....wait till you hear a guitar through a Moog Ring Modulator....wuhahah *demonic laugh as venue empties*

3) will i need to supply xlr leads to run from me amp to the stage box....if so, what end connections.....the amp takes two male xlr plugs....what do stage boxes take? ...male xlr too? Do i need to carry these with me for gigs generally?

4)if its a fuck on......i dont mind miking it cos it still sounds good that way.

these aberdeen soundmen are really helpful after all!

Guest Dresden Style
Originally posted by GraemeC

Ian....its a line 6 amp.....its a pod with an amp and speakers attached...

same maker true....but sounds bugger all like my old POD which was ok for rekording, but dead weedy and fizzy live

stands up well against my battered collection of AC30s