aberdeen-music

looking for upright bass

Jimmygoodein

• 1 year later...
Guest texjamm

Also could use advice on suitable mic' date=' full or three quarter size etc.

[/quote']

Hi Dino, Mike - temp bass from the Son Henry band.

I used to play double bass in a band many moons ago. What sort of music are you looking to play with the bass as style will tend to point you in the set up of the bass, string choice etc.

Strings - I tended to use steel as they give more volume. I was also using a combination of standard pickups and piezo mic for amplification so needed the metal bits for vibration! Steel ones are much harder on your hands than gut so if you are going to play Rockabilly slap style prepare for blisters!! Or tape your fingers up. Current pricing is 40 for a cheap set going up to Pirastro Oliv's at 300+. Average price is 90-100 per set.

Although I was skint at the time and never managed to beg, steal or borrow enough money to buy one, the pick up of choice for many pro's is a Barcus Berry (www.barcusberry.com) piezo or transducer type.

3/4 size should be fine. It is the most common size (especially if you decide to sell later on). Don't foget a 3/4 sized bass is a bugger to cart around even with a good sized hatch back - full sized is usually only reserved for orchestra work where they have a dedicated road crew and 40ft articulated lorry!!!

There are quite a few websites that have players much, much, much more experienced in this type of thing eg www.talkbass.com. Get in touch with the people on there and I'm sure you will find them very helpfull.

Hope this has helped, cheers,

Mike

• 3 months later...

there's also those solid-body uprights that sound killer and they're pretty easy to move.

but for an acoustic bass, there's a really good barcus-berry pickup and preamp that's as loud as an electric bass and doesn't really have feedback issues. pricey, but worth it if you're serious about playing an instrument the size of a canoe...