aberdeen-music

Want a website?? CHEAP(ish)

Aaron_Robertson

selling webspace.

2.50 per month through paypal subscription...

If you register your domain (i can help with that to) and point it to my server you can have UNLIMITED webhosting on a linux server (NO ASP) UNLIMITED Space and MYSQL databases.

Will set up a website for you for a one off 15!!!!

for example..

http://www.jbcpromotions.com

started that last night and still work in progress...

ecommerce, forums, online gallery, music player, blogs, .. all set up for 15

PM me for details..

Aaron Robertson

Surely if anyone needed a terabyte' date=' they would like to be using their own server rather than someone elses webspace.[/quote']

Of course, but he's offering UNLIMITED webspace, so why not pay £2.50 a month for that than bother with your own server, especially if it's for stuff that takes up a shedload of space?

Aaron - are you, or are you not offering unlimited webspace? Either you're offering unlimited, or you're limiting it in some way...make your mind up :) edit : I can think of one use for a Terabyte of data off the top of my head. I doubt I could afford to pay for the bandwidth to upload it all, but I could still use it.

black matter - of course it's a bit fishy. anything that's advertised as unlimited usually is.

black matter - of course it's a bit fishy. anything that's advertised as unlimited usually is.

how much should a website actually cost because it's really not my field of expertise?

plus I don't like how the word advertising is in capitals. Maybe it's to make it stick out but for some reason it makes me think twice about it *eyes suspiciously*

how much should a website actually cost because it's really not my field of expertise?

Webspace can vary a lot - to use two examples.

http://www.existentia.net/ < Neil' date=' aberdeen-music.com webmaster's hosting. It's expensive, but you're guaranteed a good service without any bullshit. You're also guaranteed support by someone who knows what they're talking about, rather than some average, poorly trained technical support person. It's worth it for complex needs, anyway.

[url']http://www.site5.com < Some random company..it's cheap for what it is, but usually, they make their money elsewhere (no flexibility, etc). I know people with Site5 and they haven't had any major problems, but their technical support and flexibility has been woeful at times. Again, it's worthwhile if you don't have complex needs.

With actual site design, again, you pay for what you get. Aaron's posted an example of a cheap website, which may look functional, but when you look at the source, you can see that he's used flash/shockwave to create the buttons - which to me is a huge no-no. But again, it depends on what you want - £15 for a dirt cheap website is fair enough, really, considering that professionals will charge you a fair whack for a site.

plus I don't like how the word advertising is in capitals. Maybe it's to make it stick out but for some reason it makes me think twice about it *eyes suspiciously*

There should be no need to ever use it - it just provides a sticking point down the line, especially if you can't deliver on it. I wouldn't ever use a reseller that promised unlimited, simply because the chances of them delivering unlimited are very, very unlikely.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest collapse in chaos

well our hosting package is $4.99 a month for 12 months, and comes with an FTP account (so you can design the website yourself and upload it), NetObjects Fusion, PHP, and MS Frontpage extensions. And also a really useful website design tool. The company is:

www.1&1.co.uk

They also offer an online security package for 2.99 a month that protects your website from viruses and such like.

Our website is www.collapseinchaos.com and i designed it using the integrated website designer, which creates a decent enough website until we want to have something actually designed for us by someone who does graphic design.

cheers,

Jamie Chaos

A little tip. Don't say you offer unlimited web space and/or bandwidth as there is no such thing. Period.

If your web hosting company claims they are offering you such things then they are bullshitting you as you'll find out if you use too much of either and they nail you with their "unacceptable use" policy buried deep within their T&C's.

1&1 are alright for small, basic web sites as they can't be beaten for price. The reason they are so cheap though is because they over-sell the capacity of their web servers so you'll find one server hosting 10,000 different sites. Which ain't so great when one web site then brings down the web server and thus brings down all the other 9,999 web sites with it.