aberdeen-music

Urgent help needed regarding bouncing tracks!

HateEvent

Hey!

I'm using a Tascam mfp01 (4 track tape recorder) for recording and have drums and bass recorded on track one, rhythm guitar recorded on track 2 and lead guitar recorded on track 3.

When listening to it through the 4 track everything plays back fine.

If I listen to it through any other tape playback device, the lead part has disappeared! o_O

Now I want to bounce tracks 1,2 and 3 all onto 4. Then from there if they don't playback when on 4, I'll bounce them all from 4 to the now free track 1.

Problem is, I don't know how to do this? :down:

I tried connecting from the line out to the input and recording on track 4 but that just produced a helicopter type noise!

Any ideas?

Guest onlynik

I'm only guessing here so someone might be able to point you in a better direction, but as I understand it, casettes can only handle 4 tracks (2 channels each direction = 4 tracks) tis is why it wont sound right on another cassette nmachine the playback heads are only reading 2 channels instead of 4.

I'd also fathm that you may have to record the tracks onto a spearate machine as the erase and recod heads are before the playback heads ( i think)

Of course this could all be wrong, feel free to berate me in any way.

yeah onlynik is right...the tape will only ever play back 2 channels in a normal tape deck.

in order to bounce on the 4 track...this is how my old one used to work....

record enable channel 4, and pan all the other channels hard right. this should send the signal from these 3 to channel 4. then press record and play the tune all the way through.

however if this is your final bounce and you arent recording anything else then you will be better to just plug the phono outs (if it has them) or whatever other outputs are available into another tape deck/minidisc player/pc and recording to a 2 track master.

If I listen to it through any other tape playback device' date=' the lead part has disappeared! o_O

[/quote']

Turn the tape over and you'll have backwards lead guitar.

Can't help you with the bouncing I've only used a 4 track once in the last 10 years and it took me half an hour of swearing and stabbing at buttons to get it to bounce.

I think it might be too late to make it worth saying this.

Soundian more or less said it. A 4 track tape recorder, uses both sides of the tape at once. You can only play it in other 4 track tape recorders sucessfully. If you want to play it on another device, you will have to hook it up to another device and record it to another tape or computer.

Turn the tape over and you'll have backwards lead guitar.

Can't help you with the bouncing I've only used a 4 track once in the last 10 years and it took me half an hour of swearing and stabbing at buttons to get it to bounce.

Haha sounds like me and jamesy last night....although the bouncing bit didnt happen.