aberdeen-music

"You're gone" 1st Marillion single in over 5 years

jester1470

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the preorder for the Marbles album, which i now wish i'd done cos it sounds brilliant, was priced over the odds and the fans contributed to the marketing campaign by ordering the 2cd set for 30, this came in an amazing package with 128 page booklet, and everyone who preordered is in the thank you list, and they get the album a month before the standard release. The money raised by the band for the marketing of the album came in at just under half a million. This has allowed the band to have a distribution deal with Intact and retain complete control over the music, this was similar to the campaign they utilsed in 2001 for the Anoraknophobia campaign. Since employing Lucy Jordache (ex-EMI) as their marketing and communications manager Marillion's marketing has become probably the most slick and most innovative marketed bands out there. The www.musicalmystery.com website has helped people to hear their music without the preconceptions attached to the name. They have already sold out the first of 2 dates at the London Astoria and it looks like the second night will be sold out too, the Barrowlands gig is selling well, and is a far cry from the gig they played last in Scotland, which was a superb gig but to a half full Glasgow Garage.

It may interest some people to know that Steve Wilson, the producer who has pretty much shaped Opeth in the last few years is one of the producers on Marbles. Steve is an old friend of the band, having produced albums for both marillion and Fish and got his first big UK dates as support to Marillion.

The new single is superb and a real change to what most people think of as Marillion,m its an interesting mix of prog and commercial U2 type stylings.

Steve Hogarth did make an appeal to the fanbase, he said the following:

"By our calculations, in the current UK single market, if everyone that's a fan buys our new single, we'd almost certainly go Top 10 and I'd have my first ever Top 10 single just before my 45th birthday!! (bizarre, or what?!) Marillion would become a household name and not simply remembered by Mr and Mrs Joe Bloggs for "Kayleigh". There is no better time for this to happen, as it would set up perfectly this PEACH of an album that we've just finished, and this PEACH of a tour that we're about to embark upon.

Steve Hogarth, 4 March 2004"

It'd be great to see an interesting and innovative single making the top 10 instead of the usual crap.

Possibly an interesting thing that shows how effective this marketing has been, Marillion have in the last week been featured on Sky News, Teletext, CD:Uk (never thought I'd see the day) and are on Newsround (talk about reaching a new audience). I know Marillion's manager and marketing person Lucy very well, and I have to admit she's surpassed herself with this campaign, a lot of up and coming bands could learn a lot about creating a vibe from some of Marillions more interesting campaigns. So good luck to them, maybe buy a single, take a chance, its only 1.99 to get a few tracks, you may even quite like it, if not at least you know you're shoving 2 fingers up against the pop idol crap !!

Cheers

Stuart

if i see it in one up tomorrow i may take a chance and purchase, you've sold it to me stuart!

i like it when unfashionable acts terrorize the charts, remember when john otway got a top ten hit a couple of years ago with his version of disco inferno, was that not mainly conducted over the net?

it would seem were a generation of PC freaks!

Originally posted by jester1470:

Possibly an interesting thing that shows how effective this marketing has been, Marillion have in the last week been featured on Sky News, Teletext, CD:Uk (never thought I'd see the day) and are on Newsround (talk about reaching a new audience).

I have footage of Steve Hogarth and Mark Kelly on childrens Tv from around the time of the Easter single showing off the Keyboard Gloves.

That i find sureal ?( but pretty cool. :up:

For those who dont know The Keyboard gloves were designed so the Singer could play keyboards while running around the stage.

The gloves had triggers on the fingers so he played the second keyboard parts on his arms - pretty clever.

Originally posted by delboy:

if i see it in one up tomorrow i may take a chance and purchase, you've sold it to me stuart!

i like it when unfashionable acts terrorize the charts, remember when john otway got a top ten hit a couple of years ago with his version of disco inferno, was that not mainly conducted over the net?

it would seem were a generation of PC freaks!

The John Otway thing was superb, got a lot of time for him, he's an old friend of Marillion, they supported him a lot in the early days and they may have nicked the idea from him, the fans got the hit for him as his 50th birthday present. I saw him supporting Marillion last year and I didn't rate him, but you have to admire the tenacity.

Cheers

Stuart

Originally posted by Mordred:

I have footage of Steve Hogarth and Mark Kelly on childrens Tv from around the time of the Easter single showing off the Keyboard Gloves.

That i find sureal ?( but pretty cool. :up:

For those who dont know The Keyboard gloves were designed so the Singer could play keyboards while running around the stage.

The gloves had triggers on the fingers so he played the second keyboard parts on his arms - pretty clever.

Yeah the gloves are cool, the technology is still there in the cricket bat he plays on stage, its meant to be like the kid playing the whole wooden cricket bat in their bedroom, but his is all filled with some very nice midi technology. I have played with the cricket bat, and it is kinda cool, but still not as nice as the gloves which were cutting edge and very visually stunning at the time, as is on the Stoke Row to ipanema DVD,

Cheers

Stuart