aberdeen-music

"You're gone" 1st Marillion single in over 5 years

jester1470

Originally posted by jester1470:

I love Misplaced but its got a bit to go to beat Clutching for me. Torch Song, Sugar Mice and Slainte Mhath are brilliant. Sometimes I can enjoy Fugazi but only if I'm in the right mood, and I prefer the rerecorded version Fish did of Incubus. Script has some magical moments like The Web and Chelsea Monday, but again, my favourite version of Chelsea Monday is an acoustic version Fish did a few years ago.

Hope to see you guys at the FoC gig :)

Cheers

Stuart

My favourite band of all time is Fish era Marillion and i would rate the albums in the following order:-

1. Misplaced Childhood

2. Script for a Jesters Tear

3. Fugazi

4. Clutching at Straws

I dont think Fish has come close to surpassing any of these albums after he left Marillion.

Of the two camps its the current Marillion line up that continues to put out consistently high quality albums, Fish's albums for me are far too patchy - when there good there very good but when there bad ......

Strange he would want to do a Misplaced Childhood tour when he so openly complained about people asking for the old songs to be played in that interview.

I do understand his resentment of the Music industry however and why he is going for the cash but Mike Peters(The Alarm) & The current Marillion line up seem to be happy enough living off there sales via Internet/Fan power and building on it to reach the wider market.

I really cant see him giving up as its his bread and butter but the break might do him good, he might also find a firm line up with people he can write with this may fix the consistancy.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mordred:

My favourite band of all time is Fish era Marillion and i would rate the albums in the following order:-

1. Misplaced Childhood

2. Script for a Jesters Tear

3. Fugazi

4. Clutching at Straws

I dont think Fish has come close to surpassing any of these albums after he left Marillion.

Of the two camps its the current Marillion line up that continues to put out consistently high quality albums, Fish's albums for me are far too patchy - when there good there very good but when there bad ......

Strange he would want to do a Misplaced Childhood tour when he so openly complained about people asking for the old songs to be played in that interview.

I do understand his resentment of the Music industry however and why he is going for the cash but Mike Peters(The Alarm) & The current Marillion line up seem to be happy enough living off there sales via Internet/Fan power and building on it to reach the wider market.

I really cant see him giving up as its his bread and butter but the break might do him good, he might also find a firm line up with people he can write with this may fix the consistancy.

I prefer a lot of Fish's solo to the new Marillion, but I do love Brave, Season's End and This Strange Engine, not really rated some of the others especially the last 3, whereas I've really enjoyed Vigil, Internal Exile, Raingods with Zippo's and the superb Field of Crows.

Marillion is still my favourite band, and Fish my favourite solo singer. My favourite all time Marillion albums are:

1. Brave

2. Clutching at Straws

3. Misplaced Childhood

4. Script for a Jester's Tear

5. This Strange Engine

6. Fugazi

7. Seasons End

8. Holidays in Eden

9. Anorak in the UK

10.Afraid of Sunlight

And My fave Fish albums are:

1. Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors

2. Field of Crows

3. Internal Exile

4. Raingods with Zippo's

5. Suits

6. Fellini Days

7. Songs from the Mirrors

8. Kettle of Fish

9. Yin and Yang

10. Sunsets on Empire

I think both artists have been superb, but prefer Fish era marillion, and Fish solo, that being said one of my all time favourite albums is Steve Hogarths solo live album, Body and Spirit it's a superb album and has some amazing musicians. well worth checking out if just for the live cover of 'Life on mars'

I can't wait for the marillion at the Barra's gig and the Fish ones next month, should be a good year for music. Although can't wait for the DVD version of the Lorely gig to be released this summer, can't wait to see what the special features are and the rerelease of the Brave Movie should be superb as well :) Also its going to be expensive with the Curtain Call live boxset being released soon... Great to see some new Mark Wilkinson artwork for Marillion, and the best he's done in years.

Cheers

Stuart

1. Misplaced Childhood

2. Script for a Jester's Tear

3. Fugazi

4. Reel to Real/Brief Encounter

5. Clutching at Straws

6. Brave

7. Holidays in Eden

8. Seasons End

9. Marillion.com

10. Made Again

Told you i like Fish era Marillion :)

2. Internal Exile

3. Songs from the Mirror

4. Suits

5. Sunsets on Empire

6. Field of Crows

Fellini Days and Raingods did nothing for me X-(

Originally posted by Mordred:

10. Made Again

Told you i like Fish era Marillion :)

2. Internal Exile

3. Songs from the Mirror

4. Suits

5. Sunsets on Empire

6. Field of Crows

Fellini Days and Raingods did nothing for me X-(

Damn i forgot Made Again, its a great live album!! I can't believe anyone would rate the terrible Sunsets on Empire over Field of Crows or Raingods. I think Field of Crows is almost a great retrospective of his whole career encompassing all the styles. And Raingods has the amazing Tilted Cross and Plague of Ghosts, not to mention a rocky cover of SAHBs Faith Healer.

A few years ago at the Haddington convention Fish did an acoustic set, it had the version of chelsea monday, and also a completely acappella version of Tilted Cross. When we meet up at the Marillion gig, maybe I'll give you a copy, i have a bootleg of this show, stunning.

And I can't fault any album with a 20 minute epic like Plague of Ghosts.

I don't rate Fellini too high but theres some good songs like our Smile and So Fellini, and some stunning guitar work from the mighty John Wesley, whereas Sunsets has no redeeming feature at all, although if I'm in the right mood I quite like the titl;e track and Briother 52. But any album in which Fish raps is never going to be good ;)

Cheers

Stuart

The only thing that really struck me about Raingods was 'Faith Healer' mainly cos it was the first song Fish played at the Elgin Town Hall in '89. The album version isn't as good as the Elgin version (for obvious reasons) and not as good as the live one on the B'side of The Big Wedge 12'' single either.

Sunsets was the last Fish album i payed any heed to until Field of Crows got me excited about him all again.

Thats probably why my favourites seem to run in order of release :)

The rap thing didn't bother me on the album, i quite liked the song WHAT COLOUR IS GOD?, at least i think i did, i just listened to it again briefly and now im not quite so sure.

Maybe Fish fans are becoming as bitter as him in their old age :)

What double CD Remasters are worth it? The only one I have is Fugazi. I never got Script For A Jesters Tear, Misplaced Childhood or Clutching At Straws on 2 CD becuase I got the single CD's cheap new and never had the cash for the double. Are they all 24 bit digitally remastered?

I wanna pick up Seasons End & Fish's Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors next.

All the double CD Remasters are worth it, Clutching is worth it cos it shows what Marillion were doing just before the split whereas Misplaced has the entire album in Demo form on its extra disc :up:

Seasons End is a good remaster too if i remember rightly as it has if i recall The Release and Bell in the Sea non album tracks but deserve to be there along with The Mushroom Demos.

Vigil should be an intresting album for you Mouse as it has a guest appearance by Janick Gers on View from the Hill not suprisingly the heaviest song on the album :rockon:

This was just before he became Iron Maidens new guitarist although he had appeared on Bruce Dickinsons first solo album Tattooed Millionaire by this time - FACT FANS. :)

I knew the thing about Janick because it was in the Maiden Biography! :p Janick, Bruce & Fish are apprently good friends & all like Thin Lizzy :)

When I get spare cash I'll but the double CD remasters and sell my singles.

You downloaded any Marillion bootlegs? I got an '82 concert recorded for the radio I think, got some great early versions of songs mainly off Script. The "Last Fish" gig in '87 is worth downloading too if you don't have it. :up:

It was Fish who suggested to Bruce that he should look at using Janick in Maiden and on his solo release, Janick had been about to give up playing guitar and then Fish offered him the job playing on Vigil, and then recommended him to Bruce, where Fish eventually lost him. Fish then used Frank Usher who was in the first serious band Fish was ever in and the great Robin Boult, who our very own Jo McCafferty is currently demoing with.

Vigil is an amazing album and thre fact that Fish is playing both Cliche and Vigil on the new tour has really encouraged me to catch 2 shows, as well as the fact that he's playing Market Square Heroes, Plague of Ghosts, and Internal Exile.

I also love Internal Exile primarily for the immensely atmospheric Shadowplay, which is still my favourite ever solo song of Fish;s and one he sadly says he won't play again live (too many words ;) ).

If you're going to get the Fish albums look at orderingt he remastered versions via The Company website where you'll get some great B-sides like Jack and Jill and the brilliant Poets Moon.

As for the marillion remasters all of them are good, Fugazi because its a much clearer mix and you get great tracks like Cinderella Search (the only Fugazi era track H-era Marillion has ever played live), Misplaced you get one of my fave tracks Freaks, and with Clutching as well as some brilliant ideas of what might have been had they continued, great demoes like Shadows on the Barley, and through a thin wall, some of which are easily identifiable in both Seasons End and Vigil. And of course Script os worth it for the legeandary GRENDEL !! ;)

Vigil also has undoubtedly the best artwork of any Fish/Marillion album with a stunning piece of Mark Wilkinson artwork.

I don't know if anyones read it but you might find the book "Seperated Out" By Jon Collins interesting , it's slightly anti Fish biased as it was authorised by the modern day Marillion, but at least it is an interesting readm and I'm in the front thank you's :p seriously its a good read and worth getting, you learn a lot about how difficult it has been for Fish and Marillion,

Cheers

Stuart

It is a great album, the bonus has some interesting stuff, interesting to hear songs like tic-tac-toe where the lyrics later came off in Fish's State of Mind.

There were tracks like "Beaujolais Day" (later renamed "Seasons End") and "Story From a Thin Wall" (the lyrics would become Fish's "Family Business." The music from that same song would later be revisited and used as the bed for "Berlin"), which would show up on Season's End. Other interesting anomalies include "Sunset Hill," as well as demo versions of "White Russians" and the original two-track demo for "Sugar Mice."

All good stuff and well worth investing in,

Cheers

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Well Bloody Hell, who'd have thought it, as well as doing the best album in years, having just got back from seeing Fish at the Glasgow Carling Academy, it was probably the best I've seen him in years. Fish has recurring problems with his voice due to excess smoking andpartying but for once had been keeping himself in great voice. Even those of us who are huge fans had doubts he would last, but not only did he last he was superb. For the first time in years he was back using props, he came onstage in a hat, scarf and cane, which he turned into a sword, headress and various other props. With a set that included songs like Jungle Ride, Perception of Johnny Punter, Cliche (superb to hear Frank Usher play that solo), Internal Exile, The Company, Vigil, Lucky, the end section of Plague of Ghosts, and most of the new album, it was superb to hear it all come together. The evening also included a rocking version of Market Square Heroes. The Band ws easily the tightest I've evr seen Fish have and interesting to see Bruce Watson (ex-Big Country) going through the rockstar poses, and the welcome of Tony Turrell back into the fold made for a superb evening.

I think the other thing that surprised me was the fact that there were so many people there, probably the best attended Fish gig I've been to in Scotland for about 10 years. If this is anything to go by, i mayneed to get my tickets for the Barrowlands soon as they could sell out !!

It's great to see a resurgence, i went with a friend of mine who is 18 and she was blown away, she said she'd never seen such great showmanship, such mental fans and such an amazing atmosphere, althpough her getting to meet Fish in the Pub before the gig probably helped.

High points of the gig, the superb medley of So Fellini/Lucky/Internal Exile and Market Square Heroes, The crowd surfing Penguin, Fish's comments about the Huns ;), Bruce Watson wishing he was still in a big band, an almost full venue, the interesting saga of Westy's little car (you had to be there ;) ) and the chance to meet with some old friends.

I'd advise anyone who enjoys a good show catch Fish if he plays these shores again, he was talking about a final fling of a full production of Misplaced Childhood next year to mark its 20th anniversary, this will be a must see show. If you can't wait, the Marillion Marbles Tour at Barrowlands on the 6th July should be a phenomenal show too !!

Cheers

Stuart

Originally posted by Mouse:

The Misplaced Childhood anniversary then I'd definately attend!

If its anything like the version Fish performed on the Mixed Company CD and DVD then i'd demand my money back for that show.

Im suprised he'd release something of such a substandard quality, from what he says himself its a good job incommunicano isn't on it :(

And the least said about Garden Party the better....:swearing:

You see I don't think it's too bad, but then again, i think my outlook is coloured by the fact that I was there, I also really feel they didn't capture close to the sound quality that was there those nights. I have to say I truly felt that tha vocals on Thursday were superb and would certainly pay big money to see him every time if I knew he was going to be like that.

See I kinda liked the Garden party fuckup but again because I was there, where i think these releases fuck up is not including the between show banter which is the best thing about a live Fish gig.

Sorry u were so disappointed, I kinda liked the Fools Company, but I have to admit I was playing it to my new bird and did notice way more mistakes iun it than I had done last time.

On the plus side, I did hear Curtain Call last week, that is really worth getting, if a bit expensive at 45, when i have the fre cash I will be buying it, and the artwork is superb.

Cheers

Stuart

On the plus side, I did hear Curtain Call last week, that is really worth getting, if a bit expensive at 45, when i have the fre cash I will be buying it, and the artwork is superb.

Cheers

Stuart

Two guesses what im holding in my hand right NOW:jester::woohoo::rockon::music::laughing::king::D

Curtain Call is phenomenal, I was lucky to hear some of it before it was mixed at Fish's when he was searching through his bootlegs... I haven't actually got a copy yet, neither have I got Marbles, although i hope to get a copy this week, i've heard good things about it.

Also insider news there has been a video taken for the Field of Crows Tour in Bradford, no idea if it's going to be released but I believe itwas a good show, although a small crowd, if he's anything like as good as he was on Thursday it'll be phenomenal.

Tell me what u think of Curtain Call, weird to think its the first Fish era marillion new release in 15 years !!

Cheers

Stuart

Bloody Hell, they're everywhere, it's beemn over 10 years since I've seen such a strong Marillion prescence in the shops, anyone who's into good music should certainly look at buying these singles, for 8.00 you get 7 different tracks, 2 remixes, the DVD video and interviews !!

And the songs not bad either !!

Cheers

Stuart

Bloody Hell, they're everywhere, it's beemn over 10 years since I've seen such a strong Marillion prescence in the shops, anyone who's into good music should certainly look at buying these singles, for 8.00 you get 7 different tracks, 2 remixes, the DVD video and interviews !!

And the songs not bad either !!

Cheers

Stuart

That'll be why HMV.COM are out of stock on two formats then :up:

Originally posted by delboy:

is it true that marillion are so desperate for a hit that the singer has been pleading with fans to purchase three copies of the single so it gets in the charts?

Sort of, what was said was if everyone on the mailing list was to buy each format ( 3 formats ), the song would be in with a shout to go top 20.

Mike Peters did much the same with The Alarm single 45rpm which was the first release by the band to go Top 40 in something like 12 years.

Both Marillion and The Alarm have healthy fanbases that alot of bands would kill for and what they are doing is trying to show they are still here and very much alive.

Hopefully by getting into the charts they'll get the exposure they deserve as both bands output are of the highest order.