aberdeen-music

is this a firewire port?

Hog

No there not. USB2 is becoming the new standard with even Apple now slowly dropping Firewire support from their hardware. Despite the fact' date=' as others have already pointed out, that Firewire still has advantages even over USB2.

[/quote']

Hmmm. They're certainly not just confined to macs though, which was the implication. I remember seeing firewire ports on computer specs quite often when I was looking on behalf of someone recently.

No there not. USB2 is becoming the new standard with even Apple now slowly dropping Firewire support from their hardware. Despite the fact' date=' as others have already pointed out, that Firewire still has advantages even over USB2.

What Hog took a photo of is an IEEE 1394 port. This is the [b']same thing as Firewire. Why the different name? Because the name Firewire is trademarked by Apple. To confuse matters even further other manufactures use other names for IEEE 1394 such as i.link and Lynx. All you need to know is that they are all IEEE 1394 and not USB (1 or 2) and certainly not an Ethernet port.

1 of my lecturers said they were deveping an updated version of firewire, that can cope with a shitload more stuff. dont that mean that it wont be dropped yet?

1 of my lecturers said they were deveping an updated version of firewire' date=' that can cope with a shitload more stuff. dont that mean that it wont be dropped yet?[/quote']

Admittedly this is still speculation at the moment but you have to wonder why Apple is using USB2 on the newer iPods and not Firewire. There is plenty of discussion on this topic out there:

http://news.com.com/Apple+takes+a+step+away+from+FireWire/2100-1041_3-5587951.html?tag=nefd.lede

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/09/apple_firewire_plan/

Time will tell I guess.

1 of my lecturers said they were deveping an updated version of firewire' date=' that can cope with a shitload more stuff. dont that mean that it wont be dropped yet?[/quote']

It's called Firewire 800. No one is developing for it (on topic, I can think of only one device off hand that has been developed for it (by RME, unsure of model) Apple have even decided against sticking it on their new intel range as standard. USB2 should never become the standard, especially where pro audio is concerned. USB2 audio devices haven't caught on at all because it's still flakey, firewire is pretty solid. Theres a good site somewhere that explains why all this is for all you googlers.

Apple dropping firewire in favour of USB, implementing Intel chips...whats next, Microtosh VistaX? :D Sad day indeed....