aberdeen-music

underragers at the tunnels

ilobemusic

But Flash, where would this have left Radars creche in the 80s, I might have had to hang around with those of my peers who couldn't get served, fuck that. Not to mention your beloved Maorings (under previous management), if in doubt, grow yer hair, I was 19 the only time I ever got ID'd (upstairs at Radars).

Ah I remember the old Saturday routine

1-Meet at 1UP 1PM-ish, look at records, Maybe head into R&B music when it was on Belmont St.

2-Go to "Radars Sattelite Bar" as no-one called it, around 2PM-ish. Have some Drinks, retire to creche zone downstairs to make unholy racket, be gently chided by the legendary Rosie for doing so

3-Perhaps some more drinks? Ooh isn't the US top 20 on MTV soon, also Yo!MTV Raps-1st introduction to 'Straight Outta Compton, heavily bleeped, hey guys GnR video is on, Throw light items at screen if Bon Jovi appear

variation No1- might habe gone to Ma's for a while

4-Must remember to eat, if rich, order food up from downstairs restaurant, if not- La Lombardas chipper excursion.

5-Move on to early evening drinking

6-Now some later evening drinking, try not to get arrested for calling a copper a "banana" (this happened to a mate of mine)

variation No 2 Get back to Mastrick before last bus, not a popular option this, didn't happen much

7-Retire for the last bit of the Evening to a top venue, er The Venue, I shit you not when I say this was the best funspace Aberdeen has ever had, or is likely to, Its not just nostalgia, I know that the place would have thrived in any musical era, If it was open now you would all LOVE it, in a way that even the Palace/Ritzys/Bonkers could not compete with, Its not just my loss, its everyones.

8-Find a party and hope that some fucker does not have Pink Floyd on in perpituity.

What I'm saying is if your not able to sustain 12 hour drinking binges at the age of 16/17 then what sort of world is it. What if there is a war, I mean close to hand.

PS. all that drinking WILL swiftly make you appear old enough to drink, solving your problem, although it may not seem worth it when you hit 20 looking haggard and overweight. Thats why I switched to.....something I better not say.

8-Find a party and hope that some fucker does not have Pink Floyd on in perpituity.

It was in Afleck Street, and it was every Blue Oyster Cult album followed by American Pie.

Thats why I switched to.....something I better not say.

Well yes that did play a big part in it. But they make it way too strong in the 21st Century. It's effects used to be much more rounded and fun.

o_O

Ah I remember the old Saturday routine

5-Move on to early evening drinking

6-Now some later evening drinking, try not to get arrested for calling a copper a "banana" (this happened to a mate of mine)

variation No 2 Get back to Mastrick before last bus, not a popular option this, didn't happen much

7-Retire for the last bit of the Evening to a top venue, er The Venue, I shit you not when I say this was the best funspace Aberdeen has ever had, or is likely to, Its not just nostalgia, I know that the place would have thrived in any musical era, If it was open now you would all LOVE it, in a way that even the Palace/Ritzys/Bonkers could not compete with, Its not just my loss, its everyones.

What I'm saying is if your not able to sustain 12 hour drinking binges at the age of 16/17 then what sort of world is it. What if there is a war, I mean close to hand.

Shit! My teenage years. Flashbacks!

You forgot this bit - stagger out of the Venue past fighting/fight-picking bouncers, up the road & into the Cobweb for munchies & where your sensibly pre-arranged carry-out & large quantity of drugs were waiting. If they were not, your/your mate's little brother was gonna get a hiding.

Then party! :D

12hr binges - lightweight. We could go-on for days at a time. After a few years, my pancreas did eventually join those of Jerry Lee Lewis & the guy from GNR in nearly killing me in the most unpleasant manner possible. Which probably saved my liver in the long run.

First time I got served in an Aberdeen pub was a week before my 14th birthday. By the time I was legal, I was usually assumed to be in my 20s or 30s. You can probably count on one hand the times I was questioned/refused service (rarely ID'd in those days, bar staff word was final) in between - usually only with company who looked younger but who were usually old enough.

Great days! o_O