aberdeen-music

Management/Managers

Tronaliser

If you have someone in the band who is good at making contacts, personable and organised the chances are you dont need a manager at this stage, some bands like to have managers to make their life easier, some do well without them. It's a personal chpoice thing, but dont let the desire to have a manager slow you down.

Cheers

Stuart

If you have someone in the band who is good at making contacts' date=' personable and organised the chances are you dont need a manager at this stage, some bands like to have managers to make their life easier, some do well without them. It's a personal chpoice thing, but dont let the desire to have a manager slow you down.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Agreed...

I also think the word manager can be a little over stated at times...

Many bands want a manager then don't listen to a word they say. Maybe because the 'manager has no experiance, doesn't understand the band or the music industry. Simply put, they don't know what they are talking about and therefore why are they the manager...

Get a good phone technique, diplomatic interband persona, personal organiser then dedicate a set amount of hours each day/week to the band tasks and get things done... managing!

I will add that I am not referring to anyone at all here, its just a knowing generalisation. :up:

A lot will depends on how big the band is and how often they are gigging and recording and so on.

For a lot of local bands they aren't doing too much, so can easily enough work it out themselves, whether one member does most of the booking or whatever.

A friend of mine plays in a wedding/function type band, and they have an agent who books gigs and so on for them, which takes a lot of work off them, when they will be gigging virtually every week, often a few times in a week. So that takes a lot of work off their shoulders

It also depends on how serious you are, it kinda echos what i said above, but if you are just having fun playing in a band with a few mates, and gigging purely for enjoyment every so often, then a manager is overkill, if on the other hand you are taking it seriously and fully intend putting a lot fo time, effot and money into it, then someone who knows what they are doing can be a great help - look at someone like starfall, working hard to get themselves playing out and not just sticking to playing Aberdeen every second week, Dave has done a lot of work organising tours and so on, I guess that could be done by a band member, but having someone else do it lets the band concentrate on everything esle that needs done and spreads the load about.

If you want a manager though, definately go for someone who actually knows what they are doing and will put the time in, whether that is an external agency (for a percentage of your earnings or so on) or a friend who knows what they are doing, giving the job to a mate who wants to help but cant play an instrument is a bit pointless

David