aberdeen-music

Reading Festival 2006

Rob

I'm quite disapointed by that' date=' I remember when Reading was a classy Rock festival with some decent metal bands. That kind of watery pissy music is meant for more watery pissy festivals like V and Glastonbury and the like. I'm going abroad for my festivals this year which I feel quite sad about ;([/quote']

Go to Download or Bloodstock (or both)

I'm quite disapointed by that' date=' I remember when Reading was a classy Rock festival with some decent metal bands. That kind of watery pissy music is meant for more watery pissy festivals like V and Glastonbury and the like. I'm going abroad for my festivals this year which I feel quite sad about ;([/quote']

and some people will remember when it was a jazz festival, things changes. Anyway I remember a while ago someone posted a link to a site with old line ups, it certainly hasn't been a purely heavy rock / metal festival for the last 15 years, so there's not much point complaining now.

and some people will remember when it was a jazz festival' date=' things changes. Anyway I remember a while ago someone posted a link to a site with old line ups, it certainly hasn't been a purely heavy rock / metal festival for the last 15 years, so there's not much point complaining now.[/quote']

Metal fans ain't the cleverest - it's maybe taken 15 years to set in that Deep Purple, Saxon, Bonnie Tyler and Meatloaf are no longer on the bill every year.

Metal fans ain't the cleverest - it's maybe taken 15 years to set in that Deep Purple' date=' Saxon, Bonnie Tyler and Meatloaf are no longer on the bill every year.[/quote']

No but they used to be - there ain't no shortage of good metal bands about. I wouldn't want to see bands that are past their best anyway. Just cos a band aint on TOTP's doesn't mean they don't exsist, silly! In fact the fact that there is so much metal about is why I'm slightly hacked off. I've seen Muse at Reading before, they were nae bad but I'll reiterate my point (which seems to of been totally missed) Why can't they keep Reading as a rock festival and have another festival for Indie bands? There are surely enough fields in England?

No but they used to be - there ain't no shortage of good metal bands about. I wouldn't want to see bands that are past their best anyway. Just cos a band aint on TOTP's doesn't mean they don't exsist' date=' silly! In fact the fact that there is so much metal about is why I'm slightly hacked off. I've seen Muse at Reading before, they were nae bad but I'll reiterate my point (which seems to of been totally missed) Why can't they keep Reading as a rock festival and have another festival for Indie bands? There are surely enough fields in England?[/quote']

Is Download, Bloodstock Open Air, Bloodstock and the rumoured Monsters of Rock Festival (at Milton Keynes Bowl o_O ) not enough for you like :up:

Reading/Leeds have a rock day also Iron Maiden last year is that not Metal enough for you.

My take on festivals anyway is to experience new bands and types of Music the Metal festivals above are great if you want to play safe but by having a festival with a bill like Reading you get abit of everything.

That and the fact with the Metal festivals you have no time to look round the site cos theres always a good band on and your scared you'll miss something :up:

No but they used to be - there ain't no shortage of good metal bands about. I wouldn't want to see bands that are past their best anyway. Just cos a band aint on TOTP's doesn't mean they don't exsist' date=' silly! In fact the fact that there is so much metal about is why I'm slightly hacked off. I've seen Muse at Reading before, they were nae bad but I'll reiterate my point (which seems to of been totally missed) Why can't they keep Reading as a rock festival and have another festival for Indie bands? There are surely enough fields in England?[/quote']

I've seen dance & hip hop bands as well so it's not an exclusivly Indie bill - in fact, I've seen dance & hip hop bands on the same day as Slipknot played!

Maybe you should try to listen to more diverse music? Do you only listen to Metal?

It would be a pretty boring weekend for most people if you had three days of nothing but Metal or dance or Hip Hip or indie or whatever - surely the point of going to a festival is to experience all types of music?

Anyway to address your point - they probably can't keep Reading as a Rock Festival for a few reasons -

1. It's been the best part of 20 years since it was exclusivly a rock festival. In fact, it was going down the pans till they overhauled the bill in the late 80s.

2. There are about 5 stages or so at Reading - that means you would need, say, 75 bands a day to fill those stages? That's about 225 bands at a rough guess. I'd think quality would drop considerably if you had to fill all those slots with the same genre of music.

3. Music isn't so polarised nowadays - people seem to be more able to listen to music of more than one genres. Try it - it's the aural equivilant ofhaving a curry one day and a pizza the next.

4. There are loads of festivals in the UK each summer - if Reading / Leeds were to reinvent themselves as a Metal / Rock festival then they would invaribly lose portions of their audience to these other festivals and would also bring them into direct competion with Download which would (a) cause people to choose between one or the other and (b) dilute the bill as there would no doubt be cotract clauses that would prevent bands from playing both.

Just cos a band aint on TOTP's doesn't mean they don't exsist' date=' silly! [/quote']

I love you said that to me, I really do! That's going to make me smile all day!