aberdeen-music

Yo La Tengo

nullmouse

Originally posted by nullmouse:

Anyone off to see them tomorrow night in Glasgow?

Double A side of a gig with Gorky's Zygotic Minci so should be pretty good, although I must admit I'm only going for YLT.

We are shooting down to Edinburgh to see them on Wednesday night @ The Usher Hall. Missed them last July, but with the wonderful Gorky's will make up for it.

YLT are on the UP hitlist, but we missed out this time?

Well, Gorky's were okay, but nothing special. The last twenty minutes of their set was fantastic, but felt like a let down after a meandering first half an hour. Average.

Yo La Tengo. My god. Those going to Edinburgh tonight shall be justly rewarded - Fantastic and engaging, brilliant. I'm still glowing.

Originally posted by nullmouse:

Well, Gorky's were okay, but nothing special. The last twenty minutes of their set was fantastic, but felt like a let down after a meandering first half an hour. Average.

Yo La Tengo. My god. Those going to Edinburgh tonight shall be justly rewarded - Fantastic and engaging, brilliant. I'm still glowing.

Was it a long YLT set ? Someone told me their set in Edinburgh last year was great as well - long as well

Originally posted by ragudave:

Was it a long YLT set ? Someone told me their set in Edinburgh last year was great as well - long as well

Yeah, it must have been close to an hour and three quarters. To be honest I wasn't clock watching, but I was surprised by the length given Gorkys played for between 50 and 60 minutes.

Lots of extended instrumentals, feedback and mutilated guitar sounds too - Then suddenly they're floating through another song. Perfectly paced and pitched set.

Cheers! I'll have to convince the rest of my entourage that they want to go to a gig an hour after getting off the train, now!

I'd seen the gig on the Track and Field Organisation website, but hadn't explored it further. The Low thing reminded me. Annoyed I missed Low when they played Aberdeen through my own slackness more than anything else.

YLT/ Black Eyed Snakes

just away to see YLT/Gorkys @ the marvellous Usher Hall & we are all very excited.

Interesting Music tried to get Alan Sparhawk's other band to Drakes Aberdeen on this their 1st european tour but the furthest north they are coming is Glasgow (sleazies i think, then over to Eire). A band not for the faint hearted or squeamish

my new house

Away

ps Alun Low are god's band on this planet

Re: YLT/ Black Eyed Snakes

Originally posted by chilli:

ps Alun Low are god's band on this planet

I have some Low, but seriously need to invest in more. I have the latest album and the one with the cover of 'You Are My Sunshine' on, which I play whenever possible in the Bond*age Chill Out Room.

What I really want to hear is the stuff they did with The Dirty Three, one my all time favourite bands ever.

Enjoy YLT! Get to the front and look sweet and you may get asked to choose their final song - Like the gobsmacked woman in Glasgow last night.