aberdeen-music

Darts

lollerskates

So, the Granite City Open then:

Got in just after 11am, found myself on board 13 (as omens go, nae brilliant) and went with lager/shandy in hand (unlike some I was actually trying to pace myself!) straight into practise routines for around 45 mins. Was drawn to play third against a guy I didn't recognise (later said he played Ellon league) who turned out to be a pretty even match, not stunning but not a total muppet either!

Couldn't get scoring first game at all and went 1 down within sight of a double, but then I smacked a 24 darter in the next leg for 1-1. Third leg saw me outscore him but I made a pigs ear of things with 54 left, the first attempt saw my dart slip into the treble, the second saw me miss the D18 by a skerrick. 1-2.

The next two legs both saw me getting outscored, far too many nervy darts clipping the T1 or flying off into the 12/18. Even so, I got two darts at D17 to level the game but I put them just under. 1-3 down, and I never recovered after that: too many stray shots in the 5th and he took it out with me waiting on 60. 1-4.

Good day out though, and there were some good showings from the LDDL'ers, one of whom got to his board final against Mark Barilli: he lost 4-1, but gave him a heck of a game (Barilli was having to smack in 12/14 darters to win.)

Sounds good! Matty was telling me about that last game, that's his practice partner. I've been on holiday in Munich all week so a bit rusty tonight (and tired) but darts tomorrow night so I'll see how I get on then and if I get a throw!)

You get a chuck?

Aye, it was a cracking day, and the spears continued in the Royal late into the evening as you'd expect. Really hyped up to practise all that bit more after getting a bit lousy over the last month...

Nah, no throw again. we drew 6-6 in a game we really should have won. Am frustrated as I'm currently in a bit of a no-man's land with the team. If we're way ahead, the captain gets pressured to keep the best guys in and go for a 12-0/11-1/10-2 scoreline to push the legs difference forward in case it counts at the end of the season. If its close, he gets pressured to keep the best guys in to guarantee/fight for the win. So there's almost no chance for me to play. I've thrown 39 competitive darts in 9 week of the league! Before the match I played a local super league player and a couple of the guys on our team. I won both against the super league player and beat one of our best players, losing twice. It's hard to know what else I can do!

At the end of the season (9 weeks from now) there are 4/5 weeks of tournaments where everyone in the league can enter - singles, doubles, trebles, etc - so I'm basically now gearing up for those, trying to get some opens in before then and hoping that a decent performance in those can break me into the team for the winter league which will start straight after it, otherwise I'll be finding myself a new team with less players!

Week ten last night and I got to play in the four man team, once the tie was secured. Not exactly a glamour spot and I was up last, but all three of my teammates missed the double to start, and I floated my first dart outside the wire and hit D16 with my second, then 20 to follow up. Next throw I hit a 43, then a crapy 24 and we should have tied it up after that, so I put my darts in my top pocket, but the guys were slack and I was left with tops to take the leg. Darts out, stepped to the oche, first dart in D20, there's yer dinner!

Delighted to get my first finishing double in, as well as hitting the opening double too, and we got the win on the night to stay top of the table. The guys were very complementary too. Nice to make an impact when the chance comes. Hit my 9th 180 too, in warmups. One more and I've hit the target for the year.

• 2 weeks later...

World Matchplay on this week - the second mopst prestigious of the PDC majors after the WC. Live from Blackpool Winter Gardens. Terry Jenkins comeback against vun Huybrechts on Saturday was superb - 9-5 down in a first to ten (winner must be 2 legs clear) and he won 6 straight to take it 11-9!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last night was the opening night of the winter league. 8 singles and 4 pairs (all 501 DIDO). The new captain had said that if I stuck with the team, I'd get a throw and true to his word (as well as because we had guys missing) I got a throw in the singles and the doubles!

Singles I started terribly, taking 17 darts to get in (eventually hitting d16, 20) but once I was in I was flying, Hit 83, 84, 134 and was on a finish before my opponent finally put the game away on d19. He got in on his first throw and I know that if I'd got in even 6 darts earlier, I could have taken the leg. Despite that, I averaged 39 for 3 darts (incldfing the 16 that didn't score!) so I was pretty happy with that.

Doubles we were last up and the game was already won. I got us in with d8 on my third dart adns cored pretty well, with a ton in there, taking us down to 151. My partner hit 26, leaving 125 and I responded with an awesome 1, 1, 1. Bristow style! Incredibly, with the opponents on d4, my partner then hit 18 (missed the treble by about six feet!), t18 and then paused for ages, considering his next move. He was considering leaving me an easy finish, but he opted to go for it and smashed in Bull to win the leg!

Haven't been practicing much revently with the headaches and stuff, so pleased with how I threw. Didn't feel the perssure at all and I know that if I'd got started quicker on the singles, I'd have been cooking on gas. Won the tie 9-3 and now chasing my first singles win!

Sounds like your not too far off the pace! DIDO is an utter nightmare if yer not totally firing on your doubles. Luckily I'll only suffer it if I draw a woman in one of the cup competitions: one guy last year in the mixed trips was still on 501 when the lassie he was playing got down to 60. He still eventually won because she couldn't hit a double either!

Two straight 7-2 defeats for us against the Sally and Scots Corner, but the former game was a lot closer and saw a few game darts begging (mine included:(). Croon on Thursday is our best hope of a win before the second half of the season comes...

It's brutal and 1 leg is a nightmare. My opponent got in on the second dart of his first visit so he had 15 more scoring darts than I did! Sharpens up the doubles tho, because you really need to work on them. Just a shame I'd been off the boil in terms of practice.

Sounds like your team are throwing alright tho. How does it work with the fixtures - does the home captain write down his teama and then the away captain adds his to make the fixtures?

Sounds like your team are throwing alright tho. How does it work with the fixtures - does the home captain write down his teama and then the away captain adds his to make the fixtures?

Apart from that first game against the Cheebs when nearly half our team was missing offshore/injured/etc, we have been playing better than last year. Scots Corner is usually a slam-dunk 9 nil anyway! (There are quite a few offshore workers that play in the league, the Queens in Bervie have virtually two seperate teams depending who's away or not! We only have two, thankfully.)

LDDL matches are 3 pairs games then 6 singles, best of 3, straight in. Fixtures are done on a random draw by the captains: usually you put your crack players first, but we tend to try and second guess the other captains and mix it up week by week. Sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires horribly!...