aberdeen-music

Darts

lollerskates

Another coupon in the sodding bin!

Barney couldn't finish his fucking dinner on Sunday night' date=' let alone a leg of darts. The guy Klassen is pretty handy, though he's probably the most inconsistent champion I've ever seen. Good final, though.....[/quote']

You should come to my bookies (the Hills down by the Saltoun) we lose regularly - I think we must be the luckiest bookies in aberdeen (for the punters that is). I get paid anyway though Hurrah!!

• 5 years later...

Thought it was about time we had some decent spears chat on the go again.

I'm heading up the road for Christmas tonight after work and that always means plenty of darts playing and chat so last weekend I spent some vouchers I got for my birthday on a set of darts and have been brushing up the technique in the pubs of Leith! Let me tell you, i've met some characters! One was parading up and down the pub, weilding a bar stool like a set of bagpipes.

Who's been watching the World Championships? I think they're looking to create the longest tournament in history with this one. Taylor's first and second round matches are ten days apart!

Thought it was about time we had some decent spears chat on the go again.

I'm heading up the road for Christmas tonight after work and that always means plenty of darts playing and chat so last weekend I spent some vouchers I got for my birthday on a set of darts and have been brushing up the technique in the pubs of Leith! Let me tell you, i've met some characters! One was parading up and down the pub, weilding a bar stool like a set of bagpipes.

Who's been watching the World Championships? I think they're looking to create the longest tournament in history with this one. Taylor's first and second round matches are ten days apart!

Shame there's no characters like that in the Laurencekirk league!

Caught the end of the Newton/Pipe match last night, was a good 'un. I kept saying I wouldn't put my typical £10 on Gary 'Choker' Anderson but the sod nearly won last year! Shat a length when he nearly made a mess of his first game.....

• 3 weeks later...

So after my intensive ten days of getting burst and playing spears, I started to see my game improved and last night I went out to get a bit more practice in and see how I was comparing to my previous efforts. Now bear in mind I've been playing properly for less than a month, I'm slowly starting to improve my scoring (although my finishing is pretty gash still).

Last night I ran through 15 legs, with 67 darts being my worst and 24 being my best, averaging 46 darts per leg. The ambition for this year is to get myself down to an average of 25 darts per leg, which is gonna mean a shedload more practice, better scoring and crucially, much more clinical finishing. My best 3 darts are now 160 (oddly) and I've hada few 121's and 125's so I know that elusive 180 is hiding in there somewhere. My throwing motion is now fairly consistent, I just need to settle myself and get into a good routine.

My progress will be charted here for the world to see and then when I win the World Darts Championship and pick up the big money sponsors, I'll become a paying member of this site and give it £3 a month.

I'm still recovering from the shock of hitting that 180 in the Western! I can fire the maximums in whilst practising fairly regularly, but getting them out on a game 'for real' is far harder (even playing Teuchter league I get a dose of the nerves at my frst visit to the oche, shameful). Sounds like you're close though: keep the faith!

In practise I started by aiming for 30 dart legs against the computer: that means you need to average just over 50 to beat it, hence the computer automatically takes 50 for each opposing visit. When I started winning more games than I lost on that setting, I took it down to 27 (comp deducts 56 per visit), and then again to 24 (deducts 62 per visit), which is where I'm stuck now! For doubles I just do round the clock, starting at a target of 81 darts (around 1 in 4), then taking 9 darts off when you manage it (lowest I've managed is 46).

If you can throw around 25 dart legs then you'd be alright for a half-decent pub team, at least in the LDDL anyway!

PS: Some observations on the Lakeside while we are here...

- Tony O'Shea is still an annoying twunt

- Joey Ten Berge's wife = hello nurse!

- Christian Kist is worth a tenner each way (except he isn't, now that I've tipped him and hence put the curse on him)

- Winstanley to win, then feck off to the PDC....

I'm also planning on entering some tournaments along the way. I fully expect not to make it past the first round but when we were in the Masada Bar over Christmas, playing against these absoute sharks, my game definitely went up a notch so I think that the competition will be good for improvement. Dropping by 21 darts in 12 months is definitely doable and at that point I'll be looking for places to play in a local team or whatever, just for regular decent standard competition. After that, I'll re-evaluate and work out where I need to sharpen up on to take the next steps. The doubles practice is a good one - I'll give that a go tonight.

First tournament is the Edinburgh Winter open next Saturday. Robbs is down for the weekend so we both agreed that it's too much of a coindicence not to enter!

Yeah, as long as Anastasia Dobromyslova doesn't take out an injunction I'll be doing a fair few tourneys! Scottish Open is the end of next month IIRC, and there's the Granite City Open at the start of July, my only previous attempt at it ended with a 3-1 skelping in round two.

There is a strange element to doing the comps, part of you wants an easier draw with a half decent chance of going a few rounds, and another part that wants to draw a big gun like Wolfie or the Count so you have a half decent story to go round the pub with! (The latter option backfired on an ex-teammate of mine a few years ago: he got Gary Anderson pre-PDC in the first round of the GCO, but somehow didn't know who he was! He asked the Skite men if they knew, and one of the cruel buggers replied with an 'oh aye, he's total shite'. Ho ho! As you probably guessed, GA utterly mullered him 3-0 in less than ten minutes......)

Out last night for some more practice. Not a good night!

legs: 17

best: 27 darts

worst: 70 darts

average: 54

best finish: 100

It's unquestionably my finishing letting me down. Sometimes I'm burning 15+ darts on 2 dart finishes, so I decided that's the key area to sharpen up on. Decided to go round the board on doubles - the outcome? A shocking 230 darts! The plan now will be doing 5-10 legs per practice session and then focussing on getting that number down to sharpen up on my doubles.

Looking forward to the tournament, will be an experience if nothing else. I went down to the place it's being held last night (a Rileys called the New Yorker) and it's a good setup, however there was a league playing so all five boards were in use and I had to go elsewhere! I think I'm gonna buy a board for the flat so I don't end up spending every single night in the pubs of Leith. There's nowhere to hang it (a dart board would haul our walls down, I think they're made of Ryvita or something) but I'm thinking of getting a stand, which also then has the additional benefit of taking it elsewhere for on-the-road spears!

Last night was a familiar story in the league: 1-0 up in the singles match, cruising the second leg and wasted a pile of match darts on double 2. Threw another 6 away in the decider to boot. My doubles under pressure have been shite all season, and I've thrown away at least 6/7 matches I should have cakewalked. FML. :mad::(

The Count does love a good rant at everything, bar himself!

Plenty of names on that Q-School list jumping out: Les 'McDanger' Wallace, no less! Horrible nickname, cracking player in his day.

Massive bottom-end of the table 4 pointer for our lot tomorrow night, confidently predicting we will baws it up somehow!