aberdeen-music

recommend me a cymbal....

The Milner

i recently bought a 18' A custom projection crash so now im looking for something to acompany it nicely. im looking for something really dark sounding as the one i have is quite a high pitched cymbol, anyone got any good suggestions bar K customs, ive tried them out but im looking for something thicker as im quite a heavy hitter.

cheers

:)

What about a K series medium-thin dark crash? This would be about the same weight of cymbal as an A-Custom projection....but much darker. K are a bit more expensive than A custom though.

Personally, I dont like the mix of bright and dark cymbals that you appear to be going for. I use A custom crashes, and have a 16" and an 18". The different sizes give totally different tones, but still complement each other. If you go for a very dark cymbal like a K, it might clash with the A Custom. Try before you buy.

The problem here is that in general the thinner a cymbal is the darker it will be. So if you want a thicker crash I.e. a power crash you're going to have a harder time finding the ones with a darker edge, as they will all tend to have a fairly sharp quality.

In terms of dark cymbals the Paiste signature fast crashes are utterly gorgeous, yet pricey. The best cymbals I've ever heard. Sabian's HHX Evolution crashes are quite nice too. The only problem being that they are both quite thin. Bruce Millers seems to have both in most of the time so check them out. They also had a slightly thicker yet dark Meinl Byzance crash in around 7 months ago. Corker of a cymbal, at an alright price. However I'm steering clear of Meinl following a couple of troubles with them, and fairly bad customer support.

Remember though that in some cases having a really thick cymbal tends to mean a rigid cymbal; slightly thinner cymbals are better at distributing the strike. With good technique you should be fine unless you really are a very heavy hitter/ use really thin cymbals. I've seen around 300% more cracked power/heavy crashes than say a medium weight crash.

To give yourself some pointers why not check out all the online soundclips? Paiste, Zildjian an Sabian all have them.

nice one guys thanks for the advice.

what it is, i have 16' and 18' sabian aax metal crashes but i managed to crack the 18'. its quite a dark sounding cymbol and i liked it for using in big chorus's, since im playing with kenetic now i need something like that.

My dad thought it would be nice to go and buy me a new crash and he got the A custom 18' but its a higher pitched cymbol than the AAX so i was thinking about adding a third cymbol, something darker sounding as i say to use during the bigger rock chorus's we have.

Ive tried the z customs and few others out but nothing really bar the k customs have really taken my fancy, i might go for one anyway, as lexicon said they are very loud anyway without you having to hit very hard, the A custom is very much like that as well, its a great cymbol.

i think maybe part of the reason i do hit so hard is the AAX's were thicker cymbols and to really get a powerful sound out of them you do have to hit them slightly harder.

will go up to prosound next week anyway and try a few out again.

:)

Guest Tam o' Shantie

didn't know that. i've cracked a few in my time.

this reminds me, i really want a new ride. i'm currently raping a 20" vintage Z medium ride, but I really want the K custom Earth Ride. Played it a while back in prosound, great simmering tones, quite a dark deep sound and the bell tone is fucking amazing

didn't know that. i've cracked a few in my time.

this reminds me' date=' i really want a new ride. i'm currently raping a 20" vintage Z medium ride, but I really want the K custom Earth Ride. Played it a while back in prosound, great simmering tones, quite a dark deep sound and the bell tone is fucking amazing[/quote']

yeh i had a shot of one of those in prosound as well when i was buying a new one a few weeks ago, they are amazing, was just a little bit too much for me to afford tho.