aberdeen-music

Touring...

Guest Philip

Guest Philip

For those that have toured in Britain and/or abroad, what kept you going(apart from music), what kept you sane etc?

Also, do you have any interesting stories good or bad to tell?

Guest highroller

...keep things light-hearted...be a gang...dont seperate off into splinter groups too much but also if you can get away from each other for a bit...do it!

Number One Rule:

What happens on the road, stays on the road...

As for the rest, erm..

Make an effort not to get in each others faces too much.

Never discuss band politics when you're pissed.

Do something other than sit in a bar or the van waiting to play a gig. Get out and about, take a football or whatever. Saves you getting too pissed in the afternoon through boredom.

Remember that no matter how big you reckon you are in your hometown, when you walk into a venue somewhere else, to them you're nobody. Acting big is a sure way to get shot down. And be as professional as you can with setting up, soundchecking etc. The crowd's expectations will be higher for a touring band, so you have more to prove.

Remember to eat. It's easy to spend three weeks pissed and having nothing but the odd kebab and Ginsters, but you'll soon have no energy for the shows at night. All you can eat pizza places are your friend. Collect offer vouchers before you go.

Buy booze collectively to get case discounts.

Start smoking rollies instead..

Driver gets the best bed/chair/floor.

Get AA cover before you go.

If you get stopped by the feds, swallow your pride and be nice. Never try to be funny.

Have deodorant and chewing gum available at all times.

You can't have too much Gaffa tape.

Insert a tracking device into your drummer.

Originally posted by Philip:

For those that have toured whether in Britain and/or abroad, what kept you going(apart from music), what kept you sane etc?

Also, do you have any interesting stories good or bad to tell?

Mostly the Videos, CDs and DVDs various people took onto the bus, and lots and lots and lots of beer. When we were parked up someplace we'd all piss off to the nearest pub for lunch and more booze too. Groupie girlies wanting to know who the fuck we were and see inside the tourbus were also good for sleazing/teasing. We also amused ourselves by kidnapping some neds in Sheffield and taking them for a little Hellride outta town in the bus after they busted the numberplate light. That was pretty cool. It was 10 days of manic fun, on the whole.

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

Number One Rule:

As for the rest, erm..

Do something other than sit in a bar or the van waiting to play a gig. Get out and about, take a football or whatever. Saves you getting too pissed in the afternoon through boredom.

Remember that no matter how big you reckon you are in your hometown, when you walk into a venue somewhere else, to them you're nobody. Acting big is a sure way to get shot down. And be as professional as you can with setting up, soundchecking etc. The crowd's expectations will be higher for a touring band, so you have more to prove.

Remember to eat. It's easy to spend three weeks pissed and having nothing but the odd kebab and Ginsters, but you'll soon have no energy for the shows at night. All you can eat pizza places are your friend. Collect offer vouchers before you go.

If you get stopped by the feds, swallow your pride and be nice. Never try to be funny.

Thats just about covered everything.....another couple of things about your driver (if its not a band member) make sure he's fed and watered on a very regular basis, dont all fuck off at the end of the show and leave him with all the gear....unless your paying him to do that of course.

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

Number One Rule:

As for the rest, erm..

Pretty much nails it.

It sounds boring, but take a day's break from the boozing and whatever else every week.

Manage your finances with eagle-like vigilance - don't buy food from over-priced service stations.

Visit guitar/music shops in every city and tell the staff you're a band on tour, they might give you some free/cheap stuff. Even if it's just picks or some gaffa tape, it's still worth it.

EDIT: Don't kidnap mentalist 16 year old geordie fanzine writers and threaten to take them back to Scotland - it'll come back to haunt you.

Guest Philip
Originally posted by Bass Monkey:

i've not toured (yet) but i'm sure the best piece of advice would be to have fun and enjoy yourself.

It's looking likely that I'll be touring in the near future...

but I hate flying, driving etc, I loath them with equal measure. I'm also prone to illness, if there's a cold on the go or anything like that, I'll catch it.

I have problems sleeping, I am under 9 stone etc etc hehe.

Perhaps I should just stay at home. :cheers:

Ah I need to take note of all this... I'm away to the states next week... though the plan is to stay in Austin for the whole week... with my lot god knows what'll happen...

Things I'm trying to focus on...

1) dont cry on front of the bigger bands

2) don't let betamax steal my nice shampoo

3) dont let patrick convince me to buy lots of nice things (I'm skint)

4) always have great hair

5) insert tracking device into Defect's afro (purrrfect hiding spot, he'd never notice)

6) get other people to buy me lots of booze (drinking age is 21 over there - damned youth)

7) play gigs

Missions whilst I'm there

* To touch lead chap from Franz Ferdinand's hair

* See B-52's

* Steal Betamax's shampoo

* Order a supersized McDonalds and attempt to eat all of it

Thats pure rock for ye.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

Ah I need to take note of all this... I'm away to the states next week... though the plan is to stay in Austin for the whole week... with my lot god knows what'll happen...

5) insert tracking device into Defect's afro (purrrfect hiding spot, he'd never notice)

6) get other people to buy me lots of booze (drinking age is 21 over there - damned youth)

7) play gigs

* See B-52's

Thats pure rock for ye.

Shut up sharon, nobody cares that you are going to the states, least of all me. Also, since when was one gig a tour. Get a clue. Seriously, nobody cares. ONE GIG. NOT A TOUR. SHUT UP

Guest phoenix_down
Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

7) play gigs

* See B-52's

Thats pure rock for ye.

mcdonalds dont do supersize anymore(its a worldwide thing i think..dont know exactly when it all stops) because they want to be healther or sum shit...fuck knows..but i have the joys of being an employee of the great company