aberdeen-music

Not Another Beggars thread

Guest pop-notmyface

Guest pop-notmyface

okay, this is kind of old news, but it's new to me, so it might have slipped past some people too...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2352671.stm

begging on the street is illegal in england (apparently?)

there are some disturbing facts about what beggars really "do", which of course sometimes rings true (was asked for 1 by a drunk beggar - eh, who you think you are kidding?)

yeah, anyway. interesting.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pop-notmyface
a beggar once asked my friends and I if we had a spare 50 grand to give him. we didn't but we did find a few quid to reward him for giving us a laugh.

did you converse with him further?

is he an aberdonian?

Guest pop-notmyface
I've got a feeling it probably said Lager.

I gave a homeless guy a pound or so the other week and he then asked if I minded him coming across to Drummonds in a minute to have a pint with me and my friends! He never came over though...

haha, he probably got refused admission... *insert own fictional outcome here*

I gave a homeless guy a pound or so the other week and he then asked if I minded him coming across to Drummonds in a minute to have a pint with me and my friends! He never came over though...

it would've been steevie, he sits outside the chippy, he comes into drummonds quite a bit...

Guest bluesxman

I was walking up Belmont St the other week and a guy walks up with the scrounging look on his face and started the traditional 'Excuse me mate?' intro, so I automatically said, 'Sorry mate, no change' and kept walking while looking back apologetically. He then had a look of extreme indignation as he said 'I was going to ask for a fag' Trying not to burst out laughing I had to explain I didn't smoke....

Guest Jake Wifebeater

A guy asked me for 20p today, I didn't have a penny on me. He had a bag of food which he'd received from the church and he clapped my arm and said "Hope you dinna mind me asking". I felt fucking awful.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Regarding the news link, that should be taken with a large pinch of salt. The local rag had one a while ago, saying beggars make £18,000 a year.

Aye, that'll be chocolate.

Has anyone ever had the "My wife's having a baby and I need a tenner to get a taxi to the hospital" story? I've had it twice now from seperate people.

One guy actually came into Slains Castle and asked me for cash for this purpose, he wouldn't accept a Bus as a sensible answer. I gave him a pound but he was actually expecting ten pounds!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
but you shouldn't' date=' you've done nothing wrong.[/quote']

True, true. Things like that get to me this time of year, though. Some people are going to have a horrible time of it over Christmas.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
At least that guy gave you a reason for wanting the money!

Some homeless guy once asked me "you wouldn't have a spare tenner would you?"

?(

Yeah, he was legit, which is why I felt bad.

I used to know a homeless guy, long dead now. His patter was the best, his opening gambit was "Excuse me, sir. Could you possibly do me a very small obligement? I'll be honest with you, I'm on the streets, etc. etc." For sheer politeness, that deserved rewarding.

The guy who sits outside the two cash machines beside the Academy shopping centre/Belmont Street is the friendliest beggar I've ever met. He doesn't actually ask you for money, he just informs you if the machines are broken and/or enquires how your night is going!

I don't really mind giving the odd 50p to a friendly beggar. It's the ones who heckle you for money that I can't stand.

Oh, and if there are any beggars reading this thread - swearing at me when I say no, won't make me change my mind!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
The guy who sits outside the two cash mashines beside the Academy shopping centre/Belmont Street is the friendliest beggar I've ever met. He doesn't actually ask you for money' date=' he just informs you if the machines are broken and/or enquires how your night is going!

I don't really mind giving the odd 50p to a friendly beggar. It's the ones who heckle you for money that I can't stand.

Oh, and if there are any beggars reading this thread - swearing at me when I say no, won't make me change my mind![/quote']

I've seen that guy, and I bet he does pretty well out of his friendly disposition. A relatively polite beggar often gets a quid from me if I have one to hand.

On the other hand, there's a right nasty bitch who harangues people at the top end of Union Street at night. She asks for money and says "Aye, fucking blah, blah, blah" when you say no. Her face could curdle milk. Can't stand the ones like that. Vile woman.

A friend of mine once gave a homeless guy some spare coppers and as he walked away he heard the guy shout "Aye, where's all the 20p's and 50p's?!". I couldn't believe it.

I always do my best to give anyone asking for change something, providing I've got it to spare and they're polite. I like the one's who say "Thanks anyway" when you say you don't have any to spare.