aberdeen-music

Music...

Guest Philip

Guest Philip

A few weeks back, I had a long think about music, and what it is etc, I came to two rough conclusions here they are:

1) Music in it's most basic form, is the disturbance of silence, but also the use of silence.

2) There is no good or bad music, music simply 'is'. It is the listener that fails to appreciate, or manages to appreciate what he is listening to.

What do you think? Do you have any other definitions of what music is?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Philip:

A few weeks back, I had a long think about music, and what it is etc, I came to two rough conclusions here they are:

1) Music in it's most basic form, is the disturbance of silence, but also the use of silence.

2) There is no good or bad music, music simply 'is'. It is the listener that fails to appreciate, or manages to appreciate what he is listening to.

I can disturb the silence in a very basic form, doesn't make it music. Back to the drawing board.

Guest Philip

Re: Re: Music...

Originally posted by soundian:

I can disturb the silence in a very basic form, doesn't make it music. Back to the drawing board.

[/quote

But say someone likes the way in which you " disturb the silence in a very basic form"?

Say they hear it as music?

Re: Re: Re: Music...

[/quote

But say someone likes the way in which you " disturb the silence in a very basic form"?

Say they hear it as music?

So that just boils down to your second point then. Music is only music if the listener perceives it as music.

Which makes all debate on the matter irrelevant if true.

My dictionary says its 'the art of making sound in a rythmically harmonious way' which I think is a better starting point. It implies deliberate actions with some structure.

Dropping a tea cup wouldn't be considered music by any sane person, dropping several tea cups in quick succession may (it would sound like a bad cafe accident to most people though). It's the difference between noise and music.

Guest Philip

Yeah, I think intent would need to be part of it, not sure about structure, but I disagree with the dictionary definition because I dont think music has to be rhythmic or harmonious!

I'm just interested to see what people think music is... defining it appears to be an impossible task though!

I hope this doesn't end up as some big argument thread though, please refrain from personal slagging etc people!!!

I've been trying to get that across for years on here.

Guest redmeat

If you look at John Cage or the fluxus movement, music doesn't even need to be the disturbance of silence!

there are some things such as "organised sound" where the composers in the 20th century discard pitch rhythem and harmony etc. I personally feel this isn't music, but still it is classed as music. that is definitly just a disturbance of silence! also things like "musique concrete" where natural sounds are recorded them modified ie. cutting re-assembling playing backward adding speed changes etc. I dont really 'like' this but i can appreciate it.

Guest Philip

Intent seems to be a key factor, silence could be said to include (natural/unintentional) ambient sound.

How about: Music is the intentional disturbance of silence and also the intentional use of silence/ambient sound!

Guest Philip

So, it looks like a minimal version of point 2 might be it:

Music simply IS

Guest Philip

I'm trying to find a definitve definition for music...

Perhaps all sound and silence can be, or is music!?

Perhaps music cannot be defined, it simply is!?

Simpson's got it.

I think music is a combination of one or more sounds with some format of structure, following some form of beat or showing some of pattern.

:D

PS: I shoudn't have used the word, "argument" :( sorry, Phil. Discussion... I should have used that word. Yes :)

Guest Philip
Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

Simpson's got it.

I think music is a combination of one or more sounds with some format of structure, following some form of beat or showing some of pattern.

:D

This doesn't take in to account a lot of stuff that has been called music though!

Why does structure and rhythm have to be involved for it to be called music?

Originally posted by ghost:

In my opinion,

sound is anything you can hear

music is any combination of one or more sounds.

No. Go back to my teacup analogy. If I dropped several teacups in a row that would be music by your definition. What if I just wanted to smash some teacups, the noise they made was irrelevant to me, that wouldn't be musical.

Guest Philip

No. Go back to my teacup analogy. If I dropped several teacups in a row that would be music by your definition. What if I just wanted to smash some teacups, the noise they made was irrelevant to me, that wouldn't be musical.

Perhaps this is accidental or unintentional music!

So the intent behind the smashing of the tea cup would have defined what that sound was, before you smashed it?

This doesn't take in to account a lot of stuff that has been called music though!

Why does structure and rhythm have to be involved for it to be called music?

Pitch or tone change as an alternative to structure or rhythm could also lump something under the label of, "music".

Which would pretty much bring in every sound known to man...

so yes.... then if that is true... everything is music, regardless of it's origin.

Guest Philip

I'm beginning to think that all sound/silence and also the vibration's that are created by sound/silence IS music, but that we are unable or refuse to recognise or acknowledge the fact that this is the case!