aberdeen-music

FIVE HORSE JOHNSON...hard liquor rock

Dizzy Storm

another gig revealed for our birthday celebrations.... some rust belt rock for the drunk and downhearted!!

FIVE HORSE JOHNSON

The city of Toledo Ohio should really consider marking 1995 as a pivotal year in its cultural history (small book that would be), for it was then that the Glass City's finest band, Five Horse Johnson, was formed. They quickly found themselves sharing the stage with the likes of Big Jack Johnson and War after just two weeks of being a band; that is just how long it took FHJ to put together their first set. Their next several years were spent in the dingy little clubs of America honing their craft.

Since then, FHJs hard acid blues has made the band one of the most talked about acts among everyone from NYC hipsters, to the tattooed boogie rockers of Austin, TX. Not to mention Europe, where they seem to be received with open arms in just about every city and country that they roll into. They have played with an astonishing array (not to mention number) of bands; a long list that includes Raging Slab, Thornetta Davis, Southern Culture On The Skids, Big Sugar, Hubert Sumlin, Junior Kimbrough, and R.L. Burnside. More recently they have shared stages with Clutch, Deep Purple, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nebula, Robin Trower, Jesus Lizard, Cheap Trick, Johnny Winter, Iggy Pop, Atomic Bitchwax, Bad Company, Queens Of The Stone Age, Nashville Pussy, Monster Magnet, Alabama Thunderpussy, and have become one of the leading lights in what some people refer to as the new underground rock movement.

With four CDs, four European and several US tours, and copious amounts of beer under their belts, Five Horse Johnson's fifth full-length album The Last Men on Earth is a recording firmly rooted in FHJs unique brand of Hard Liquor Rock: guitars, groove, and grind. Influenced by the likes of Aerosmith (the early years), ZZ Top, Howlin' Wolf and Captain Beefheart, the feel of their new record is that of a band that has finally found its stride. Tighter, stronger, American style rock without the pretenses of what passes for Rock & Roll these days, Five Horse Johnsons The Last Men on Earth will convert the masses out of today's 60's Garage fashion show into the early 70's arena where it so rightfully belongs... Saddle up, you are about to be run of of town!

www.fivehorsejohnson.com www.smallstone.com

touring support from GOLD CASH GOLD www.goldcashgold.com

local support from DEADLOSS SUPERSTAR

times & price tbc

• 4 weeks later...

Gold Cash Gold has raised quite a ruckus amongst Detroit's musical elite since forming in the early months of 2002. In a traditionally very cynical music-town, they were turning heads with the intensity of their demos and live performances within a few weeks of being a band. The Detroit Metro Times recently stated: "the nearly one-year old bandhas already penned a future rock radio staple in Diamond Mind. Live, the cocksure chemistry between Hoegemeyer and Zuccaroresemble(s) Rocks -era Tyler and Perry." That's not to say Gold Cash Gold wear their many influences on their sleeves (whether Glam, Hard Rock, Hip Hop, Punk, Reggae, or Electro); rather, they incorporate them all seamlessly. One of Detroit's many "I-used-to-be-in-a-big-band" has-beens described them as "like if Queen had gone down after Hip-Hop and Punk Rock (DIY classic rock?): fierce, elevated, and well-ventilated."

Gold Cash Gold's debut on Times Beach Records, 'Paradise Pawned,' is something of a throwback, being more of an album than listeners have become accustomed to hearing in the last few years. Hoegemeyer and Zuccaro produced the record at Detroit's famed Rustbelt Studios in what has internally become an infamous two-week session. "They never ate, slept, or left the studio for that matter," claims a Rustbelt employee, "so we just locked them in at night and let them go at it." This almost obsessive quest for perfection resulted in a recording of pronounced organic purity; it brings to mind some of the classic rock albums of the past ('IV,' anyone?). 'Paradise Pawned' is classic.

Gold Cash Gold play untainted rock'n'roll in the traditional sense of the word. They have all the makings of a legendary rock band: songs, sonics, sex, swagger and showmanship. They truly and gleefully embrace and incorporate everything that made Detroit music famous: soulful and funky, tenacious and bombastic.

they say :)

... and others say...

LOSING TODAY-U.K.

Gold Cash Gold

By Mark Barton

December, 2003

Gold Cash Gold 'Vultures' (Times Beach). Another cracking debut release, sleek, mean, moody and damn sexy, Apparently this lot are named after a Detroit pawnshop and already have a debut long player 'Paradise Pawned Volume 1' kicking up a fuss amongst the Stateside in crowd, yes Gold Cash Gold do hail from Detroit, and before you all start moaning, this is the full shilling, classic unblemished unadulterated throw back rock 'n' roll very much in the mood of vintage AC / DC without the hair and all the metal nonsense but with a built in stripped down MC5 blues edge to it with a grooving Sly Stone found kicking around at the rear of the mix. Primed with licks like vice like grips 'Vultures' is a mother of a tune, direct and totally addictive. Flip the disc for the equally tasty and all together contrasting 'Diamond Mind' where Gold Cash Gold are found taking Motown soul on holiday to sample the lysergic sunshine haze of the 60's West Coast pop and get high on the blessed out fumes while borrowing elements of Genesis' 'Abacab'. Who said the best thing to come outta Detroit since the Model T? The essential purchase if you want to avoid peerage mockery and neighbourhood stoning.

THE FLY-U.K.

Gold Cash Gold Return

By Olly Hodgson

November, 2003

Supported by Maupa and The Unisex, Gold Cash Gold quite frankly blew the place apart last week which is why we couldn't resist the chance to get them back in straight away for a headline slot. Genuine Made In Detroit Rock n Roll they're signed to their hometown's Times Beach Records and should not be missed.

Supporting, Maupa are intelligent, dark, beautiful. Think Elbow and Nick Drake. They come from Accrington but please, no renditions of the old milk advert. Oh go on then, just one, Accrington Stanley? Who are they? Exachhhhhtly aagh get off gimme some get off! The Unisex are Norwegian. Well done

DETROIT FREE PRESS

Gutsy rockers strike gold out on their own

By Liz Hill

October, 2003

The Lowdown: Forget about all the sub-genres that have taken over since real rock 'n' roll sank into the gutter. Gold Cash Gold is rock -- straight rock. It might even be in the gutter -- nasally vocals and a name off a pawn shop wall -- but it's still rock. With gutsy guitar riffs and straight-ahead vocals, Gold Cash Gold is unafraid to, pardon the expression, rock out.

The LineUp: Singer-keyboardist Eric Hoegemeyer and guitarist Steve Zuccaro have been friends and bandmates for more than a decade. They were in the almost-famous band Charm Farm and did a stint backing up their buddy Uncle Kracker (with Hoegemeyer on drums). But in early 2002, the pair, who cowrite all of Gold Cash Gold's songs, decided it was time to do their own thing. "We just said, 'It's now or never. We've got to make a move and start doing our own music,' " says Zuccaro. So they recruited Dino Zoyes to play bass and Michael Falzon for drums and quickly became a band's band in and around Detroit.

Paradise Pawned: The title of Gold Cash Gold's first release, "Paradise Pawned Vol. I" (on Royal Oak's Times Beach Records) refers to the band's name. Zuccaro and Hoegemeyer actually had the name in mind since 1995 when they were doing a photo shoot near a pawn shop with the words "Gold Cash Gold" splashed on the wall. The group's first video, for the cop-disparaging single "Vultures," even takes place in the shop, where the boys steal their instruments back after they pawn them.

Stepping into the spotlight: A former drummer, Hoegemeyer was nervous at first to be out in front. But now, any apprehension he may have had has washed away. With his hair falling just long enough to shade his eyes, Hoegemeyer shimmies and shakes like a man possessed. The percussionist in him, however, is never far from the surface -- he's never without a tambourine or a pair of maracas. "If I'm doing something rhythmic," he says, "it helps me get into the music more."

Back in the U.S. of A.: Just off a tour of the U.K., Gold Cash Gold has its CD-release party at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward, Ferndale. $7. 248-544-3030. With the Cyril Lords and Over Under Sideways Down.

METROTIMES

Gold Cash Gold

Paradise Pawned-Vol. 1 Times Beach

By Brian Smith-October,2003

Worthy records that have crossed this desk recently.

The original Gold Cash Gold is a decrepitly lovely Michigan Avenue pawnshop whose facade is at once imposing and discreet, with garish proclamations of easy riches still projecting from the wall face. Its as fitting a rock n roll metaphor as any, full of the fading promises of glittering returns and reeking of cheery yesterdays the perfect namesake for a band that may well be an anachronism amid shameless gestures of contemporary rock.

Pawned is rich with the warmth of vintage tube amps, full of brash rhythms and melodies played with both kidlike innocence and coarse command.

The songs are driven by musicians who conceivably spent thousands of hours at a tender age holed in their bedrooms listening to, among other things, Zep and Sly Stone on headphones.

Drummer-turned-singer Eric Hoegemeyer, like any rock singer worth his weight in bony knees and liver damage, has a voice that takes a few spins to get acclimated to; his is equal parts bratty kid, innocent whimsy, and swaggering self-loather all wrapped up in leather trousers.

The crowning moment here is opener Diamond Mind, two alluringly melancholic chords droning over a groove-rich beat and a Billy Preston-like organ under lyrics about the senselessness of seeing things with only one eye open. The tune sets the tone for the rest of the album, which has as much to do with opium dens and claret-hued Moroccan rugs you can almost smell the hookah charcoal and amber resin as it does Crowes- and Zep-inspired licks.

Damaged is perhaps the albums centerpiece, complete with a Jimmy Page nod slipped into the intro, a Bonham-precious beat, and a dramatic 8-step build out of the final chorus that would bend Bob Ezrins lips into a pleased grin. The four minutes hit home with autobiographical lines about a quixotic kid on a devils-music trajectory, penning lines to his love interest that run short cause hes out of weed. The song is a time-honored tale of rock n roll isolation told simply and honestly, and with heart, and is, of course, without redemption.

Vultures knocks trend-predator record-biz weasels with the opening line, I seen the demons in the sewer vents/They shot me full of their compliments, then proceeds to knock the listener out with a riff Mick Ronson forgot to make up.

A riff mutiny in classic rock radio tradition using daylight as the decisive metaphor for drug-addled depression anchors Same Old Blues. And Run Brother Run is a bluesy lament built on juvenile self-pity saved by gnarly Hammond B3 lines and a guitar line that winks at the right hand of Duane Allman. Worthy is Spaced Out, a between-song interlude that lasts about as long as it takes to hit a bong. Hard Times would nestle nicely next to Multi-Colored Lady on Gregg Allmans Laid Back: remarkable in how it sounds straight out of another era without coming off satirical or mocking.

Paradise Pawned Vol. 1 is a Detroit rock n roll record worth going out and spending money youve set aside for that Jet disc.

The band (singer/keyboardist Hoegemeyer, guitarist Steve Zuccaro, bassist Dino Zoyes and drummer Michael Falzon) just wrapped their first-ever UK tour and reports are that it was successful, complete with encores and invites to return.

Gold Cash Gold will celebrate the local release of this record at the Magic Bag (22920 Woodward, Ferndale) on Saturday, Nov. 1, with the Cyril Lords and Over, Under, Sideways, Down. Call 248-544-3030.

METROTIMES

Gold Cash Gold-Cover Story

By Brian Smith

May, 2003

What: Unpolluted rock 'n' roll in the time-honored sense of the word. The band has, for lack of a less hackneyed term, swagger. Eric Hoegemeyer- vocals/electric piano; Steve Zuccaro-guitar; Michael Falzon-drums; Dino Zoyes-bass.

Why you should give a damn: Don't hold the fact that GCG members did time in Mercury band Charm Farm-or backed Uncle Kracker-against them. That would be gauche. The nearly year-old band improves exponentially with each show and has already penned a future rock radio staple in "Diamond Mine." Live, the cocksure chemistry between Hoegemeyer and Zuccaro is beginning to resemble Rocks-era Tyler and Perry.

Debts/ spritual forefathers: Faces, Stones, Sly, Zep, Crowes, AC/DC.

The killer quote: Guitarist Zuccaro thankfully eschews mumbo jumbo when explaining the GCG mainfesto: "We love rock 'n' roll and just want to make rock 'n' roll for people who love rock 'n' roll."

Releases: Just signed to Times Beach, a debut full-length is due early fall.

Predictions: Doing bongs with Rich Robinson and Greg Allman in the back of their own tour coach.

REAL DETROIT

Gold Cash Gold-Live & Loud

By Shannon McCarthy

December, 2002

If you were forced to play a Christmas song, which one would you play? "Pass the Dutchie" by Musical Youth. It's not a Christmas song, but I could switch up some of the lyrics to give it a holiday vibe.

Best Christmas gift you've ever received? Speak and Spell.

Your strongest holiday memory (good or bad)? Hearing the Electrifying Mojo spinning "Last Night I spent Another Lonely Christmas" by Prince on WJLB when I was 9. It changed my life forever.

What do you want for Christmas? Three more wishes, fool.

The best thing about winter in Detroit? Bumper-hitching.

The worst thing about winter in Detroit? Sliding through busy intersections.

Whose lap would you like to sit on to ask for gifts? If I could sit on my own lap, I'd never leave the house.

Signed Eric Hoegemeyer

REAL DETROIT

Gold Cash Gold-Departure

By Shannon McCarthy

November, 2002

Gold Cash Gold's Eric Hoegemeyer isn't afraid to tell the truth. "We were modelling our songwriting after Journey for a little while. Honestly, we were....Journey's bad ass." Although Hoegemeyer said he doesn't "have the pipes" and he's too tall to emulate Steve Perry to the fullest, he does admire Perry's songwriting. "The way he sings and he writes songs, he ain't ashamed of his sensitive side." While Journey may have invented the power ballad, Hoegemeyer (vocals, electric piano), and his songwriting partner Steve Zuccaro (guitar), have actually made an effort not to record all of their ballads because there are just too many, and they don't want to be a ballad band. "I'm a sucker for a ballad," Zuccaro said. But in regard to Perry, he feels differently: "He ruined a whole generation of men, " he laughed.

Not once during our afternoon interview did Zuccaro or Hoegemeyer ever mention Charm Farm or Uncle Kracker, which was a bit unexpected since playing with those two bands is what has so far given them their most success. Until this past January, they were on tour with Kracker-Hoegemeyer on drums and Zuccaro on guitar. So while they could still be lounging by the pool side, playing shows for a major recording star, the two gave it up earlier this year to form Gold Cash Gold with Michael Falzon (drums) and Dino Zoyes (bass). The Duo have been working together since their Charm Farm days in Charm Farm, but only now have they really been able to do their own thing. They left their "commitment" in January to start a new band from the ground up. "We'd been playing in other projects for a while that weren't really going in the direction he or I wanted, and we decided that it was time to give ourselves 100 percent towards this project," Zuccaro said, sipping a pop. Hoegemeyer added, "It was just a matter of doing it for so long.... We'd been putting a lot inot other people's projects, making other people sound good, so it was time to do what we love to do."

In Gold Cash Gold, Hoegemeyer has become the focus of attention for the first time- Gold Cash Gold is his first attempt at singing. With his baseball cap nearly hiding his eyes, Hoegemeyer may just be discovering his singing voice, but with his gentle demure and pleasing looks, he could easily become a celebrated frontman. With a swift EP released and a number of gigs under their belt, Gold Cash Gold mutate with each song they record. Self-described as both "soulful rock" and "classic rock", the band take elements of early 70's mind-expanding rock, and fuse them with modern-day balladry. "We're trying to write anthems, " Hoegemeyer stated. The band aren't at that point quite yet, at least from listening to their EP, but they could very well be there with time.

There isn't a formula to write songs that will be thought of as timeless and classic, but Gold Cash Gold want to be remembered for just that. They would like to be an important band that writes important songs. "An important song is something that captures a particular period of time in your life" Hoegemeyer said. "This Bob Marley album, Natty Dread, I equate it with living in this house and building my studio.. Every time I hear it, it brings me back to a period in my life. When you write the song, you're feeling a certain way, and I think that translates to the first timea person hears a song. If it really grabs them then they're always going to remember that time."

Piss-taking? On this board? How uncouth!

Ever since the Real McKenzies gig was virtually sold out with advance tickets I've had a strange paranoia about being left standing outside Drakes as everyone boogies down to some amazing bands that I was too lazy to get off my arse and get a ticket for.

Guest tv tanned

I think I may have to attend this 'ere gig.

Depending on how pooped I am after work of course.

I like how you use a good review in Kerrang as though it's something to be proud of! :)

Sounds like a shit-hot evening of rawk