aberdeen-music

Mew in Edinburgh

mmd040

Wasnt aware there was a bad sense ? Prog's just another word for more epic sounding stiuff pretty much' date=' things which are more complicated usually.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Prog would also include bands like Yes and Camel or whatever they were called. That is a bad sense. And prog does not mean more epic sounding, it actually means progressive, something that is pushing the boundaries a bit.

Prog would also include bands like Yes and Camel or whatever they were called. That is a bad sense. And prog does not mean more epic sounding' date=' it actually means progressive, something that is pushing the boundaries a bit.[/quote']

Nothing wronmg with a bit of Yes or Camel. I know what prog means in the literal sense, but surely as all bands should be progressing pushing the boundaries of what they do then they should be prog ?

Prog nowadays means something that is complicated and possibly a bit self indulgent, the definitions have changed.

Cheers

Stuart

Nothing wronmg with a bit of Yes or Camel. I know what prog means in the literal sense' date=' but surely as all bands should be progressing pushing the boundaries of what they do then they should be prog ?

Prog nowadays means something that is complicated and possibly a bit self indulgent, the definitions have changed.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

The reason Mew are getting called prog now is that their new album is a concept album. Poor things should never be degraded by being mentioned in the same breath as Yes or Camel.

The reason Mew are getting called prog now is that their new album is a concept album. Poor things should never be degraded by being mentioned in the same breath as Yes or Camel.

A concept album is about as porg as you can get ? Tales from Topographical Oceans, Misplaced Childhood, The Wall, etc etc...

Just out of interest have you ever heard Yes or Camel or is it just that its unfashionable to like prog and them ?

No-one can deny that Yes were outstanding musicians, Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe, etc all brilliant musicians. I would be surprised if Mew thought it was an insult to be mentioned in the same breath.

Cheers

Stuart

A concept album is about as porg as you can get ? Tales from Topographical Oceans' date=' Misplaced Childhood, The Wall, etc etc...

Just out of interest have you ever heard Yes or Camel or is it just that its unfashionable to like prog and them ?

No-one can deny that Yes were outstanding musicians, Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe, etc all brilliant musicians. I would be surprised if Mew thought it was an insult to be mentioned in the same breath.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I know a concept album is a prog as you can get. That was my point. I have heard both Yes and Camel, ableit briefly, but long enough to know what utter wretched muso wank shit it is. The fact that you talk about what "brilliant musicians" Yes are cements my opinion.

I know a concept album is a prog as you can get. That was my point. I have heard both Yes and Camel' date=' ableit briefly, but long enough to know what utter wretched muso wank shit it is. The fact that you talk about what "brilliant musicians" Yes are cements my opinion.[/quote']

OK that last bit confuses me, good musicians cant write good tunes etc ? Or good musicians dont make good rock stars, I'm confused.

Cheers

Stuart

They do have soul... they just express it in a different way than what some people think 'soul' is or must be... Thats my view on it.

Im not attacking you, I would just challenge people to go and talk to some of the great musicians that have been mentioned in this thread... and say there music lacks soul...

You are clearly enthusing purely over their technical ability' date=' which most prog bands have in anbundance whilst lacking any real soul.[/quote']

Most good prog rock bands have both, Marillion is a prime example of a prog band who has incredibly powerfull music, and a lot of soul. 'Yes' have some great powerfull stuff like Time and a Word, King Crimson and even ELP had some powerfull stuff.

Being technically good does not mean that you can't play with soul !

Hendrix for example ?

Cheers

Stuart

Most good prog rock bands have both' date=' Marillion is a prime example of a prog band who has incredibly powerfull music, and a lot of soul. 'Yes' have some great powerfull stuff like Time and a Word, King Crimson and even ELP had some powerfull stuff.

Being technically good does not mean that you can't play with soul !

Hendrix for example ?

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Hendrix might play with soul but he sucks. He was only good for being cool. But this thread is about Mew so dry your Britney Spears about me insulting prog.

Hendrix might play with soul but he sucks. He was only good for being cool. But this thread is about Mew so dry your Britney Spears about me insulting prog.

In your opinion he sucks, he was innovative and pushed the boundaries which according to your definition makes him prog, I was just interested why you felt the need to dismiss a whole genre whilst praising a band that falls very obviously into that genre, there are different types of prog same as anything and some people like it some dont but the genre more than any other gets a slagging for nothing more than the fact its unfashionable and not everyone likes or 'gets' it.

Cheers

Stuart

Mew are a fantastic band seen them live twice and its quite a show. And they've always been prog' date='. or neo-prog as people say now. Unlike Radiohead who use the label when it suits them.

Some progs good, some's bad. Personally I don't like Yes but that doesn't make all prog bad![/quote']

All prog involving capes is though.