aberdeen-music

fickle public at the spread eagle, saturday 17th Sept

lepeep

the boys are in London to end a day of celebrations for "Small-town America records"....

I haven't heard FP in a while, so I was pleased to hear that Al, Lewis, Phil and James were in London...I have to say their new stuff is pretty damn good, very clever, almost too clever for the audience, but definitely worth getting into.

New angular stabby shellac meets firehouse / oxes / big n / blah blah blah....

Needless to say, wonderful intelligent melodic yet jarring indi...rock?

Some of the audience simply didn't (or couldn't) keep up with the changes, people nodding to the 4 bars of oh so catchy bass / drums / stabs of guitar, with Al's half falsetto / shrieking (sometimes tuneful, sometimes strangled) vocals, next bar, oh oh, who but 5, 6 and 7 beats in that riff?) quite fun to watch, if you are into that (I am), but I did feel that most of the audience were lost.

I soooo look forward to hearing the tunes on a cd, I think fickle public are a "personal" experience, there's not much chance the "masses" could dance to this, perhaps some of the more simple numbers, but few and far between are the arrangements of 4/4....even the mogwai-esque (with the wonderful Orwellian vocals) last tune (never know the names of the songs) has stabs of 1/4 beats and pauses set to fuck your head right up...an amazing spectacle to see (when it all goes to plan) but to jo-shmo - who, half pissed wants to hear 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4....stay at home.

for me, the music - 9/10

I got the feeling the actual fickle public watching this : orange / shoe box

---------

I just noticed....

I put this in the wrong fucking discussion board!

I should just leave them in the "all music" and let neil move them... ho ho

Do they have gigs in The Spread Eagle now? I've been away too long. I proposed to my wife in there... in fact' date=' I spent most of 1996/1997 in there![/quote']

That's so cool...

as for gigs, I'd hope not, it's a tiny pokey wee hole!

it was the end of the day party / showcase....but it was packed (100 people in a corridor with a bar!) I was quite supprised at the size of it, and the bouncers were being arses...(well, not letting the band back in to get their stuff because "it's packed" was a bit stupid....

twas a good set though.

hey, how often did you go to the flower market on comombia road, if you frequented the Spread Eagle ?

That's so cool...

as for gigs' date=' I'd hope not, it's a tiny pokey wee hole!

it was the end of the day party / showcase....but it was packed (100 people in a corridor with a bar!) I was quite supprised at the size of it, and the bouncers were being arses...(well, not letting the band back in to get their stuff because "it's packed" was a bit stupid....

twas a good set though.

hey, how often did you go to the flower market on comombia road, if you frequented the Spread Eagle ?[/quote']

Not too often, to be honest - I was a total Camdenite, living just a minute's walk from the aforementioned pub. I'd mooch between The Spread Eagle, Dublin Castle and The Good Mixer, depending on which friend was working behind the bar and therefore able to slip me free drinks...