aberdeen-music

strozsek on friday

Ollie

I can see the connection......when I first heard Stroszek I thought there was a joy division esque tinge, but I wouldnt go as far as saying they sound just like Interpol in fact theres only a mild element of that kind of sound- obviously people will be influenced by the bands they have listened to over the years. I think Stroszek have a lot of potential - people should check them out, its a pretty original sound within the context of the aberdeen scene. But I stick with my opinion that they need a drummer.....and maybe even another guitarist.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Les Stroszek
they need a drummer.....and maybe even another guitarist.

Well I'd be happy to in the future if we can build up a reputation, probaly just a drummer though maybe I'll force Richey to play some chords perhaps! Its hard to find people who are committed though and we are a tight unit right now. Also its easy doing gigs as we don't have a shit load of equipment to carry and Im very lazy.

Guest idol_wild

I think the Interpol connection is a bit blase. Same with the Joy Division thing.

Clearly, they sound like The Editors more than anyone (and that is only slightly tongue-in-cheek).

But I do think the band (and it's Super Fan) need to stop trying to vindicate themselves by name dropping other bands in an attempt to divert the Interpol/Joy Division thing. I saw mentions of the Cocteau Twins and Josef K, which is all well and good that you listen to such bands - and indeed feel the need to exclaim that you're influenced by them - but personally I hear very little evidence of their sound in the sound of Stroszek. Now, before I make any silly prejudices, I'm going to wait to see the band play a show or two rather than judge them on sketchily recorded renditions uploaded to MySpace, but I think the best thing you could do as a band is just ignore any comparisons made by others and just do what you do. Name-dropping other bands you listen to is almost as weak as the comparisons made thus far. If you're worth your salt as a band, you can bypass that and just get on with believing in what you do.

For the record, I quite liked the tunes I listened to - without being overwhelmed. So overwhelm me when I come to see you live.

Well to save further confusion there's always Aguirre' date=' Fitzcarraldo, Cobra Verde, Woyzeck..... ;) (I know he has many others but I like Klaus Kinski so those are the ones I know which are not linked to Joy Division...)[/quote']

How about Nosferatu: Vampiro de la Noche for a band name? (disclaimer: my spanish spelling is undoubtedly wrong)

Guest Les Stroszek

Cheers your right it is about time I stopped name-dropping even though im honestly not trying to sound cool - I actually do like those bands but I'll shut my mouth from now on! Anyway thanks for listening hope to see you idol_wild at the gig tommorow even though I don't know who you are so please come up to me after the gig introduce yourself and tell me if you enjoyed the show!

Guest bluesxman
I would agree with Bluesxman when he says a lot of our songs sound more early-era Cure in sound. I love the sparse sound of 'Faith' for example.

And that's just the Cure album that sprung to my mind funnily enough!

Guest bluesxman
Name-dropping other bands you listen to is almost as weak as the comparisons made thus far. If you're worth your salt as a band' date=' you can bypass that and just get on with believing in what you do.[/quote']

I wouldn't blame the band too much, they seem to suffer from people (who are probably actually trying to be helpful) making outlandish claims of greatness for them, having a counter-productive effect, as people then look to provide a more realistic viewpoint, hence this thread.... previously they were placed alongside the Bunnymen, Banshees, Cure, etc as peers!!!

Guest Les Stroszek
*cough*status quo*cough*

I seen Status Quo earlier on this year... I had no choice!

What time are we on tonight? Got to say I don't know and I won't be able to come get back to post it on here but its bound to be after 10 but don't know the exact time yet.

Guest Les Stroszek

Oh shit wasin't going to bring the keyboard but should bring it just to play the demo yes! Anyway we'll be playing one new song tonight which we played a couple of weeks ago in Edinburgh.

I wouldn't blame the band too much' date=' they seem to suffer from people (who are probably actually trying to be helpful) making outlandish claims of greatness for them, having a counter-productive effect, as people then look to provide a more realistic viewpoint, hence this thread.... previously they were placed alongside the Bunnymen, Banshees, Cure, etc as peers!!![/quote']

i'll hold my hand up there but it was all in the name of enthusiasm, fuck all of you who had a go at me as well, if youve got something to say id rather you do it to my face.

i'll hold my hand up there but it was all in the name of enthusiasm' date=' fuck all of you who had a go at me as well, if youve got something to say id rather you do it to my face.[/quote']

I think I speak for Les and Richey as well when I say that we've never had a problem with anything you've posted about us thus far Ollie, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I think I speak for Les and Richey as well when I say that we've never had a problem with anything you've posted about us thus far Ollie' date=' so I wouldn't worry about it.[/quote']

nah i know les was a but pissed off at me incase folk were put off by my original review of the tunnels gig. I said they sounded like galaxie 500/new order/ banshees ect ect and totally hyped them up. Thats not to say they dont sound like them but at the end of the day people should make up their own minds and me trying to be an NME writer didnt help the cause. I feel shit for doing that but to be honest i doubt that will effect how well the band do.

But still i really dont give a fuck if people think im being sychofantic ect ect cause im not. I go to gigs to enjoi the music . I just wanted to wish les well

So did anyone actually come and see us? If so what did you think? We felt it was a bit of a weird gig, made weirder by the fact we can't quite put our finger on why it felt weird.

Me fucking up a 7 minute song within the first few drumbeats didn't exactly help like!

I daresay finding the lead for my bass amp suddenly wasn't working just before soundcheck didn't help matters either (whoever it was that decided it was okay to just borrow it - thanks for that. Really.)

Guest bluesxman
So did anyone actually come and see us? If so what did you think? We felt it was a bit of a weird gig' date=' made weirder by the fact we can't quite put our finger on why it felt weird.

Me fucking up a 7 minute song within the first few drumbeats didn't exactly help like!

I daresay finding the lead for my bass amp suddenly wasn't working just before soundcheck didn't help matters either (whoever it was that decided it was okay to just borrow it - thanks for that. Really.)[/quote']

I came along, you had already started so not sure how much I missed.

I stick with my opinion that you sound music-wise like The Cure circa Faith, with some songs actually reminding me of shoegazing bands such as Slowdive with use of guitar effects and style of playing. Your bass playing was good enough, don't think much of the drum machine though. The vocals were very flat and brought you down considerably, but maybe he was having an off night.

So did anyone actually come and see us? If so what did you think? We felt it was a bit of a weird gig' date=' made weirder by the fact we can't quite put our finger on why it felt weird.

I daresay finding the lead for my bass amp suddenly wasn't working just before soundcheck didn't help matters either (whoever it was that decided it was okay to just borrow it - thanks for that. Really.)[/quote']

came down to the gig to see what could learn from you as you have been keen to pass on constructive criticism over the past few weeks, and also your bandmate already name dropped us twice on this thread so i thought i would give you an honest personal opinion on your set.

have to say i was very surprised that you guys were not the greatest live act i have ever seen with a large following based on the knowledge you have been keen to pass on to me. regards the gig being weird it is probably for 2 reasons

1. it is always hard playing to someone elses crowd and thus people are talking through your set

b. i presume you had monitor problems as through most songs you seemed to have problemes staying in time and thus a lot of the time were playing off the beat

you probably want to get a drummer as the problem with drum machines is no matter what you do it still sounds kind of flat and thus lacks a bit of feeling and also no dynamics in verse to choruses etc.

anyway no offence meant just some 'constructive criticism' for you. on a positive note you certainly dont sound like any other 'pub band in the country' though not sure if that is a good thing.

thought Arrowspeed were quality and the same for Stereo Glo so good night all in all

best of luck to you, maybe a bit more time working on self promotion to get a following and getting profficient rather than sitting sniping at others could be a good shout

I came along' date=' you had already started so not sure how much I missed.

I stick with my opinion that you sound music-wise like The Cure circa Faith, with some songs actually reminding me of shoegazing bands such as Slowdive with use of guitar effects and style of playing. Your bass playing was good enough, don't think much of the drum machine though. The vocals were very flat and brought you down considerably, but maybe he was having an off night.[/quote']

Aye, we couldn't get a rehearsal in until not long before the gig, and Richey fucked his voice a bit then.

And malloty, the reason we're not the greatest live act ever yet is that it was only our 4th show together - my 4th ever and Richey's 5th ever. And personally I'd say I'm doing pretty good so far considering I've only been playing bass for 2 months.

We'll take your advice and start hyping ourselves up to ridiculous proportions though.

Aye' date=' we couldn't get a rehearsal in until not long before the gig, and Richey fucked his voice a bit then.

And malloty, the reason we're not the greatest live act ever yet is that it was only our 4th show together - my 4th ever and Richey's 5th ever. And personally I'd say I'm doing pretty good so far considering I've only been playing bass for 2 months.

We'll take your advice and start hyping ourselves up to ridiculous proportions though.[/quote']

credit where credit is due - for two months playing that was a quality performance and have seen a lot worse from people who have been playing from years - good work fella!