aberdeen-music

"promotion"

Cloud

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to close it, there's some decent debate coming out of it - okay, there's a few personal attacks, but nothing over the top.

As for the question of MMW doing more than GSN - I like both bands equally, and being completely honest, Girl Said No have probably done more by virtue of more mainstream press.

It would be better if it were a non band member that thought Girl said no were the greatest thing since sliced loaf

Exactly!

I personally think Stroszek are going to become the greatest band Scotland has ever produced' date=' but we leave any hyperbole like that to our uber-fan Ollie!

usually fine to mention your personal opinion in a thread on a forum etc (unless you end up in court)

Haha!!

sorry 5 pages of slagging now

Self-important "quips" like that merely reinforce the widely held opinion that you've got a vastly over-inflated view of yourselves. It's not 5 pages of slagging, it's 5 pages of people trying (and apparently failing) to make you see what is wrong with your whole attitude. Or to put it another way, 5 pages of people banging their heads against a wall.

And don't bother with the "oh it's so funny seeing how riled you all are ROFL!!!" type shite. It's a well abused tactic of arrogant twats.

Exactly!

Self-important "quips" like that merely reinforce the widely held opinion that you've got a vastly over-inflated view of yourselves. It's not 5 pages of slagging' date=' it's 5 pages of people trying (and apparently failing) to make you see what is wrong with your whole attitude. Or to put it another way, 5 pages of people banging their heads against a wall.

And don't bother with the "oh it's so funny seeing how riled you all are ROFL!!!" type shite. It's a well abused tactic of arrogant twats.[/quote']

this general opinion stuff is bollocks. we have been in the studio for about three months and the last thing we actually promoted in aberdeen was our last show at the lemon tree in april.

what it seems is that because we were asked to play free at the dee and because of the (fun) interview on what is actually a really good show on Northsound, which will in time be a benefit to all the bands who bother to get their material, a couple of folk have taken offence to the fact that we have been asked to do these things as they dont like our music. anyone checking back will see this is the case - fact.

Personally i think it is a bit sad that on a forum for aberdeen music instead of sharing ideas/contacts people spend their time slagging off others in the scene because basically they dont like the music.the whole point about the music scene is that it is diverse if it wasnt it would be boring!! there is plenty musi ci dont like but i appreciate the fact that people have different tastes and beleive in what they do.

regards 5 pages of people trying to tellme whats wrong with my attitude - again bollocks. again i go back to how i even got on the site it was actually because several folk had actually taken offence to us being on the radio as we are not alternative enough for them or something.

i would actually be very surprised if some of the people who are slagging us off have seen our newsletters, checked our website or come to our gigs yet based on what has been said by others have a formed opinion on what we do. We dont ram oursleves down peoples throats we just make the best of the oppurtunities we get which i hope all band would.

so regards attitude, arrogance and the like - its a bit sad that that is the opinion by some because i dont hare certain opinions of regular users of the site. I dont say that my opinion is right and others are wrong just that they are different - no problem. It has actually been an interesting debate in some ways with Stuart and throughout this a lot of really good aberdeen bands have been mentioned who are doing well so a lot of positives have come out of it.

just to further annoy the few folk who have taken so much offence i will repeat what i have said on just about every thread in the last few day-

music is a matter of opinion, not everyone likes the same thing!! (what arrogance to say such a thing)

. i presume joky comments like 'there are 3 number 1's and 3 number 2 singles on the cd' are what have caused the commotion that has seen the attack on not one but 2 threads over the last few days.

Possibly because it's not a very good joke and the inital reaction would be to think your being serious, I probably wouldn't have got it if you hadn't said it was a jokey comment and I am a Master of Bad Jokes(Cambridge). Perhaps best to leave humour to comedians, people look for the joke in what they say rather than taking it at face value.

Possibly because it's not a very good joke and the inital reaction would be to think your being serious' date=' I probably wouldn't have got it if you hadn't said it was a jokey comment and I am a Master of Bad Jokes(Cambridge). Perhaps best to leave humour to comedians, people look for the joke in what they say rather than taking it at face value.[/quote']

to be fair i was laughing when i said it as were the 7 other people in the studio so it was pretty obvious, again if it had been a band certain folk had liked it wouldnt have been an issue, the original issue was that we were on the 'alternative' show in the first place

Cough

I have absolutely no idea what this thread is about but felt like I should mention the fact that Staccato Set have played T in The Park, supported Alabama 3, have a few songs released on a couple of compilation cd's, played Musicworks in Glasgow, travelled the Clyde playing on a boat at a Radio Magnetic party, invited and played PRS New Talent Stage on Fringe Sunday in Edinburgh and currently recording and new extended ep for release later in the year. Not too shabby really... We are/were principaly an Aberdeen band, although Ziggy is now based in Edinburgh and is very networked but we tend not define ouselves or be defined by geography and therefore avoid the whole 'who is doing what from where and how good... debates' Its all a little silly to be honest but human nature huh, as I have just proved by writing all that blurb at the start in some sort of pissing contest. Just wanted to show that a band can be very active and be playing high profile gigs, getting a fair bit of attention but don't always have to follow the ego route...

That said, when we complete our new cohesive recording we will be getting in peoples faces, because we will have a product worthy of such egocentric behaviour. :laughing::p:up:

to be fair i was laughing when i said it as were the 7 other people in the studio so it was pretty obvious' date=' again if it had been a band certain folk had liked it wouldnt have been an issue, the original issue was that we were on the 'alternative' show in the first place[/quote']

Still not a very obvious joke though, it wasn't obvious to me even knowing it was a joke, I still had to look for it. I never heard the interview though.

I have absolutely no idea what this thread is about but felt like I should mention the fact that Staccato Set have played T in The Park' date=' supported Alabama 3, have a few songs released on a couple of compilation cd's, played Musicworks in Glasgow, travelled the Clyde playing on a boat at a Radio Magnetic party, invited and played PRS New Talent Stage on Fringe Sunday in Edinburgh and currently recording and new extended ep for release later in the year. Not too shabby really... We are/were principaly an Aberdeen band, although Ziggy is now based in Edinburgh and is very networked but we tend not define ouselves or be defined by geography and therefore avoid the whole 'who is doing what from where and how good... debates' Its all a little silly to be honest but human nature huh, as I have just proved by writing all that blurb at the sart in some sort of pissing contest. Just wanted to show that a band can be very active and be playing high profile gigs, getting a fair bit of attention but don't always have to follow the ego route...

That said, when we complete our new cohesive recording we will be getting in peoples faces, because we will have a product worthy of such egocentric behaviour. :laughing::p:up:[/quote']

fair play to you and congrats. nothing wrong with listing your achievements as for most it generates interest and i will certainly be looking out for you guys in future

all the best

Still not a very obvious joke though' date=' it wasn't obvious to me even knowing it was a joke, I still had to look for it. I never heard the interview though.[/quote']

in future i will start with 'and this next comment is meant in cheeky chappy type jokey manner please dont take offence' before i say anything.

in future i will start with 'and this next comment is meant in cheeky chappy type jokey manner please dont take offence' before i say anything.

No need for sarcasm' date=' I was only pointing out [b']why what you said was easy to take the wrong way, as a few people seem to have done.

You're keen on learning from your mistakes, learn from that one, and from the one you made when you replied to constructive criticism as you just did.

No need for sarcasm' date=' I was only pointing out [b']why what you said was easy to take the wrong way, as a few people seem to have done.

You're keen on learning from your mistakes, learn from that one, and from the one you made when you replied to constructive criticism as you just did.

no offence intended and point taken.

all i was highlighting was that when you make a joke that is a spur of the moment thing and certainly dont think about the way people would pick up on it.

as i mentioned before the issue changed from the initial thread which was slagging Girl Said No and saying that they shouldnt be on as they are not part of 'the scene' and are not alternative etc which was why i replied in the first place -just to say that not everyone has the same musical tastes etc. since then on the most part it has been good banter with more people getting involved and irate as they dont appreciate the fact that i dont share their opinions on certain topics.

on another point as it seems a few folk aree looking into this thread to see what is said next may be worth you adding something about your granite city site which is a quailty idea and far more worthy of the space than whether people agree with me.

all the best

cheers

on another point as it seems a few folk aree looking into this thread to see what is said next may be worth you adding something about your granite city site which is a quailty idea and far more worthy of the space than whether people agree with me.

But obiously not as interesting, otherwise I'd have more than 11 bands replying by now. Which is pathetic.

But obiously not as interesting' date=' otherwise I'd have more than 11 bands replying by now. Which is pathetic.[/quote']

which is one of the points i have been making - heaps of people being negative about GSn and what we do when time could be better spent promoting themsleves and the scene which sites like yours will do.

(hopefully i havent jinxed your site by supporting it)

no offence intended and point taken.

all i was highlighting was that when you make a joke that is a spur of the moment thing and certainly dont think about the way people would pick up on it.

as i mentioned before the issue changed from the initial thread which was slagging Girl Said No and saying that they shouldnt be on as they are not part of 'the scene' and are not alternative etc which was why i replied in the first place -just to say that not everyone has the same musical tastes etc. since then on the most part it has been good banter with more people getting involved and irate as they dont appreciate the fact that i dont share their opinions on certain topics.

all the best

cheers

I find you so self obsessed and paranoid its unreal.....

Thats just an opinion by the way.

I find you so self obsessed and paranoid its unreal.....

Thats just an opinion by the way.

quality thanks for that so, just to clarify

self obsessed - for trying to highlight the gc site which is currenlty being set up for local bands rather than talk about myself

paranoid - for responding to slaggings/negative comments

but obviously i respect your opinion

cheers

obviously i respect your opinion

cheers

That hit the nail right on the head, you need to earn peoples respect and by perpetuating this pointless tit for tat pish you are not helping your bands cause.

Go and do what it says on your biog, write good songs and get them out there, most people dont give a flying fuck about how good you CLAIM you are, people are going to judge you on merit alone. People's personal taste is also a factor and I would imagine I would HATE HATE HATE any band who "stole the show" at free at the dee and that is something you will have to live with on this site.

My self obsessed comment was slightly wide of the mark, you appear to believe this thread has been mostly having a go at Girl Said No when in fact its you and the comments on your web site that have generated the most reaction, so you are band obsessed, sorry.

I stick by my paranoid comment though, in fact you just strenghened my claim.

G...