aberdeen-music

average speed cameras

catherine

has anyone else come across these?

although i think only two places in britain have them.... they are such a bitch.

theres a heap of them on the road between kilmarnok and ayr.

for anyone who doesnt get them, they work out your speed at the first one, then they know what time you should be at the next one so if you speed up to say 80 in between then they know because you pass the second camera too soon.

and there are like 5 pairs in the space of a few miles :-(

im glad my dad had told me about them or i wouldnt have been paying attention.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/scotland/4681507.stm

The Speed Enforcement Camera System (Specs) will track drivers over a 28-mile length of the A77 and calculate their average speed.

The stretch of road between Ayr and Girvan is an accident blackspot with 15 fatalities and 314 accidents between 1999 and 2004.

The 775,000 initiative consists of 40 banks of hi-tech cameras at points between Bogend Toll, north of Ayr, to Ardwell, south of Girvan and is the largest in the UK.

i dont get it though. the bit of road i drive on is just a straight forward dual carriageway. but im not too sure on the other bit it talks about going to girvan. but 40 cameras in 28 miles?? someone at uni was saying its like one of the most expensive streches of roads for tax payers now.

*edit* i would like to say im not complaining because i like to speed, but i am a confident driver and sometimes sit around 75 mph, but its annoying because you have to be very careful and drive below 70 the whole way just incase you accidently speed up on a hill or something. although im not too sure if these cameras will fine you if you go over 70, or if they are set to 85 like the others *shrugs*

Although the cameras all face the same direction they monitor both oncoming and outgoing traffic. Good news for Motorcylces tho...They can do any speed they want as long as they drive head-on towards the cameras cos they only have number plates at the back!

hmm would the cameras covering the other side of the road not be able to see the licence plate if they looked through the records.

im not too sure how it all works.

i got banned last year doing an average of 92 MPH between Aberdeen and Dundee, i passed one trapper and he didn't come after me so i just kept hammering along. Another trapper pulled me up coming into Dundee, he apparatly got a radio from the first one. They did a time distance speed thing on me and fucked me over.

I was going to say i stopped for a piss and a coke but i don't think they would of found it funny.

Im back on the road now though, bwahahaha!!

zoomzoomzoom

hmm would the cameras covering the other side of the road not be able to see the licence plate if they looked through the records.

im not too sure how it all works.

From what i've seen of them they hang above the road attached to a structure which spans the road and they all face the same direction no matter which way the traffic flows. Top Gear had a bit about them a while back and its them who mentioned the bit about motorcyclists.

There were two on King St a year or so ago, just outside the Bobbin attached to the top of lamp-posts.

From what i've seen of them they hang above the road attached to a structure which spans the road and they all face the same direction no matter which way the traffic flows. Top Gear had a bit about them a while back and its them who mentioned the bit about motorcyclists.

There were two on King St a year or so ago' date=' just outside the Bobbin attached to the top of lamp-posts.[/quote']

they hang on a post in the middle of the road, two on each side and the face the way that the traffic is going.

look at the photo on the bbc page i posted

Guest tv tanned
i got banned last year doing an average of 92 MPH between Aberdeen and Dundee' date=' i passed one trapper and he didn't come after me so i just kept hammering along. Another trapper pulled me up coming into Dundee, he apparatly got a radio from the first one. They did a time distance speed thing on me and fucked me over.

I was going to say i stopped for a piss and a coke but i don't think they would of found it funny.

Im back on the road now though, bwahahaha!!

zoomzoomzoom[/quote']

did it make you feel like a big man?

yup, from Kilmarnock all the way to Ballantrae. The amount of times ive driven between Stranraer and Aberdeen this year I've got used to them. Thing is once you pass Ayr, the road is so shit you can never go faster than fifty because you're always trapped behind a lorry or an old fucker in a corsa who thinks the limit is fifty mph on every road. I hate driving home. Three and a half hours to Ayr, then the last leg of fifty miles should only take about forty-five minutes but it is such a shit road it usually takes an hour and a half. plus the driving ability in South Ayrshire/Dumfries and Galloway takes a total dive from the rest of the country

yeah i've got aberdeen-stranraer down to about four hours. Over the last three years ive worked out what times are best for traffic, make sure not to hit dundee or glasgow at peak times. When I went up last week managed to get from the kingston bridge to the Stirling slip in six minutes.

We should have a race sometime haha

i got banned last year doing an average of 92 MPH

I got banned for hitting a van at about 15mph...the amount of fucking shit I got off people who usually drive over 120mph was unreal....of course the car wasn't insured so that automatically makes you a murderer and worst driver ever. The difference being, had I hit a kid at 15mph, they'd have a bruise at most (I should know I've been hit by cars on numerous occasions in my youth) and in those cases for all it mattered the drivers could have had no license/insurance/been 12 years old anyway....even with performance brakes, halting at speeds in excess > 90mph is death for whoever is on the opposite end...and no amount of fucking insurance gives a family back the people you slay.

Of course, in this case, its called an accident, where as I get "wreckless driving".

Made my day reading that you got banned mate, fair few other folk I know who I can't wait till they got caught....anyone know of a speeders grass line? :D

speeders grass....an oxymoron :D

yeah i've got aberdeen-stranraer down to about four hours. Over the last three years ive worked out what times are best for traffic' date=' make sure not to hit dundee or glasgow at peak times. When I went up last week managed to get from the kingston bridge to the Stirling slip in six minutes.

We should have a race sometime haha[/quote']

haha maybe. cept i dont get to take the car anymore :-(

im at uni in ayr and was moving stuff into my new flat so borrowed the car for that. i dont get to keep it there :-(

im sooo glad the motorway has opened up. no more 40 mph roadworks. bleh. they were soo annoying

a few weeks ago i got back from glasgow in 2 hours - in a 1 litre corsa with 5 people in.

needless to say' date=' the car is fucked now.[/quote']

Needless to say, you're lying.

A 1.0 litre Corsa does a max speed of 96mph....i just checked. You wouldnt even get close to that with 5 people on board. Mid-80s if you're lucky. Also, distance from Aberdeen to Glasgow is 146 miles. In two hours, that means an average speed of 73mph.

Laughable.

Needless to say' date=' you're lying.

A 1.0 litre Corsa does a max speed of 96mph....i just checked. You wouldnt even get close to that with 5 people on board. Mid-80s if you're lucky. Also, distance from Aberdeen to Glasgow is 146 miles. In two hours, that means an [b']average speed of 73mph.

Laughable.

i did, 95 most of the way, floored, all the way.

4 witnesses!

ask lynsey, she was there

also i've got mine up to 99mph so suck it!

Guest tv tanned
i did' date=' 95 most of the way, floored, all the way.

4 witnesses!

ask lynsey, she was there

also i've got mine up to 99mph so suck it![/quote']

the day you wrap yourself round a tree and take four people with you, this statement will probably be used in a police safety advert.

tool.