aberdeen-music

anyone heard anything about the new sony mp3 player?

framheim

hell, sony definately arent hangin about getting new walkman (walkmen?) out

i bought my NW-HD1 last november when it was prtty new out - HD3 out a few months later followed by the HD5 more recently, and now something new

(there was a HD2, which i think was the HD1 in new colours, maybe the same thing for HD4 or the japanese superstition about 4's - check boss pedals for example, none are xx-4's they all jump from 3-5)

it will be interesting to see how they improve on the HD5, methinks a slightly different control layout to make it easier to use or something (basically one of the only criticisms of the unit was the controls)

damn, my still rather flashy (to me at least) walkman is hopelessly out of date now

David

I still use a MiniDisk player.

Msotly because I can;t be bothered to work out how to install USB2.0 ports in my computer which I'm told I;d need.

Also, if yor music is saved in i-tunes, can yous till transfer it to a Sony? Someone said that they'll only wrk on Apple things, and I-Pods are ugly.

Though that bean thing is also ugly. Surely they are still going to do the proper Walman oines though?

Also' date=' if yor music is saved in i-tunes, can yous till transfer it to a Sony? Someone said that they'll only wrk on Apple things, and I-Pods are ugly.[/quote']

The only way you can transfer to a Net sony product is via a USB cable and their SonicStage software, which is their iTunes type product. You can load in MP3/WAV/WMA/etc files into its library though, so it shouldn't be hard to load in your iTunes files if they're correctly ID3 tagged.

The only way you can transfer to a Net sony product is via a USB cable and their SonicStage software' date=' which is their iTunes type product. You can load in MP3/WAV/WMA/etc files into its library though, so it shouldn't be hard to load in your iTunes files if they're [b']correctly ID3 tagged.

what does that mean?

And can you just buy USB2.0 ports?

I can;t actualy afford a new Walkman, but still, it'd be nice to know these things

what does that mean?

And can you just buy USB2.0 ports?

I can;t actualy afford a new Walkman' date=' but still, it'd be nice to know these things[/quote']

id3 tags are the way music tracks are normally named, artist, track name, etc... so different programmes can all read the correct track names (basically how a file is xxx.mp3 or whatever, but more fancy) if you record stuff via itunes or sonicstage or so on it will create teh tags as you are writing it (there is a huge database of all the information for most cds online which these programmes get it from)

you should be able to buy usb2 ports, but i have no idea how much or whatever, i guess they would work like loading in a new hard drive or cd drive or whatever on the computer, i dont know exactly how they would be plugged in or so on though, but it would involve faffing about inside the computer, not just plugging them into a normal usb socket

the new one looks slightly more 'designed' (though i prefer the hd5) and it seems like they are trying to get the interface working a bit smoother, however much i love my sony, the wheel on ipods is excellent for quickly navigating huge lists of artist and beats a normal button hands down, so i guess it is sony just continually trying to get their products better

personally i wouldnt want photos or anything, i want a walkman to play music, and thats all, it only gets switched on then stuck in my pocket, a colour screen would just be adding excess technology that i wouldnt want and bumping up the price

David