aberdeen-music

Bass amps - repair or discard?

Smooth_groover

After almost 6 years of heavy use, my bass amp packed in last night. I have/had a Laney HCM60B amp and last night, it simpy stopped working! I tried my guitar through my mates amp just to make sure it wasnt the guitar at fault. So, my question is - repair or replace?

I'm not exactly sure what the fault is, I'm just not getting any sound whatsoever (and yes the volume is up). Is there a standard repair charge for amplifiers, or does it depend on parts needed? Also, does anyone know roughly what I can expect to pay for this?

If I decide to go down the replacement route, can anyone recommend another amp? I would have a budget of about 400-450. It doesn't have to be another Laney amp - I would consider other brands.

So, any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

:cheers:

After almost 6 years of heavy use' date=' my bass amp packed in last night. I have/had a Laney HCM60B amp and last night, it simpy stopped working! I tried my guitar through my mates amp just to make sure it wasnt the guitar at fault. So, my question is - repair or replace?

I'm not exactly sure what the fault is, I'm just not getting any sound whatsoever (and yes the volume is up). Is there a standard repair charge for amplifiers, or does it depend on parts needed? Also, does anyone know roughly what I can expect to pay for this?

If I decide to go down the replacement route, can anyone recommend another amp? I would have a budget of about 400-450. It doesn't have to be another Laney amp - I would consider other brands.

So, any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

:cheers:[/quote']

Have you tested the speaker?

how did it go south? was it just bust when you tried switching it on, or did it suddenly do silent, or smoke or pop loudly or anything before dieing?

if it was bust when you tried switching on something could have been shaken loose carting it about or something, or if it went out with a bang it is more likely something has popped

have you checked all fuses and whatnot? it could only be a case of replacing a fuse and it will be back working perfectly again.

David