Best International Band (supported by 4Music): Kings Of Leon

Best TV Show: The Office

Rock 'N' Roll Woman Of The Year: Brody Dalle

Best UK Band (supported by BPI): The Libertines

Best Album (supported by Virgin Megastores): Radiohead - 'Hail To The Thief'

Godlike Genius: Ozzy Osbourne

Originally posted by delboy:

that actually is a good point christie

if i had my way the nme wouldn't comment on anything, the useless arse licking whoever is trendy and will sell papers shites

But the NME makes them trendy. If you read often enough how great something is you'll eventually believe it. It's a bit like propoganda but they haven't got round to dropping it out of planes yet.

Kings Of Leon? Do real people actually like this band? Of course, if the propaganda theory holds true that would mean the results could say what they like. And The Libertines? I never thought I'd see a Menswear tribute band... perfect in almost every way, except that the former washed once in a while.

I'd like to be thrown out of a plane when I die. I don't want to be cremated or buried, I'd just like to be tossed bodily from a plane after being embalmed with glitter. Preferably like to be dropped on the Trooping of the colour or match point in the Wimbledon final; something I could really ruin.

yeah the libertines, never saw them in the same light after you made that menswear comparison. so typical of an 'NME' band of the new millenium.

like that bit they wrote on glasgow a couple of months ago, they're stupid clueless attempts at journalism rarely spread out of the capital unless its one of their cliche ridden rock n roll excess tours.

and zane lowe best radio show? the man sounds like a deranged lunatic on speed

Originally posted by Paranoid Android:

Philip Hall Radar Award: Franz Ferdinand

Thats the only award I agree with...

Originally posted by Paranoid Android:

Best UK Band (supported by BPI): The Libertines

yuck yuck yuck yuck

I can't listen to them without thinking "junkie"...and not because I like to think of old Liber8 tracks

Guest stuartmaxwell

the sad thing is i buy the nme every week, i tend to throw it accross the room claiming that its shite, then buy it the next week and do the same

anyone else sick of hearing about that pile of shite franz ferdinand yet?

that fucking shite wipes song is awful, i hate that band so much

It's definitely a hard habit to kick. My first NME was in 1988 - Morrissey drinking from a bottle of Ecover washing up liquid. Since then I've not missed an issue, despite the fact it enrages and depresses me now. I think those who started buying it when it was really good find the addiction harder to break. I think Delbert will back me up on this - we've often shared the same gripe.

Originally posted by patrick boo:

It's definitely a hard habit to kick. My first NME was in 1988 - Morrissey drinking from a bottle of Ecover washing up liquid. Since then I've not missed an issue, despite the fact it enrages and depresses me now. I think those who started buying it when it was really good find the addiction harder to break. I think Delbert will back me up on this - we've often shared the same gripe.

i certainly do, i really am at the stage of actually seeking help to stop buying the NME, its far worse than trying to kick smoking, drinking or drugs. each week now is the same, i tell myself i'm not gonna buy it, i'm in safeways on a thursday and think 'now i know i shouldn't buy it, its gonna take me 10 mins to read, i dont even do the crossword anymore' but something nags in the back of my brain, 'if i don't buy it i may just miss something...'

as chicago once memorably said 'its a hard habit to break'

Guest stuartmaxwell

i stupidly asked denzil to get it in for me accros the road

fucking habits, just think how many pints of water i could get with 1.80

that cd last week was fucking woeful and as for the issue...

[rant]

with you there stu, i think my patience is finally beginning to snap. then i heard the wet behind the ears just out of journalist school (or even high school) editor conor mcnicholas doing a review show on the world service and he was so clueless about music it was bloody frightening.

didn't bother listening to the CD, and now i dont need to mr maxwell!

Guest Zombie Re-Munched

Ozzy Osbourne, christ, does this phony hero worship with this cunt ever give up?

How this stuttering shuddering bug-eyed drug abusing shitbrain who can barely fucking stand or string a sentence half the time gets so much televisual exposure is beyond me, thats not entertainment or comedy, its just depressing and woeful that people need to find entertainment in that dismal old buffoon.

Its like going into the cancer or leaukemia wards of a hospital and trying to find humour in them, its fucking grim and appalling and why anyone allows this trashy programme to perpetuate just beggars belief.

MTV should be fucking ashamed of themselves, its not entertainment at all, its just morbid rubbernecking.

Guest Zombie Re-Munched

NME represents nothing about music for me, its written by posh Oxbridge graduate students who got their hack job through nepotism more than anything, why oh why people consider the NME to be some kind of sacred authority or harbour any decent realist opinions on music at all in this country is extremely hilarious.

The NME is one of the most snobby publications in this country! Its like the Harpers & Queen of the British indie music scene!. Its the most gullible fashion-victimised music publication this side of Kerrang, suddenly Glasgow is the new rock Mecca!...

Glasgow has always produced decent bands and been a place where good musicians have come from so why NME printed such patronising shit as that just makes me laugh at their utter cluelessness and totally-out-of-touch attitude it displays towards music in this country.

They have no relevance whatsoever yet they act like a sacred cow who have an authority on whats cool and what isn't here.

The only relevance they have is to the advertisers and promoters keeping their publication afloat, NME are too influenced by those people, NME used to be a publication where interesting ideas were bandied around but now its become highly affected by the money of the advertisers.

NME are so dishonest now, they just big everyone who is cool right now up and kick down everyone they used to say was cool. I think its fucking hypocrisy how Oasis and Blur and even Jarvis Cocker get so much stick from NME when NME relied so heavily on them to sell their fucking rag a few years ago.

Put it this way, i can remember a time when writers like Steven Wells, David Quantick or Johnny Cigarettes would've ripped shit like The Darkness or Kings Of Leon apart, nowadays there's no-one like them guys, just a bunch of poshkids trying to replicate Lester Bangs' style of writing, its hilariously patronising and thats the only entertaining thing about it all, the fact that its become everything you thought it would never become.

They just seem to jump at every whim of the record companies now, everything they write is supremely affected by them, because if they don't say nice things about The Darkness or Kings of Leon or the latest inconsequential drivelish indie band then NME don't get their revenue.

Its as simple as that.

Guest stuartmaxwell

i liked melody maker

it was pretty good and had a lot of wit in it, it also left the reader to make their own mind, unlike the nme which forces stuff down the throats of the masses (then turning on them when they are recording their new album)

anyone remember the vines?terris, crashland etc etc