aberdeen-music

80s Singing Part Two

betamax

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone who knew Alex quite well around the time his first band flopped and he was busy designing his new band FF.....your theorey is actually spot on to what i heard from said person ' date=' but hey yeh, at least they got there ahead of the pack.....its the follow through copy bands, who are [b']actually guilty of copying a copy band that are the ones I try to avoid

Interpol are fucking shite btw (apart from comedy value)....like a butlins band doing joy division covers....oh fuck!....talk about cashing in on someone elses ideas!

But the fact is that they aren't copying the copy bands, they just share influences and a sound which mean they get signed by record companies who wanna make some money and that is why there are plenty of them. The Departure are in no way copying Franz Ferdinand nor are Bloc Party.

exacto>mundo>

example of band with songs so good* it seems they started the style themselves THE KILLERS' date=' FRANZ FERDINAND, FISCHERSPOONER

example of bands lazily apeing current zeitgiest in order to get some quick exposure THE BRAVERY, BLOC PARTY, INTERPOL, THE DEPARTURE, FUTUREHEADS, KAISER CHEIFS

see what i did, copied someone elses words and re-packed them as my own!....dead clever eh? :D

i also blame the NME but mostly its sponge headed readers

dunno if Razorlight fit into the debate though......they are just too shit to even discuss

*i still dont like FF much but can acknowledge they can write tres decent songs[/quote']

If i put my self in your way of thinking then the Killers would have copied Hot Hot Heat.

As a fan of Interpol I totally disagree with them being part of the current zeitgeist - they were around in 2001 before any of the other bands you have mentioned Betamax and were not exactly popular. Their last single C'Mere charted at No.19 - hardly cashing in on a new wave. And I don't think they sound especially like Joy Division - far more accessible and without the musically reflected torment. Again, smart clothing and a driving bass line and people jump to immediate conclusions. On further listens you will find they have far more musical depth than Joy Division.