aberdeen-music

Kick ass

Afro Droid

I get excited by the prospect of such fine rock shows, excited enough to tell the world, but these threads quickly dissappear, while threads about fucking Thursady go on for ages and usually culminate in Jamsey arguing with someone.

Anyways, thought some people that saw EES at Fudgenight might be interested.

Originally posted by spellchecker:

i think it's quite clear that not many in aberdeen are interested in antiproduct, considering only about twenty people turned up to their last gig. did you ever put the idea of playing drakes to alex?

Alex likes Kef, he's good mates with Paul. The count at the last AP gig was 17, and only about 4 people paid in, the rest had followed the band around Scotland. It was also the best time I've seen them, out of about 10 times. I love AP, and recently re-discovered my love of the first album.

"Bungee jumping people die...."

That's not the point though, whether I'm on the cutting edge of fashion or not is it? Today's fashion is tommorow's laughing-stock. Are Glassjaw as popular as they were a year ago? I don't see them on the cover of Kerrang anymore. You know as well as I do that trends come and go, and post hardcore/emo has probably already peaked in terms of its time in the limelight.

Guest highroller

I think its like anything else though!! Like with nu-metal..the quality stays around!!

I just think the whole new movement of punk and hardcore (post or metalcore) is going to stay around as it appeals to a much wider cross section of music fans...

Oh and what with HIGHLY anticipated new albums this year from the likes of Strung Out,Finch,Taking Back Sunday,Atreyu,Eighteen Visions then its only become more and more in your face.....

Oh and re Glassjaw....you should know how this works man....what have they had to promote recently...? Nothing...are they touring? No....Of course they aint gonna get magazine covers are they?? I dont like them but I see why people do and when they re-appear with a third album...they will be everywhere!

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

I think its like anything else though!! Like with nu-metal..the quality stays around!!

I just think the whole new movement of punk and hardcore (post or metalcore) is going to stay around as it appeals to a much wider cross section of music fans...

Really?! You honestly think that the types of bands you like have the same mass appeal of nu-metal like Limp Biscuit? I'm not suggesting that it's a bad thing that they don't, but surely you see that a band like Everytime I Die are never going to have a big hit.

And nu-metal? There are virtually no 'big' nu-metal bands at all now. Maybe Linkin Park, but they're more of a pop band, Korn have floundered and lost most of their fanbase to emo, and Limp Biscuit are a laughing stock.

Oh and what with HIGHLY anticipated new albums this year from the likes of Strung Out,Finch,Taking Back Sunday,Atreyu,Eighteen Visions then its only become more and more in your face.....

Sorry Ben, I can't really see Atreyu playing Top of the Pops anytime soon, Finch maybe, seeing as they've obviously employed a stylist and done some major airbrushing to their new promo shots. Finch are the Spineshank of emo.

I know you like this stuff a lot right now, all I'm saying is that the emo scene has about 18 months left in it before slinks back into the underground and is replaced by the next big thing.

Guest highroller

no no no what im saying is that these bands have a longer lasting appeal and are going to be "classic" bands where people will listen to them for years to come.

Yes, I truly believe it. The climate is changing and kids are growing wiser and search out underground bands with a great hunger. Its so easy now for a smaller band to have a classic song!

Shouting Myke have whats regarded as a classic called "only someone!"

I didnt mention mass appeal I just mean the longevity... guess the bands are very different to nu-metal in the way they are less....throwaway? Deftones: Come out, get called nu-metal, now they are called post hardcore...whatever they have survived and are very successful because they have more about them than alot of bands that came out and/or were influenced by them!

I think the harder it is to pigeon hole a band the better....they are usually the ones that stay around nowadays!!

Face it....Finch class themselves a rock band...they dont like the "emo" tag and say it doesnt apply to them!! It doesnt! They also say that if they came out 4-5 years ago they woukd be called nu-metal and thats true...Jesus, Hundered reasons were called nu-metal when they had that unsigned buzz about them for a while!!

Glassjaw are a huge band because they have that something about them that is extreme beu they still appeal whereas Atreyu's career will last as long as Gj's but on a different level because of the style of their rock and presentation is different...darker in a sense!

As for Finch having a stylist....dont be silly...you know that isnt true!! Explain the state of the bas player if they do!! To be honest thats a very archaic view about major labels nowadays to think they preen a band to the image they want...so what they are five young dudes and the singer is a heart throb...wow call the rock police!!

Excuse me if im wrong but isnt Danny wildheart lusted after by LOTS of young and old women alike????

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

no no no what im saying is that these bands have a longer lasting appeal and are going to be "classic" bands where people will listen to them for years to come.

Fair enough, some of these bands probably will be around in years to come, it just seems you're confusing popular with good.

Yes, I truly believe it. The climate is changing and kids are growing wiser and search out underground bands with a great hunger. Its so easy now for a smaller band to have a classic song!

I think that's bollocks, sorry. Da Kidz know more about underground music? Bullshit, the kids know it's cool and fashionable to be into the underground, but that'll pass pretty quickly when the next big rock trend comes along. Finch are no more underground than Avril Lavigne, they're just marketed in a different way. Majors are clever that way. It's maybe easy for a smaller EMO band to have a hit, but that's because emo is the new cool, I can't imagine the same would apply to say, Drugdealer Cheerleader, or Rat Daddy.

Shouting Myke have whats regarded as a classic called "only someone!"

I've heard of the band, but not that song, can't be that much of a classic.

I didnt mention mass appeal I just mean the longevity... guess the bands are very different to nu-metal in the way they are less....throwaway? Deftones: Come out, get called nu-metal, now they are called post hardcore...whatever they have survived and are very successful because they have more about them than alot of bands that came out and/or were influenced by them!

The Deftones have lasted because they are a good band with a broad mass appeal. There's nothing hardcore about them at all.

Face it....Finch class themselves a rock band...they dont like the "emo" tag and say it doesnt apply to them!! It doesnt! They also say that if they came out 4-5 years ago they woukd be called nu-metal and thats true...Jesus, Hundered reasons were called nu-metal when they had that unsigned buzz about them for a while!!

Man, people I know who like Finch call them emo. Emo is a tag that gets denied all the time.

As for Finch having a stylist....dont be silly...you know that isnt true!! Explain the state of the bas player if they do!! To be honest thats a very archaic view about major labels nowadays to think they preen a band to the image they want...so what they are five young dudes and the singer is a heart throb...wow call the rock police!!

C'mon man, that picture of them in Kerrang a couple of weeks ago (accompanying the story about how their drummer is too shite to get to play of their album), looks sooooo heavily treated. The leader kid didn't even look like the same guy from their other pictures.

Excuse me if im wrong but isnt Danny wildheart lusted after by LOTS of young and old women alike????

As far as I know he's never used fake tan though. Or at least had his photo touched up for publicity purposes.

Guest highroller

Dude, I truly respect you and you know that!

The thing is...Im never ever going to get your views to change...this argument could burn on and on!

We are both as stubborn as each other!

Im just gonna bow out...if you wanna see it as a victory on this one then fair enough! I see it as stopping a discussion that wont end to be honest!!

I do however want to say one thing! Finch are not "emo"...whats emo anyway..please define it without harking back to rites of spring, dag nasty blah blah fucking blah.....

If you take the bands that are dubbed as "emo" NOWADAYS then finch sound NOTHING like them...far too heavy!!

later chief!