aberdeen-music

Where have all the good gigs gone again

Guest Tommyboy

Guest Tommyboy

Decent bands seem to have dried up again with the exception of Teenage Fanclub and the Fall.

Last gig I was at Lemon Tree was SLF in March although it was probably the worst I had ever seen them.

Places like Moshulu, the tunnel, kef and even cafe drummond are getting gigs you should be getting. Havn't been to the tunnel but don't like any of the others as a venue.

Even Dundee is starting to get some decent gigs at the likes of Fat Sams, why are these bands not coming to Aberdeen?

I have had to go to Glasgow to see the Go-Betweens and Silencers recently. This is the quality of bands you should be getting not tribute band after tribute band

I notice "The Beat" who were at LT last year and were excellent have recently played at KEF. did you try to get them back. Also last year the Undertones played KEF and not the LT. Why?

I have been a member for several years and was averaging at least a gig a month but over the last 18 months the quality of Bands has dropped dramatically. Is there a reason for this

I will find it very difficult to renew my membership if things don't improve

Also free & reduced offers have virtually dried up and when there is one it is usually for a play or something which is of No interest to me at all

Hope things are going to improve soon as I miss my nights out at the Lemon Tree

I agree, to an extent. The latest LT brochure offered few high-profile acts, other than people who have been before (Chris Hillman, Bert Jansch). The thread on favourite LT gigs shows what great alternative bands have played at LT over the years, but it's more than likely that few people on here will have a favourite gig from those offered for the next 6 months

But then again, maybe a lot of bands are occupied with playing at festivals or recording albums just now. And i'm sure the place would've been full for Bert Jansch, anyway

Feedback's always welcome, particularly with constructive suggestions, but i think that even a very concise selection of acts we've had over the last 6 months makes pretty impressive reading, and covers an amazing range of musical styles:

The Skatalites; The Bad Plus, Mick Jones' Carbon Silicon; Dougie Maclean, The Rezillos, Ocean Colour Scene; Francis Dunnery; Denys Baptiste; The Delgados; The Kills; Salsa Celtica; KT Tunstall; Brian Auger; Sharon Shannon and Eliza Carthy; The Subways; Martin Taylor; Love; Michael McGoldrick; Th' Legendary Shack*Shakers (who did feature in the all time favourite gigs list), The Music; Gruff Rhys, Roots Manuva; Hot Chip; MYLO; Casbah Club; Paul Brady, Battlefield Band and London Elekticity.

Ancient Mariner is correct that the summer is a quieter time for us. As it's fetival and holiday season we've no evening gigs scheduled for July allowing us the chance to refurbish, but on either side of that we have Sons and Daughters and Mother and the Addicts, Acoustic Ladyland, LCD Soundsystem, Benny Gallagher; Terne Chave, Aberdeen International Youth Festival, Gwyneth Herbert, Hem, Midge Ure, and if you like The Beat you should give This R 2 Tone a look. There are also many more to be annouced very shortly including The Undertones on Sunday the 25th of Sept.

That's not to mention some of the talented local bands who've played here, such as Little Kicks, Karloff, GirlSaidNo, AKA the Fox who are well worth checking out at only 5 / 3.25.

Also, since the start of the year we've exceeded the advertised amount of Regulars freebies of one a month. Excluding theatre and dance, the shows offered have been Stephen Fretwell; Martin Speake; El Presidente; Ummagumma; Keith James; The Brogues and Paddy Rasta; Keith James' Songs of Nick Drake and Croft No. 5.

Furthermore the cost of Regluar's membership has been static for several years now, and I think it's still great value, but if there are things we can do to improve it please let me know.

Guest Tommyboy

Where have all the good gigs gone?

I understand what you're saying Jamie but although I have pretty wide it tends to be guitar orientated.

I forgot about the Rezillos, both times they've played they've been great. Ocean Colour Scene were damn fine too. More like this please. Ithink these 2 plus SLF and the brogues (surprisingly good) is all I have been too this year

As for the rest you mentioned with one ot two exceptions I have to ask WHO??

Thought about the Kills, KT Tunstall and the Delgados vastly overated, The Music released one of the worst albums I've ever heard. Bought Mylo album, was all right for about 2 listens like most dance music

As for playing festivals this means that if they are playing in Scotland why not up herre the day before or day after?

There ar still loads of bands touring Scotland and playing venues no bigger than the Lemon Tree

I think the problem is that there is only a certain amount of bands that are going to come up to Aberdeen and there's more competition between venues than there used to be. The bands are still playing in Aberdeen but instead of there only being 2 or 3 venues there are now about 6 all fighting for similar acts.

The Lemon Tree has always had more varied types of music; whereas Moshulu goes for rock/metal acts, the LT is open to pretty much everything, world music, pop, jazz, dance, rnb. They may not be to everyones tastes but normally seem to get a fairly good turn out.

I don't think it's fair to say that a gig isn't good just because you haven't heard of them. Like I say, plently of 'big names' play the LT, but not all are featured in NME. I'm not saying that I've heard of all of them, far from it, but it isn't just folk in typical guitar bands that are popular.

Out of interest. What Moshulu gigs have you frequented.

Just to see if we are getting our programming correct.

Best

Ross

erm, none on my part.

I'll probably go to Dresden Dolls out of curiosity.

Personally, the gigs at Moshulu haven't been to my tastes so far but I'm always hopeful smething will turn up.

Our Music Programer, or other bookers for venues will have to verify if this is true for bands, but in my previous job which involved booking DJs for a club-night I found there was an embargo on booking artists to play elsewhere in Scotland on the weekend of T in the P.

"I don't think it's fair to say that a gig isn't good just because you haven't heard of them. Like I say, plently of 'big names' play the LT, but not all are featured in NME. I'm not saying that I've heard of all of them, far from it, but it isn't just folk in typical guitar bands that are popular."

- I think this is a very good point. To me one of the best things about the Lemon Tree (and other small to mid size venues) is being able to catch bands in at close quaters that you may not know much about before the gig, but become big news afterwards. At The Lemon Tree these have included The Zutons, Bloc Party, Maximo Park, The Thrills, Keane, Radiohead, Snow Patrol; and bands that may never be huge but put on very memorable shows such as Pink Grease, Th' Legendary Shack Shakers, Electric Eel Shock, Quantic Soul Orchestra, DJ Format, The Bad Plus, James Yorkston, Adem, Uncle John and Whitelock.

Feedback's always welcome' date=' particularly with constructive suggestions, but i think that even a very concise selection of acts we've had over the last 6 months makes pretty impressive reading, and covers an amazing range of musical styles:

[/quote']

After logging out, I had a look at the Spring LT booklet, and I quickly realised I had been talking bollocks, as the gigs listed were only those up until June, and there were many fine alternative acts that have played or are to play in that time.

Keep up the good work!

- I think this is a very good point. To me one of the best things about the Lemon Tree (and other small to mid size venues) is being able to catch bands in at close quaters that you may not know much about before the gig' date=' but become big news afterwards. At The Lemon Tree these have included The Zutons, Bloc Party, Maximo Park, The Thrills, Keane, Radiohead, Snow Patrol; and bands that may never be huge but put on very memorable shows such as Pink Grease, Th' Legendary Shack Shakers, Electric Eel Shock, Quantic Soul Orchestra, DJ Format, The Bad Plus, James Yorkston, Adem, Uncle John and Whitelock.[/quote']

Great point Jamie. The Ltree puts on acts on their way up, those on the way down and those who are cults. Pleasing people all the time is an impossible task. Just ask Tony Blair...

Dave

Great point Jamie. The Ltree puts on acts on their way up' date=' those on the way down and those who are cults. Pleasing people all the time is an impossible task. Just ask Tony Blair...

Dave[/quote']

Tony who................

yes a fair point that looks a good list with the benefit of hindsite, the problem is that with

soo many shows in Aberdeen people tend to play it safe & not try more obscure shows

& it therefore diltutes turnout for all venues & promotors. I cetainly dont go to the LT

as much as i used to, mainly due other committments @ other venues.

Tony who................

yes a fair point that looks a good list with the benefit of hindsite' date=' the problem is that with

soo many shows in Aberdeen people tend to play it safe & not try more obscure shows

& it therefore diltutes turnout for all venues & promotors. I cetainly dont go to the LT

as much as i used to, mainly due other committments @ other venues.[/quote']

Fair enough, but things don't have to be 'obscure' to be good, music can be fun too.