aberdeen-music

Where to go?

Guest Radar

In a few weeks i get leave and intend to head on down to aberdeen . can you tell me which place i would enjoy visiting the most .

free drink is always a plus :)

pub crawls rule :)

drinking games :)

show me the venues :cheers:

well, there's various watering holes (Henry J Beans Kef, Triple Kirks, Cafe Drummonds, Drakes) only one 'alternative' club (moshulu) and a few music venues (Drakes, Drummonds, Lemon Tree, Kef and occasionally Henry J Beans) best thing to do is look out for flyers and posters and see whats going on. Drinking games depend on the company :) and free drinks...well, you can get 2 for 1 on cocktails in henry j beans if you're a student (or it might be 2 for 4, but tis good anyway :D)

cheesy 70s party music and chart hits, dance music and classic floorfillers, all drinks between 1 and 1.50, 3 rooms, djs, wednesday night at liquid is cheap as chips if you just want a laugh.

hjb's - good food and drinks

kef - great place to relax with your mates, drinks medium price - comfy private booths

triple kirks - round for a pound deal thursday nights, always good drinks promos any day

slains - atmospheric but a bit pricey sometimes

espionage - pish club/ bar in town- pricey and cheap n tacky - not recommended

moshulu - great alternative-y music venue, good crowd of people

drakes - great for live bands, bar not so good but thumbs up on the whole

drummonds - cool live bands from time to time with a nice pub/cafe feel

Depending

Depending on how many weeks there are until you're on leave, you may be able to add one more to your list:

The Moorings Bar is Aberdeens original Rock/Alt venue. Why bother with cheezy 70s retro nights when you can visit the real thing. It's like stepping into a timewarp.

The bar is famous for the quality of it's booze, and you'll find all sorts of weird and wonderful ways to get cost effectively pished.

The new sound system is arguably the best in town, certainly way beyond what you'd expect from a 200 capacity venue. There's also pinball and a retro arcade machine.

I recently stumbled on this review, it sums things up pretty well and if I ever see the guy that wrote it I'll buy him an evenings worth of drink:

http://scottishboozing.blogspot.com/2004_01_01_scottishboozing_archive.html

scroll down to second from the bottom of the page.

Flash