aberdeen-music

Interpol

slippy

Guest bluesxman

Which album did you get? They have 2! I bought Turn On The Bright Lights out of interest and loved it. Antics took a while to grow on me but is now a firm favourite - FOPP selling it for a fiver! Anyone who doesn't yet own it should get down there now!! Looks like I should see them twice this summer, U2 support and TITP, canna wait! :cheers:

Guest bluesxman
It was Antics I got. Would you recommend Turn on the Bright Lights. Out of interest when was TOTBL released and is there anywhere (FOPP etc) that have it cheap at the moment.

Cheers

Not sure exactly of the year offhand, think it was 2003 - haven't seen it going cheap in FOPP lately used to be about 7 squid in the old shop. Heartily recommend it, although it has a slightly different feel to Antics which I think is why I found Antics took a bit more getting into initially but now Evil and Slow Hands are constantly played around my house. :rockon:

Not sure exactly of the year offhand' date=' think it was 2003 - haven't seen it going cheap in FOPP lately used to be about 7 squid in the old shop. Heartily recommend it, although it has a slightly different feel to Antics which I think is why I found Antics took a bit more getting into initially but now Evil and Slow Hands are constantly played around my house. :rockon:[/quote']

It was autumn 2002 that TOTBL came out. I seem to remember it was going relatively cheap in Fopp a while ago. Antics is more instant than TOTBL in my opinion and ultimately better cause i think Interpol's songs work a bit better with slightly (but only slightly) warmer delivery than on TOTBL.

Guest bluesxman
mjg1971' date=' was wandering what other bands your into as it sounds like we have the same taste mate.[/quote']

Quite a wide and varied taste, random bands I like besides Interpol off the top of the head -

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion; Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds; Queens Of The Stone Age; Janes Addiction; Mark Lanegan; Nirvana; The Cult; The Cramps; Sons and Daughters; White Stripes; The Strokes; Television; Ramones; Jonathan Richman; Iggy Pop; PJ Harvey; Misfits; Guns 'n' Roses; DJ Shadow; Godspeed! You Black Emperor; Dirty Three; Low; Mogwai; Bauhaus; Soundgarden; Sisters Of Mercy; Arcade Fire; Dead Kennedys; AC/DC; Sandy Dillon; Massive Attack; David Holmes; Von Bondies; Tom Waits; some Captain Beefheart; Calexico; Ennio Morricone; Johnny Cash; Soundgarden; Sex Pistols; The Damned; The Clash; Danzig; some Miles Davis; Ananda Shankar; The Who; Jesus and Mary Chain; The Smiths; Pixies; U2; The Sonics; The Monks; 13th Floor Elevators; Roky Erickson; The Distillers; The Kills; The Specials; Augustus Pablo; Immortal Lee County Killers; Crass; David Bowie; Tricky; Willard Grant Conspiracy; loads more!

Guest bluesxman
It was autumn 2002 that TOTBL came out. I seem to remember it was going relatively cheap in Fopp a while ago. Antics is more instant than TOTBL in my opinion and ultimately better cause i think Interpol's songs work a bit better with slightly (but only slightly) warmer delivery than on TOTBL.

I bought TOTBL after reading about all the Joy Division comparisons because I love JD, and think they pretty well justified. So when Antics appeared it seemed a lot more 'poppy' (probably not the right term but ah well)....but funnily enough I listen to Antics a lot more now....

mjg1971 noticed you have Bauhaus in your list of band likes. I heard one of their songs (Stigmata Martyr) in the film Night of the Demons and loved it and have always pondered on wether to get one of their albums or not. You recommend any of their albums mate.

mjg1971 noticed you have Bauhaus in your list of band likes. I heard one of their songs (Stigmata Martyr) in the film Night of the Demons and loved it and have always pondered on wether to get one of their albums or not. You recommend any of their albums mate.

I have a copy of "Mask" - but they are nowhere near as acessible as Interpol. ANCIENT MARINER II may be able to help you better, he has "In the Flat Field", but I don't like that.

Roll on TITP, you should check out the band "Editors" too if you like Interpol, I'm assuming you haven't heard them... :cheers:

Stigmata Martyr is on In The Flat Field, but I'm here to tell you that it is just about the worst track on the album. It's the kind of pompous, cliched satanic nonsense that invented the whole "goth" thing. If you like it, you may not like the rest of the album, which is in a raw, post-punk vein. But, then again, you like Interpol, so......

Guest bluesxman
Stigmata Martyr is on In The Flat Field' date=' but I'm here to tell you that it is just about the worst track on the album. It's the kind of pompous, cliched satanic nonsense that invented the whole "goth" thing. If you like it, you may not like the rest of the album, which is in a raw, post-punk vein. But, then again, you like Interpol, so......[/quote']

In The Flat Field is the most consistent Bauhaus album in my humble opinion, the others tended to veer into some dodgy experimental territory. Which is why it's the only studio one I have bought on CD besides the Press The Eject And Give Me The Tape live one. The 2 CD singles compilations probably cover all you need unless you are obsessive about them. But Rosegarden Funeral Of Sores isn't on them so In The Flat Field still is a must buy for me for that track alone, I love it for some reason....5 quid in FOPP quite frequently, keep an eye out.