aberdeen-music

Help: Computer Problem

Skamikazee

Sorry to harass you guys with another computer help question my my laptop is screwed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its a Dell Inspiron 510m notebook running Windows XP.

When I switch it on it has the initial windows screen but then goes to an all black screen with a white bar filling up across the bottom of it, when the bar is almost full I get the message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup sing the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

My problem is that my laptop (which i bought really recently) didn't come with a startup disc (as far as I can see I got 3 discs and none of them are a startup one). Everything came pre-installed (this is the same as with my desktop comp, everything came pre-installed).

Any suggestions on what to do? I haven't been able to get through to Dell Support all day and now they are shut.

Cheers in advance.

If you bought the machine new from Dell you should have an operating system disc, it will either be green or blue..and will most likely say something like MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP on it (thats a guess ;)) You'll want to run through the setup, it'll be a blue screen and it will show you the currently installed operating systems. Hit 'r' as you the highlight the OS installed on C: and let it do its not-so-magic. TBH whenever I see the ntfs message I just wipe the fucker and start again, it could also be a knackered HDD though, ie. the drive head is fucked hence why it can't read the file....bit funny it can't read the NTFS file as this is the file format of your drive. If the over the top install doesn't work, then phone Dell. If they need to replace your hard drive, be firm and tell them that you will destroy the one your are returning as the data is your property. Wouldn't be the first time someone has bought a refurbed drive off them and been able to restore peoples bank details etc....

Dell cust support is the worst in the world, I always wanted to get my "STFU idiot" dell training so I could bypass the tech support and tell THEM the problem without 20 hours of troubleshooting, listening to an Irish moron reading me the same manual in front of my face. Left the company I was with before I got on the course :swearing:

Best one ever was when I phoned up to report a monitor which had begun smelling like it was burning and black smoke emitting from it, it was also making a dodgy noise.."Can ye switch that there monitor on for me laddy and let me me have a wee listen to it" ... "Yes, if you pay life assurance"...twats....

All you need is a copy of XP.

I got myself a Dell desktop a while ago, and the XP disk doesnt actually say XP on it, its Purple and says Dell.. Just figure out which disk has the operating system, set the system to boot off of the CD and then follow the on screen prompts.

I very much doubt your hard xrive is nackered, its probabaly caused from not shutting the system down properly. You should be able to carry out a repair, if not you can just reinstall Windows over the copy already on the HDD without losing everything else on the disk.

Bob

Problem:

I haven't been able to find the disc so I have borrowed one from my friend across the road. It's a purple XP set-up CD (does it matter if it's one for a desktop?). Now I'm not quite sure what do do with the disc, I've inserted it into the laptop then went to the boot menu, clicking to boot the hard drive did nothing. The error message said to click 'r' at some point to initiate repair but im not sure when to press it.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Update:

The laptop is still on the fritz but I spoke to Dell yesterday and they said they'd send me the discs I need and they have managed to do it (first good thing to come out of Dell tech support).

The Discs they sent me (and the info on them):

Drivers and Utilities-For reinstalling Dell Inspiron System Support (Blue in colour)

Operating System- Reinstallation CD Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (Lilac in colour)

Application-For Reinstalling Dell Inpiron Eurotools System Software (Green in colour)

Application-For Reinstalling Dell Inpiron Eurotools System Software (Blue in colour)

So I inserted the lilac CD but I'm not sure how to get to this setup screen to choose repair, just inserting it didn't do anything.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yer, hit F12 to get the set up menu, but make sure you tap it repeatedly until it comes up as soon as you switch the thing on.

I have to use it to boot my comp up from the hard drive every time I switch it on cause it's fucked. If I don't hit it early enough it doesn't work at all.

The above instruction worked and now im at a black screen that says:

Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality

Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart computer

c:\>

So yea, what do I enter now? Presumably nothing has been done yet so I don't enter EXIT

You hit R at the wrong time, type EXIT and restart, this time select INSTALL instead of repair, it will then on a blue screen display the current version of windows installed ina little blue box down at the bottom, highlight this selection and then press R to repair it...

I think thats right, its years since I've done this shit...

you should be able to highlight the partition and press R to repair it, failing that, reset , maybe you press R to repair a current version and then it shows you which version there are. COmputers aren't one of my strong points....but searching for stuff on google is!! :D

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Thats a full walk though what Im meaning, with screenshots!