aberdeen-music

Favourite type of pickups

JME

I am hoping to get a nice set of Bareknuckle Warpigs at some point. The sound of these are amazing. :D

yes!!! get them!! My mate john ripped his strat apart to fit them in and they sound brutal!

I've got stock gibsons in my les paul and a dimarzio evo. They're both nice.

I hear ya! Mark Knopfler's been playing a Silvertone recently' date=' and what he doesn't know about tone isn't worth knowing. Here's a pic from a show in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago:

[url']http://localhero.free.fr/2bgal/disp_img.php?id_img=711

Yeah, that's the animal! Heavy strings, an open tuning and stand back. The other ones that are really raw sounding are the ones that are about an inch across and have a diamond pattern stamped on them. Killer tone. Raw as hell.

Mark knows, so does Mike Henderson. Ever hear him play? Damn, that's a tone too. All cheap silvertone pickups.

Guest DustyDeviada
Yeah' date=' that's the animal! Heavy strings, an open tuning and stand back. The other ones that are really raw sounding are the ones that are about an inch across and have a diamond pattern stamped on them. Killer tone. Raw as hell.

Mark knows, so does Mike Henderson. Ever hear him play? Damn, that's a tone too. All cheap silvertone pickups.[/quote']

Yeah, Mike Henderson was playing on the last Knopfler tour, and to be frank, I think his playing showed Mark up a bit, which is saying something. I think it was him who turned Knopfler on to the Silvertones/Danelectros.

Since I wrote the earlier post I went to see Knopfler in Edinburgh and it was amazing. The tone he was getting from the Silvertone was great, I was in row three so I could hear the actual tone coming from his amp rather than through the PA. He also played slide on a double cutaway Danelctro that was given to him by Mike Henderson.

that's so cool. And Mike henderson is a killer player. For years I've wanted to get to his monday night gig at the bluebird cafe in Nashville that he does for beer money. he's an amazing harp player too.

but that silvertone sound of his just is a killer. right before I moved I borrowed a guitar that a friend got out of pawn- one of the silvertones that came with the amp in the case? oh my gawd what a tone. and the guitar weighed maybe all of 2 pounds!

• 2 weeks later...

EMG's all the way!

I use 2 emg 81's on a Dean ML '79. They have got to be the most hi-gain pickups ever. My amp is a marshall TSL60 head and even at very low volumes eg. less than 1, it sounds hevier than most amps fully cranked. To compare them to other high output pickups, my washburn nuno has the neck pickup from my dean and a dimarzio X2N in the bridge and even the X2N sounds thin and a bit pants at low volumes. I'm sure the X2N is dimarzio's most high output pickup. Plus EMG'S are used by metallica, slayer, zack wylde and basiclly every other metal band worth listening to. THEY ROCK! :rockon: