aberdeen-music

Terry Reid - Superlungs - Led Zep

The man originally chosen by Jimmy Page to front Led Zep will play the Tunnels on Wed June 29th.

Tickets 10 from The Tunnels and One Up (from Monday16th May)

Support from The Kitchen Cynic

Doors 8

Here is a wee introduction to the legend many consider to be the greatest rock vocalist of all time.

..there are only 3 things happening in England; The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Terry Reid..' Aretha Franklin circa 1968

..this man should have had my life Robert Plant.. the Joint ,Beverly Hills 2004

Terry Reid has an impossibly rich story to tell of his life from teen rock prodigy through all of his years in rock n'roll. He possesses an extraordinary, guttural vocal talent and is often called the finest British blue-eyed soulman, nicknamed Superlungs. More recently hes ventured out in Los Angeles with shows that are a talking point for intimacy, showmanship and his interpretive vocal style. Every once in a while his friends and peers will drop by and pay their respects; Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Keith Richards, Roger Daltrey and Donovan have all looked Terry up to play when they were in town.

Comparisons are often made with the vocal range and dexterity of Sam Cooke and Ben E King, though fans of Jeff Buckley, Ryan Adams or even Gomez and newcomers Haven would easily connect with his sound and acknowledge his influence

Coming out of the 1960's Terry Reid was on a roll he was a professional rock and roller with Peter Jay & the Jaywalkers at age 15, later pursuing his solo career and touring the UK, US and Europe extensively in the company of Cream, The Rolling Stones etc.

A catalogue of misfortunes have stood between Reid and the commercial success he surely deserves. As a breaking live act with a burgeoning fanbase he signed a management deal with the legendary hitmaker Mickie Most. The pair fell out badly over choice of material and direction and Terry was tied in legal knots for years to come. He has recently regained control of many his songs from the 1960s.

Every major label attempted to sign Terry Reid but it took Ahmet Ertegun and Atlantic Records to chisel a deal that would eventually release him from his enforced lay-off . During the interim period he moved to the US and would pay the rent by performing back-up vocals on albums for Jackson Browne and countless others though he continued to write and occassionally perform, including a still-talked-about-by-those-who-saw-it appearance at Glastonbry Fayre in 1971 and Mick & Biancas wedding in St.Tropez.

His comeback heralded a new sound, with RnB & Latin influences and this 1973 album River together with its successor the Graham Nash produced Seed of Memoryare regarded as the signature albums in Terrys output.

He's recorded 6 studio albums, the last official release being the Driver in 1991. His first two albums were re-packaged by EMI in 2004 as Super Lungs: The Complete Studio Recordings 1966-69 comprising the albums Terry Reid and Bang Bang You're Terry Reid and a dozen unreleased tracks and demos. You can hear him diving through his jazz,folk and rock influences. This compilation provides some insight, perhaps, into the creative and commercial disputes that swirled around his head as a young artiste.

There are two live albums also available; Silver White Light from the Isle Of Wight Festival in 1970, this recording was available for many years as a bootleg before its belated release in 2004. The other live offering is Terry Reid - Alive a selection of tracks from the mid 90s.

Terry Reid is the musicians musician with the voice that has lost none of its power, still singing, still playing, still writing songs. In recent years his songs have featured in the soundtracks of independent films , the Criminal, Wonderland etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just back from Glastonbury where he played. I missed him myself, but spoke to a couple of people who saw him and they were very impressed.

I planned on seeing him, but was listening to Kangaroo Moon who were playing next door just before he was appearing and stayed for their whole set instead, because they were so good. A great mix of folk & psychedelia with stunning improvisation. When they finished the fiddle player said "you do know that Nigel Kennedy is playing round the corner don't you?". I'm afraid I've never heard Nigel Kennedy playing as well as she (Elliet Mackrell) did that night, so no regrets.

Haha, you my friend are sooooooo wrong. Shambolic he may have been but he has without question one of the greatest voices in rock and roll history.

I would have liked to have seen him with a full band too but he was awesome. As was Alan for the record, another underrated legend.

Well I don't have any of his records but I thought it trundled along rather nicely with just him and the keyboardist, and he definitely has a great rock voice! Yeah the Kitchen Cynics were fun, I got bubble stuff all over everything though :help: Chemist Shop Girl, Bike (well, about 15 seconds of!) and the Sundaram one were the best :)