aberdeen-music

On Location demos ? What would you pay ?

Compuphonic

Ok, an idea I've been toying with, looking for some feedback.

I've currently got the mobile capability to record to a good quality on 8 tracks simultaneously. Along with a couple of mics and compressors I can get results.

I don't have premises/facilities to record bands, but I do have the facilities to come to you, probably at your rehersal space.

While this wont give as good results as visiting a properly treated studio, it will offer a good, relatively clear demo.

I'm thinking along the lines of offering the service to record 2 songs for a fixed price, probably split roughly 8hrs recording, 8hrs putting it together/mixing. I'm open to suggestions on this, more time/less time ?

What sort of money would you pay for a service like this ? What would it need to offer ?

My incentive is to spend more time on my mixing/recording skills, and maybe pay off some kit that otherwise I might sell..

Am I thinking along the wrong lines, would everybody prefer to save up for a 'real' studio ?

Well, I think it would be a great idea to get a couple of bands to be some test subjects for you, so that you can iron out any difficulties you are likely to encounter from working on location.

the price would reflect the sound quality, which is why i think it would be good to ask some bands to be test subjects, for a very special introductory deal/price. if the demo quality turns out to be great, and apart from the sort of quality some of the local studios are doing, then i think you should charge a day rate, or a half day rate. it's up to you, but if it was me doing it, i wouldn't charge a fixed price for two songs, as you could end up with some super sloppy band that doesn't take recording seriously and will eat up all of your time. while a day rate can seem a little more expensive to some people, it does usually ensure that bands are much tighter so that less time is wasted when recording.

not a bad idea but you would really need to provide examples of the kind of quality you would get first...

and yes day pricing would be better, it makes the band "pull the finger out" when they have less time....

If the quality was up2 it you could undercut the prices of all the local studios and make a fair catch I reckon

Are you interested in getting involved ? If you have extra equipment to add to the pool even better' date=' but guess we need to see if there is a demand first..[/quote']

Heh, my equipment is old/broken/stolen pieces of shit...I also don't have the time between the day job and seeing to family I'm afraid....

It seems a great idea, the only flaw i can see is that not everyone has their own rehearsal space...I couldn't imagine you would be able to record a band practicing at say, Captain Toms, for one, the cost of renting the room with the added cost of a recording crew brought in would outweigh any value, plus you'd be recording about 3 bands at once :D Even in the recording room at Toms you can feel/hear the other rooms....I reckon the money is in having your own premises....

It seems a great idea' date=' the only flaw i can see is that not everyone has their own rehearsal space...I couldn't imagine you would be able to record a band practicing at say, Captain Toms, for one, the cost of renting the room with the added cost of a recording crew brought in would outweigh any value, plus you'd be recording about 3 bands at once :D Even in the recording room at Toms you can feel/hear the other rooms....I reckon the money is in having your own premises....[/quote']

Yeah I was trying to avoid going down the road of providing premises etc, and concentrate on pitching the idea a bands that were already a bit more established. I tend to think that you need somewhere to rehearse to be in the game seriously anyway (a generalisation I know).

Premises bring overheads, which pushes the whole thing towards a full time studio... which is a different beast altogether.. and not sure Aberdeen needs another budget studio.. I'm trying to pitch this idea at the folks that can't afford to go the studio route but still want a presentable demo..

also' date=' what sort of mics would you be using to record kits with?[/quote']

I'd need to buy/rent more mics if this idea came to anything.. not a problem.

You would be surprised at how decent a sound you can get from 3 mics with a bit of thought and plenty of blankets..

Alternatively the audio->midi stuff in Logic works pretty well these days, letting you replace a poor drum track with samples..

A lot of this would depend on the band in question..

Guest valley69

i might be interested in this...ill defo keep you in mind , the fact that its mobile also means that you can get some interesting sounds in places outwith a practise studio .

no idea on what sorta price though...