aberdeen-music

Who uses a tremolo arm here ?

JME

Anyway' date=' the Edge Pro II is Ibanez' new budget floating trem, I believe it replaces the 'lo-trsII' the same way the 'Edge Pro' replaced the 'Lo Pro' and 'Edge' trems. The Trem arm doesn't really have any machanism to stick in the bridge, if you tip the guitar it falls out :D

[/quote']

AH right I see, must be similar to the one on my brothers RG370DX which is his backup guitar... good guitar - but the bridge isn't the best

Yeah' date=' I've never quite understood this...is it one of those things you only notice when you're playing live and the volumes blasting out your amp? Last time I checked, my Trem equipped guitar actually had more sustain than my hardtail![/quote']

I believe it is true, hard tails and especially guitars where the strings go through the body do get better sustain... however, this is made null and void by the use of a compressor.

FOr live playing I almost always use one, and definately always for solos - if you have never tried one, go have a shot in BMs of something and you will see exactly what they do :p

In short, sustain of the guitar means jack shit when you run through a compressor!

Yeah' date=' I've never quite understood this...is it one of those things you only notice when you're playing live and the volumes blasting out your amp? Last time I checked, my Trem equipped guitar actually had more sustain than my hardtail![/quote']

there's pretty much no question, the effect of the springs on a trem will act to induce damping over the strings vibs, subsequently the sustain will be shorter/ decay quicker....this not an issue with a hard tail...

....as for trem guitar sustaining for longer than a hard tail in a live situation...my guess is that the particular lick/ note u judged to have more sustain happened to be more resonant for the gain/ volume/ guitar/ amp/ paticular note arrangement, sometimes i've found a guitar/ head/ gain will give rise to more sustain at certain notes on a neck, but as little as a semitone away sounds pretty dead by comparison...

Oh and i agree with the fact that MOST new teles are overrated overpriced pieces of crap unless you have a spare grand on you or find a rare one' date=' give me a strat any day.[/quote']

just to buck the trend...i got a pretty good fender american tele from R&B for about 600 bux.....did a bit of work on it my self...i'd say it gives the LP a reasonable run for its money in some respects....

I'm not saying its not true...I've just never experienced this sustain myself. I thought it may have only applied when the volumes blasting out your amp and resonating through the body. At low volumes at least, I dont really notice any lack of sustain compared to hardtails...unless its a really minute difference.

Maybe I just havn't tried a hardtail thats well enough setup...I once tried an Ibanez S470 in Bruce Millers with that 'ZR' trem which locks in the middle, man that thing sustained forever...

on a hardtail, there is usually a lot more contact between the strings and the body through the bridge, on a trem the thing is balanced on two knife edges, so there is less contact and less vibtration passed through

i notice more unplugged, my hardtail guitars have more sustain than my floyded one, this is negated when you use an amp with much gain on it though, as this helps compress the sound and keep the note going

a lot of other factors afffect the sustain too though, body woods (ie how dense the wood is) and neck joins both have a fairly big impact on sustain, as well as quite a few other factors

David

Thanks Scrooge but you just gave me a Neutral point! Don't even know how that happens...

I'm not sure what the Ibanez Edge Pro II bridge is ... havent had expeience of it' date=' but the model I have (RG1570) has the Edge Pro bridge, not Pro II, and it's fucking unbelievable... its the one that is on the Steve Vai/Satriani signatures aswell, and IMHO is better that the original Floyds![/quote']

i think the Edge pro 2 is what you find on the lower model Ibanez guitars. The Ibanez Jem 555 used to have it as well.

im buying myself an RG2550E soon which has the Edge Pro bridge :) i just need something a little more suited to playing more complex lead stuff, and my les paul is to fecking heavy to play all the time